Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhair stops growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim, a newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, a newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair stops growing
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
Is it true that one's hair has a set point at which it stops growing? My hair has been just a few inches short of my waist since I was about sixteen or so (that's 13 years!) and although it grew an inch right away once I started taking HF 37, it has stopped again. I trim it when I start seeing split or thin ends---usually every two months or so---and it doesn't seem damaged otherwise (I stay away from blow-dryers and heat styling), nor do I notice a lot of breakage and hair loss. I've had friends whose hair has laid dormant for awhile then suddenly started growing again, and I keep hoping that will happen to me, too. Is it likely this is as long as my hair will get? Just wondering.Kim
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
Hi, Kim!I have enjoyed your posts in Hair Politics and am glad that you are posting in Hair Talk, too.I want you to think about something. Why did your hair suddenly grow after taking Hair Formula 37? Personally, I think it may be because your hair could use some extra nutrients, namely B-Complex Vitamins, either in a daily dose of 50 or 100mg. As I stated last week, I think, there is nothing unusual about that formula. From my experience, the vitamins are more important than the amino acid complex in HF 37. You should be getting the bulk of your protein from your diet, with little red meat, if possible. Your body is really quite amazing because its major concern is feeding major organs like your heart, so that you can function effectively. Your hair is like an afterthought in the scheme of things. Give your body some extra nutrients and you might just get some extra growth.A set point for your hair is possible in the sense that you have a limited amount of time for your growth cycle. However, some people may not be able to determine the actual length of that growth cycle for a variety of reasons--lack of nutrition, stress, hormone levels, etc. In addition, there are even things which you can do to encourage the extension of your growth cycle like something as simple as brushing your hair to rid the scalp of shedding hair.I have to tell you that my hair never grew past my shoulders until the age of 17. Literally, within that year, my hair grew like never before and continued. I had great family hair genes and up until that time, I just wondered why they wouldn't "kick in":) My mom said my hormones normalized, but who knows. Her explanation is as good as any other. In subsequent years, I have added supplements to a good multivitamin which I always took. For me, they have definitely encouraged growth and contributed to the overall condition of my hair. The B-Complex Vitamin is key to your hair.Periodically, I receive e-mails from women about the growth and condition of their hair, asking for suggestions. One woman with whom I correspond has been able to go from a monthly growth rate of 1/4" to slightly over 1". She honestly believed that her hair would not grow. Obviously, it is growing:)With some adjustments to her diet and some supplements, she is good to go....and go....:)Hope this helps....Bye for now,Jade21Is it true that one's hair has a set point at which it> stops growing? My hair has been just a few inches> short of my waist since I was about sixteen or so> (that's 13 years!) and although it grew an inch right> away once I started taking HF 37, it has stopped> again. I trim it when I start seeing split or thin> ends---usually every two months or so---and it doesn't> seem damaged otherwise (I stay away from blow-dryers> and heat styling), nor do I notice a lot of breakage> and hair loss. I've had friends whose hair has laid> dormant for awhile then suddenly started growing> again, and I keep hoping that will happen to me, too.> Is it likely this is as long as my hair will get? Just> wondering.> Kim
lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
why do you keep writing that????
Kim, the not-so-newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the not-so-newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
(I promise, I'll come up with a better name). Thanks for the advice, Jade. I have to confess, ever since I returned to school, I eat like a college student, although I do take vitamins to try to atone. I'll look into the B-Complex Vitamins, as well as increasing my protein intake; I'm a vegetarian, so getting enough of it is a concern. Hopefully that will work; if it doesn't, well, I still have more hair than most people, so I'll just be happy with that.Anyway, thanks again.Kim
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:58am
> Hi, Kim!> I have enjoyed your posts in Hair Politics and am glad> that you are posting in Hair Talk, too.> I want you to think about something. Why did your hair> suddenly grow after taking Hair Formula 37?> Personally, I think it may be because your hair could> use some extra nutrients, namely B-Complex Vitamins,> either in a daily dose of 50 or 100mg. As I stated> last week, I think, there is nothing unusual about> that formula. From my experience, the vitamins are> more important than the amino acid complex in HF 37.> You should be getting the bulk of your protein from> your diet, with little red meat, if possible. Your> body is really quite amazing because its major concern> is feeding major organs like your heart, so that you> can function effectively. Your hair is like an> afterthought in the scheme of things. Give your body> some extra nutrients and you might just get some extra> growth.> A set point for your hair is possible in the sense> that you have a limited amount of time for your growth> cycle. However, some people may not be able to> determine the actual length of that growth cycle for a> variety of reasons--lack of nutrition, stress, hormone> levels, etc. In addition, there are even things which> you can do to encourage the extension of your growth> cycle like something as simple as brushing your hair> to rid the scalp of shedding hair.> I have to tell you that my hair never grew past my> shoulders until the age of 17. Literally, within that> year, my hair grew like never before and continued. I> had great family hair genes and up until that time, I> just wondered why they wouldn't "kick in":)> My mom said my hormones normalized, but who knows. Her> explanation is as good as any other. In subsequent> years, I have added supplements to a good multivitamin> which I always took. For me, they have definitely> encouraged growth and contributed to the overall> condition of my hair. The B-Complex Vitamin is key to> your hair.> Periodically, I receive e-mails from women about the> growth and condition of their hair, asking for> suggestions. One woman with whom I correspond has been> able to go from a monthly growth rate of 1/4" to> slightly over 1". She honestly believed that her> hair would not grow. Obviously, it is growing:)With> some adjustments to her diet and some supplements, she> is good to go....and go....:)> Hope this helps....> Bye for now,> Jade21> Is it true that one's hair has a set point at which itI have long, blonde, color-treated hair 4 in. from my waist. I take very good care of my hair. I take a multi-vitamin and 3 multi amino-acid tablets. Would a complex B-vitamin be too much added to my regimem?
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:58am
> I have long, blonde, color-treated hair 4 in. from my> waist. I take very good care of my hair. I take a> multi-vitamin and 3 multi amino-acid tablets. Would a> complex B-vitamin be too much added to my regimen?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:58am
Hi, Elisabella!Not at all. Either the 50 or 100mg would be fine with your regime. They are water soluble, so you don't have to worry about toxicity.Have enjoyed your posts and hope you have been well.All the Best,Jade21I have long, blonde, color-treated hair 4 in. from my> waist. I take very good care of my hair. I take a> multi-vitamin and 3 multi amino-acid tablets. Would a> complex B-vitamin be too much added to my regimem?
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:59am
Hi Jade,I just started taking the B-complex vitamin. Do you think that 100 mg would be better than 50 mg? Another thing. It seems like the Step 1 nutrition vitamins in the H37 Formula are just like any other nutrition vitamins, and the only difference is that they have you take extra amino acids (Step 2) along with the nutrition. Am I right? And one last thing. Lots of people are adding extra stuff to their multi-vitamins, like silica, amino acids, biotin, niacin, b-complex, protein, etc. If these are already included in the miltivitamin, which of these should I take more of, along with the multivitamin? I mean, I don't want to be constantly guessing what is best for my hair, and end up taking a whole buch of useless pills. It's best to know exactly what you need.Thanks,PD> Hi, Elisabella!> Not at all. Either the 50 or 100mg would be fine with> your regime. They are water soluble, so you don't have> to worry about toxicity.> Have enjoyed your posts and hope you have been well.> All the Best,> Jade21> I have long, blonde, color-treated hair 4 in. from my
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:59am
Hi, PD!> I just started taking the B-complex vitamin. Do you> think that 100 mg would be better than 50 mg?I take 100mg. You might want to try the 50mg and work up to the 100mg. Some people get a burst of energy when they haven't been taking them. This is the exception rather than the rule. If you do the work up, do it over a two week period.> thing. It seems like the Step 1 nutrition vitamins in> the H37 Formula are just like any other nutrition> vitamins, and the only difference is that they have> you take extra amino acids (Step 2) along with the> nutrition. Am I right?As I said, it's not a magical formula:) There is a company which has been in business for slightly over 30 years which offers a similar Step program. The difference is that the Step 2 amino acids concentrates on cysteine, methionine and nutritional yeast. HF37 aminos are a balanced amino formula which you can purchase at any health food store. In fact, some formulas are stronger.And one last thing. Lots of> people are adding extra stuff to their multi-vitamins,> like silica, amino acids, biotin, niacin, b-complex,> protein, etc. If these are already included in the> miltivitamin, which of these should I take more of,> along with the multivitamin? I mean, I don't want to> be constantly guessing what is best for my hair, and> end up taking a whole buch of useless pills. It's best> to know exactly what you need.This is hard to know because it is an individual choice depending on needs and preferences, even if we're just talking hair.As I have stated, I am not a fan of the usual amino complexes or individual aminos. Generally, I do not take them. If you wanted to, however, I can tell you about a great combination product by Solgar which is geared toward Hair, Skin and Nails. I have taken this in my supplement rotation, during the winter months for extra immunity protection---the NAC alone is great for that! It is quite different from any HSN formula which I have seen. It is called Sulphur Antioxidant Complex. It has relatively low doses of cysteine in the form of l-cysteine and NAC (n-acetyl-l-cysteine), l-proline (great for skin) methionine, plus beta carotene, vitamin C, silica (from red algae so you get trace minerals, too), biotin, some garlic, zinc, pantetheine (a form of B-5, good for cholesterol,too), zinc, vitamin e, and selenium. I say "relatively low doses of the aminos" because if you buy individual aminos like the cysteine for example, the lowest strength that you can usually get is around 500mg. Like most HSN formulas, you usually take 3 caps (in this case, vegicaps) per day. This one product has all the things you asked me about--just about. I recommended this product to several ladies who e-mailed me from here. I like it because it is a balanced supplement and very effective. It is good for your overall health, too:) The suggested retail price is $13.90 for 90 vegicaps (a month's supply, if you take three daily), but, once again, at the Vitamin Shoppe, you can get it at a 20-40% discount depending on the month.If you do not care for a combination product, I would suggest extra biotin for overall condition and some growth, silica (either in the form of horsetail-the herb- or Oceanic Silica (derived from red algae; you get great trace minerals ,too) from Solgar once again. The silica is great for a nice shine and strength to your hair. I know people that take extra niacin (B-3). It's great for extra circulation if you need it. Beware of the flush--use niacinimide instead--and talk to your doctor if you have high blood pressure. Niacin can give you a real rush, especially when taken alone!As far as protein, I get mine through my diet, no powders or tablets. Fish definitely encourages strength and growth. If you are interested in taking some type of shake, I might be able to help you here. Also, remember that things like sunflower seeds, spirulina, chlorella are very high in protein. The latter algae are available in tablets/caps,green drinks, relatively cheap and pack a punch of nutrients.I might suggest another B vitamin which you might add to your supplements. That is pantothenic acid (B-5). I started taking this a while back when I was under a lot of stress, in addition to my B-Complex. It's the ultimate chill pill. Not like a tranquilizer, more like an adaptogenic. Anyway, it adds great strength, shine and encourages growth. I take 250mg twice a day.Another suggestion to you, besides eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, is to look into some phytonutrients. I would opt for a phytonutrient shake over a protein shake any day. One product which is packed is Twinlab's Phytonutrient Cocktail. You mix it with tomato juice for a delicious concoction:) Sometimes, I use it instead of my multivitamin when I don't want to take pills. Some people take broccoli tabs, which are terrific for growth alone. I came upon them by accident. The fresh broccoli supply was poor in my area, so I would take a couple of these to get the nutrients. There are tons of products out there.My last suggstion, which I have made many times, is to get a healthy dose of Vitamin C. I give it much credit for keeping the split ends away. I take 2,000mg (2grams) per day. Since I have been taking the Vitamin C, I have never had such a bad case of splits like the one I discussed in my Aubrey article. Aubrey gets much love, too:) Anyway, it's great for the circulation which helps with growth.Before I forget, I could not take it, but a lot of people, including Karen, swear by kelp tablets. I eat the fresh seaweed salad, myself. Purple dulse in tablets and as a part of other powders has become quite popular, too.I know that I have written quite a bit, but the most important thing is to find a regimen which works for you, something which works for your lifestyle and general inclinations.Bye for now,Jade21> Thanks,> PD
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:59am
Wow. Thanks, Jade. This is really valuable information. You know, you could write an article for the Hair Boutique just about suppliments! Where do you get all this stuff?! I'm really impressed.There are so many different vitamins out there. It's almost as if there were too many choices!> As I have stated, I am not a fan of the usual amino> complexes or individual aminos. Generally, I do not> take them.This is interesting. Are you saying that amino's aren't as important in terms of nutrition, or are you saying that you personally haven't seen good results?This Sulfer Antioxidant Complex, does it have low doses of amino's in order to make room for the other ingredients, or does it have low doses of the other ingredients too? Is it ok to take it by itself, or should it be taken along with a normal multivitamin/phytonutrient suppliment?You mention pantothenic acid. I noticed that there is 50 mg's of it in my B-Complex. You suggested taking 250 mg's twice a day, totaling 500 mg. Is it healthier for the hair than the other B-vitmins? If so, I'll go buy some. If the B-Complex is enough, I don't think I'll bother. I'm not under stress right now (it's vacation!!!) so no need to worry there.> Some people take broccoli> tabs, which are terrific for growth alone.Broccoli?! Well, I have some growing in my garden, lucky me!Aubrey gets much> love, too:) Anyway, it's great for the circulation> which helps with growth.I just went out and bought the Calaguala Fern shampoo (I have slight scalp problems I'd like to get rid of), the Blue Green Algae Hair Mask, and the GPB Conditioner. I'm going to start using them next week. I have thin hair, and I'm hoping that I can find some Aubrey products that can help make it look fuller. My guesses are the Calaguala line, the BGA Hair Mask, and the MGG Jelly. What do you think? I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.> Before I forget, I could not take it, but a lot of> people, including Karen, swear by kelp tablets.Haven't tried these yet. I'll have to add them to my list...which is getting a bit long, but what the heck. It's all for a good cause, right?> I know that I have written quite a bit, but the most> important thing is to find a regimen which works for> you, something which works for your lifestyle and> general inclinations.Jade, you are a sweetheart. Not too many people out there will be willing to put so much time and effort to write something like this out for a total stranger...ok, ok, we're all friends here. lol.Just out of curiosity, have you found the "perfect" regimen for yourself? It would seem like someone as knowledgeable as you about nutrition would be growing hair at very rapid speeds. I just hope that my hair's speed potential isn't too low. Well, I've borred you enough with my questions and comments. Thanks again.PD
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:59am
Hi, PD!> Wow. Thanks, Jade. This is really valuable> information. You know, you could write an article for> the Hair Boutique just about suppliments! Where do you> get all this stuff?! I'm really impressed.I felt honored that you would ask for my suggestions. I guess maybe I could with the article, but I think I like dealing with individuals when it comes to the supplements. Everybody has different need and especially hair goals. I give much credit to my mom, grandmother, and through them, my great grandmother; and, lots of reading. I've also tried different things myself and have gotten a lot of feedback from "individual testers" here and in my real life. Nothing scientific per se, but informal surveys, so to speak.> There are so many different vitamins out there. It's> almost as if there were too many choices!You are right here. It's like the way I feel about the world. There are so many choices that it can be overwhelming at times:) In reality, it is a blessing!> This is interesting. Are you saying that amino's> aren't as important in terms of nutrition, or are you> saying that you personally haven't seen good results?I would say that I don't feel comfortable with them. I need some more reading here. Even more, I don't take the free form aminos with basically all of them because I think I may be sensitive to phenylalanine. I can't use Nutrasweet which is a combination of two aminos, the one mentioned being one of them. The stuff gave me horrible headaches--I never get headaches-and made me kinda jumpy.When you eat protein, you get the aminos which have so many functions in your body. The aminos are key to nutrition, but I stick with getting them through my diet. I haven't had any red meat in a long time, but I get plenty of good protein in my diet.> This Sulfer Antioxidant Complex, does it have low> doses of amino's in order to make room for the other> ingredients, or does it have low doses of the other> ingredients too? Is it ok to take it by itself, or> should it be taken along with a normal> multivitamin/phytonutrient suppliment?The Sulphur Antioxidant Complex is extremely balanced. The ingredients, all of them, are in good proportions. Solgar is a superior company in terms of actual supplements and research. On the label, the company indicates that you can take it right along with your multivitamin/mineral formula daily. Either way, with or without a multi, is ok. I would guess that Solgar pretty much assumes that people taking the product are likely taking a multi.A general note. With the supplements you take, just be aware of the things you are taking. For example, one thing to watch is how much zinc you take. Normally, a 50mg total is the limit. There have been some studies that over that amount may actually be harmful to your immune system. So, basically, look at your multi, antioxidant complexes, and even your hair formulas to see what the total is.> You mention pantothenic acid. I noticed that there is> 50 mg's of it in my B-Complex. You suggested taking> 250 mg's twice a day, totaling 500 mg. Is it healthier> for the hair than the other B-vitmins? If so, I'll go> buy some. If the B-Complex is enough, I don't think> I'll bother. I'm not under stress right now (it's> vacation!!!) so no need to worry there.All the B-Vitamins are good for the hair. The 50mg or 100mg B Complex is a great way to feed your hair what it needs. I just mentioned the pantothenic acid because some people do take extra amounts of it, like biotin, for hair maintenance. You can take a lower dose or none if you prefer:) I just noticed a real change with it surprisingly. I know a friend of mine indicated to me that she thought the strands of her hair were so much stronger. Supposedly, this is a normal result and the other thing is that it is reputed to give overall vibrance to the hair. I think I can attest to that. It's not an expensive supplement. Try it for one month and see, with the Aubrey products, if you notice added thickness to your hair.> Broccoli?! Well, I have some growing in my garden,> lucky me!Broccoli is one of those sulfur rich foods. It's quite amazing. I am looking forward to some fresh broccoli tonight. Summer seems to have improved the local supply:)Chow down, girl!> Aubrey gets much> I just went out and bought the Calaguala Fern shampoo> (I have slight scalp problems I'd like to get rid of),> the Blue Green Algae Hair Mask, and the GPB> Conditioner. I'm going to start using them next week.> I have thin hair, and I'm hoping that I can find some> Aubrey products that can help make it look fuller. My> guesses are the Calaguala line, the BGA Hair Mask, and> the MGG Jelly. What do you think? I'll have to wait> and see how it turns out.I think you have selected some great products. The hair mask is amazing. Please let me know about the C.Fern shampoo. Did you know that the C. Fern leave-in conditioner is like a counterpart to the ginkgo-ginseng moisturizing jelly? Consider it, too. I've heard good things about it.> Haven't tried these yet. I'll have to add them to my> list...which is getting a bit long, but what the heck.> It's all for a good cause, right?The kelp tablets are cheap, too. You can get so many for a low price.> Jade, you are a sweetheart. Not too many people out> there will be willing to put so much time and effort> to write something like this out for a total> stranger...ok, ok, we're all friends here. lol.Yea, it's amazing with virtual friends:) I have been enjoying the summer so far. I have had some extra time which I relish. Sometimes my work can get crazy:) Besides, PD, I am sure sometime down the road, you may be helping me with some hair questions, yourself!> Just out of curiosity, have you found the> "perfect" regimen for yourself? It would> seem like someone as knowledgeable as you about> nutrition would be growing hair at very rapid speeds.> I just hope that my hair's speed potential isn't too low.Well, I tell you, the goals I had for the supplements were hair growth and condition, alleviation of pollen sensitivity, and overall maintenance of good health. It's amazing that so many of the things which helped the second and third goals also helped the first:)My hair has been growing extremely fast. It's definitely not because of the summer months because it's been doing this for several months now. With the added heat and moisture coming, I'm going to see if I surpass 2" in a month.Let me know how everything is going with the hair, the products and just life in general.All the best......Bye for now,Jade21
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:00am
Hi Jade,Your information has been very helpful. I think I learned more from you than from any of the reading and talking I have done. Do you know if Solgar has a multivitamin product? Right now I am using Solgar's B Complex and Vitamin E oil caps. You convinced me. My next two buys are going to be the Sulphur Antioxidant Complex and Pantothenic acid.In a few days I am going to leave for the Yukon Territories for a few weeks with my family; it'll be interresting to see the effects of fresh, pure, northern water and air on the hair. That's where I'll start using the AO products I bought.About the Calaguala conditioner and MGG jelly, what do you mean by "counterpart"? Do they work best when used together? Should the conditioner go on first, or the jelly; or should they be mixed?2 inches???!!! WOW. I never knew hair could grow that fast! That would make 1.5 - 2 feet a year! Needless to say, I haven't measured my own hair growth, so I don't know how fast it grows. But it seems like not more than 1/4 inch a month, maybe even less than that. I know I shouldn't complain, because my hair is pretty long, but it's thin, limp, and it tends to get oily. Switching to natural products has helped a lot in the condition, but not enough to make a big difference in the fullness. I'm hoping that the vitamins will help, along with the AO products.Thanks again for your help.PD> Hi, PD!> I felt honored that you would ask for my suggestions.> I guess maybe I could with the article, but I think I> like dealing with individuals when it comes to the> supplements. Everybody has different need and> especially hair goals. I give much credit to my mom,> grandmother, and through them, my great grandmother;> and, lots of reading. I've also tried different things> myself and have gotten a lot of feedback from> "individual testers" here and in my real> life. Nothing scientific per se, but informal surveys,> so to speak.> You are right here. It's like the way I feel about the> world. There are so many choices that it can be> overwhelming at times:) In reality, it is a blessing!> I would say that I don't feel comfortable with them. I> need some more reading here. Even more, I don't take> the free form aminos with basically all of them> because I think I may be sensitive to phenylalanine. I> can't use Nutrasweet which is a combination of two> aminos, the one mentioned being one of them. The stuff> gave me horrible headaches--I never get headaches-and> made me kinda jumpy.> When you eat protein, you get the aminos which have so> many functions in your body. The aminos are key to> nutrition, but I stick with getting them through my> diet. I haven't had any red meat in a long time, but I> get plenty of good protein in my diet.> The Sulphur Antioxidant Complex is extremely balanced.> The ingredients, all of them, are in good proportions.> Solgar is a superior company in terms of actual> supplements and research. On the label, the company> indicates that you can take it right along with your> multivitamin/mineral formula daily. Either way, with> or without a multi, is ok. I would guess that Solgar> pretty much assumes that people taking the product are> likely taking a multi.> A general note. With the supplements you take, just be> aware of the things you are taking. For example, one> thing to watch is how much zinc you take. Normally, a> 50mg total is the limit. There have been some studies> that over that amount may actually be harmful to your> immune system. So, basically, look at your multi,> antioxidant complexes, and even your hair formulas to> see what the total is.> All the B-Vitamins are good for the hair. The 50mg or> 100mg B Complex is a great way to feed your hair what> it needs. I just mentioned the pantothenic acid> because some people do take extra amounts of it, like> biotin, for hair maintenance. You can take a lower> dose or none if you prefer:) I just noticed a real> change with it surprisingly. I know a friend of mine> indicated to me that she thought the strands of her> hair were so much stronger. Supposedly, this is a> normal result and the other thing is that it is> reputed to give overall vibrance to the hair. I think> I can attest to that. It's not an expensive> supplement. Try it for one month and see, with the> Aubrey products, if you notice added thickness to your> hair.> Broccoli is one of those sulfur rich foods. It's quite> amazing. I am looking forward to some fresh broccoli> tonight. Summer seems to have improved the local> supply:)Chow down, girl!> I think you have selected some great products. The> hair mask is amazing. Please let me know about the> C.Fern shampoo. Did you know that the C. Fern leave-in> conditioner is like a counterpart to the> ginkgo-ginseng moisturizing jelly? Consider it, too.> I've heard good things about it.> The kelp tablets are cheap, too. You can get so many> for a low price.> Yea, it's amazing with virtual friends:) I have been> enjoying the summer so far. I have had some extra time> which I relish. Sometimes my work can get crazy:)> Besides, PD, I am sure sometime down the road, you may> be helping me with some hair questions, yourself!> Well, I tell you, the goals I had for the supplements> were hair growth and condition, alleviation of pollen> sensitivity, and overall maintenance of good health.> It's amazing that so many of the things which helped> the second and third goals also helped the first:)> My hair has been growing extremely fast. It's> definitely not because of the summer months because> it's been doing this for several months now. With the> added heat and moisture coming, I'm going to see if I> surpass 2" in a month.> Let me know how everything is going with the hair, the> products and just life in general.> All the best......> Bye for now,> Jade21
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:01am
Hi, PD!I envy you that trip, girl! It sounds great. Have a wonderful time....Hi Jade,> Your information has been very helpful. I think I> learned more from you than from any of the reading and> talking I have done. Do you know if Solgar has a> multivitamin product? Right now I am using Solgar's B> Complex and Vitamin E oil caps. You convinced me. My> next two buys are going to be the Sulphur Antioxidant> Complex and Pantothenic acid.Solgar makes several excellent multivitmin/mineral formulas. You should check out their website at www.solgar.com. You can browse there and can request their "Desk Reference." It's a paper version of every product they offer. I take the Earth Source one. I have been very pleased with it. Since you already take their Vitamin E caps, you might also check out the Tocotrienols Complex softgels they offer. They are basically the other portions of the E. Look under phytonutrients:)> In a few days I am going to leave for the Yukon> Territories for a few weeks with my family; it'll be> interresting to see the effects of fresh, pure,> northern water and air on the hair. That's where I'll> start using the AO products I bought.Sounds just wonderful. You put a big smile on Aubrey's face:)> About the Calaguala conditioner and MGG jelly, what do> you mean by "counterpart"? Do they work best> when used together? Should the conditioner go on> first, or the jelly; or should they be mixed?Within the C. Fern line, there is a shampoo and conditioner. The conditioner is a leave-in one. I'm sure some people who use the line skip the Ginkgo and Ginseng moisturizing jelly or B-5 Design gel.I think that's because the C.Fern Conditioner has not only conditioning properties, but also thickening properties, very much akin to the Ginkgo and Ginseng moisturizing jelly or B-5 Design gel.> 2 inches???!!! WOW. I never knew hair could grow that> fast! That would make 1.5 - 2 feet a year! Needless to> say, I haven't measured my own hair growth, so I don't> know how fast it grows. But it seems like not more> than 1/4 inch a month, maybe even less than that. I> know I shouldn't complain, because my hair is pretty> long, but it's thin, limp, and it tends to get oily.> Switching to natural products has helped a lot in the> condition, but not enough to make a big difference in> the fullness. I'm hoping that the vitamins will help,> along with the AO products.PD, unfortunately, I don't get 2 inches every single month. It's been happening a lot more recently and last summer was when I noticed so much growth with the lack of red meat and that seaweed salad. Last summer was just about 1 year with the Aubrey products. That, coupled with the supplements, I think was like a major turning point for my hair in terms of repair and it sort of took off. Hopefully, if I don't get lax, I won't have those nasty breakage problems again, and that nasty cycle of growth-breakage. It was always the breakage that I needed to stop. Thanks to genes, the growth rate was above the average to start with, before the supplements.You mention that your hair is kinda oily and limp. Have you considered an herbal rinse? Aubrey makes one. You use it after conditioning since your hair is oily. Toning and clarifying. I would imagine that Aubrey's is not as harsh, and definitely more fortifying, than say just using an apple cider vinegar mix of somekind. Just something to think about:)You have a great attitude and I think if you are consistent with the products and the supplements you will see a difference. Patience is a definite virtue:) Let me know how you are doing.All the Best,Jade21> Thanks again for your help.> PD
lo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:01am
Hi there, I was wanting to try the whole B-complex thing as well for hair growth. How would I know if I should be taking a 500 or 1000mg dose. I believe that is what you recommended on this message for the other woman.Anything else I should know before jumping in and taking a B-vitimin supplement?thx, Laura
lo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:01am
Jade,What are purple dulse tablets??? Or am I reading the message wrong? Are they aka seaweed tablets?I have just come into contact with your site and have been reading all your insightful info. Cheers to you woman on the work and advice you are spreading. For people like me who know nothing about hair, it is quite wonderland all in itself. Thanks again and keep up the good work.Laura
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:01am
Hi, Lo!Let there be no confusion:THIS IS NOT MY SITE!!!!!Purple dulse is seaweed.Thanks for the your compliments.Bye for now,Jade21> What are purple dulse tablets??? Or am I reading the> message wrong? Are they aka seaweed tablets?> I have just come into contact with your site and have> been reading all your insightful info. Cheers to you> woman on the work and advice you are spreading. For> people like me who know nothing about hair, it is> quite wonderland all in itself. Thanks again and keep> up the good work.> Laura
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
Sorry, sorry, sorry...I guess I should have read the jist of the site before making assumptions. AHHH, the seaweed. Going to buy mi some purple dulse mananas.Woops for the oversight in the site deal. Maybe you should consider having your own site...so knowledgeable Miss Jade21 :) thx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic