Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHair Shedding ?s for Jade and others

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Shedding ?s for Jade and others
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:01am
Hi,I was wondering if Jade or anyone else could offer any advise on my situation. I had a relaxer put in my hair a month ago. I hadn't had my hair relaxed in almost two years because I braid my hair (yep, I do it myself). I take my hair out every three months or so and let it breath for a week or two. In a moment of desperation I called my stylist and set up an appointment for a perm. We had talked about applying a relaxer on my hair to soften it and loosen the curl (I didn't want to go straight, I just wanted a texturizer). I had been going to her for about four years and when I used to get my hair relaxed she used Affirm (at my request). When I went in to see her she didn't use Affirm and I didn't notice what she was using until after she had applied it to my hair. (The relaxer was applied, but not smoothed out and combed so my hair did not get straightened) Well, needless to say the stuff she used was very harsh on my hair. Instead of my hair feeling like silk (which it usually did with the Affirm) it felt like straw. I noticed my hair shedding shortly after that. I deep conditioned my hair and used hot oil treatments 2-3x in the next week then I rebraided my hair (I am a very loose braider). I try to keep my braids moisturized by using hot oil and leave in conditioners daily, but everytime I refresh a braid (redo it) I get tons of hair in my comb from each 3/4" section. I have very thick, course hair so its not like I'm balding... yet.I started taking 2500 to 5000 mcg of Biotin, B100 Complex, and Oceanic Silica after reading Jade's advise to others (that was about a month ago) and I've also been taking the Hair Formula 37 (3-6 pills a day of the Step 2) for the last month. Is there anything else anyone can advise to try to combat the hair shedding. The shedding is pretty bad. I know its normal to shed after taking out braids and after getting a relaxer on your hair, but it has never even come close to this.Thanks,--Mel
Melanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
to stop the shedding. By the way, Hello.I have also used affirm for years because everything else was too strong and either broke my hair off or burned my scalp. Several topical treatments may work for you.1. Use Panthenol. I found some at Mother's Market (I live in Southern California). It is in a small jar (labeled D-Panthenol). It is sold by Now Foods and it was $5.95. You mix half of the jar in a 16 ounce bottle of conditioner. Panthenol temporarily seals split ends. (Others may have more information on panthenol and it's benefits). Mind you, this is a temporary solution.2. Try Artec's Moisture Pak. It is about $10 for a four ounce bottle. This stuff is wonderful. Also Aubrey Organics GPB may help. I've never used the GPB but, according to Jade21 it was tested on black women with relaxed hair. The Artec is great for moisture and detangling.I hate to say it but, your hair may be damaged to the point where it cannot be saved. Remember, I'm no expert but, I've been where you are. I am a long time affirm user and I know how my hair reacts when the Normal strength affirm is used instead of the dry hair and sensitive scalp formula. I have also had stylists lie to me and tell me that they were using affirm when, they used other perms (my hair fell out). For me, the above combination helped lessen the lost hair. The panthenol is especially helpful. Feel free to e-mail me with any other questions.I really hope that this works for you,Melanie> Hi,> I was wondering if Jade or anyone else could offer any> advise on my situation. I had a relaxer put in my hair> a month ago. I hadn't had my hair relaxed in almost> two years because I braid my hair (yep, I do it> myself). I take my hair out every three months or so> and let it breath for a week or two. In a moment of> desperation I called my stylist and set up an> appointment for a perm. We had talked about applying a> relaxer on my hair to soften it and loosen the curl (I> didn't want to go straight, I just wanted a> texturizer). I had been going to her for about four> years and when I used to get my hair relaxed she used> Affirm (at my request). When I went in to see her she> didn't use Affirm and I didn't notice what she was> using until after she had applied it to my hair. (The> relaxer was applied, but not smoothed out and combed> so my hair did not get straightened) Well, needless to> say the stuff she used was very harsh on my hair.> Instead of my hair feeling like silk (which it usually> did with the Affirm) it felt like straw. I noticed my> hair shedding shortly after that. I deep conditioned> my hair and used hot oil treatments 2-3x in the next> week then I rebraided my hair (I am a very loose> braider). I try to keep my braids moisturized by using> hot oil and leave in conditioners daily, but everytime> I refresh a braid (redo it) I get tons of hair in my> comb from each 3/4" section. I have very thick,> course hair so its not like I'm balding... yet.> I started taking 2500 to 5000 mcg of Biotin, B100> Complex, and Oceanic Silica after reading Jade's> advise to others (that was about a month ago) and I've> also been taking the Hair Formula 37 (3-6 pills a day> of the Step 2) for the last month. Is there anything> else anyone can advise to try to combat the hair> shedding. The shedding is pretty bad. I know its> normal to shed after taking out braids and after> getting a relaxer on your hair, but it has never even> come close to this.> Thanks,> --Mel
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
Just hope you got the e-mail.Drop me a line if you notice anything else re this problem.Bye for now,Jade21> I was wondering if Jade or anyone else could offer any> advise on my situation. I had a relaxer put in my hair> a month ago. I hadn't had my hair relaxed in almost> two years because I braid my hair (yep, I do it> myself). I take my hair out every three months or so> and let it breath for a week or two. In a moment of> desperation I called my stylist and set up an> appointment for a perm. We had talked about applying a> relaxer on my hair to soften it and loosen the curl (I> didn't want to go straight, I just wanted a> texturizer). I had been going to her for about four> years and when I used to get my hair relaxed she used> Affirm (at my request). When I went in to see her she> didn't use Affirm and I didn't notice what she was> using until after she had applied it to my hair. (The> relaxer was applied, but not smoothed out and combed> so my hair did not get straightened) Well, needless to> say the stuff she used was very harsh on my hair.> Instead of my hair feeling like silk (which it usually> did with the Affirm) it felt like straw. I noticed my> hair shedding shortly after that. I deep conditioned> my hair and used hot oil treatments 2-3x in the next> week then I rebraided my hair (I am a very loose> braider). I try to keep my braids moisturized by using> hot oil and leave in conditioners daily, but everytime> I refresh a braid (redo it) I get tons of hair in my> comb from each 3/4" section. I have very thick,> course hair so its not like I'm balding... yet.> I started taking 2500 to 5000 mcg of Biotin, B100> Complex, and Oceanic Silica after reading Jade's> advise to others (that was about a month ago) and I've> also been taking the Hair Formula 37 (3-6 pills a day> of the Step 2) for the last month. Is there anything> else anyone can advise to try to combat the hair> shedding. The shedding is pretty bad. I know its> normal to shed after taking out braids and after> getting a relaxer on your hair, but it has never even> come close to this.> Thanks,> --Mel
mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
Sorry, I went out of town and didn't have access to a computer. Thanks for all of the information. I feel better about the supplements I am taking. I haven't seen much breakage (yet) but I will start increasing my Vitamin C in divided doses (I currently take 1 1000mg tablet a day). I will start putting your other recommendations to use right away. Thanks again.--Mel
mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
Hi Melanie,Thanks for responding for my plea for help. I've only just found this site (a month ago) and have been putting a lot of the information to use.> 1. Use Panthenol. I found some at Mother's Market (I> live in Southern California). It is in a small jar> (labeled D-Panthenol). It is sold by Now Foods and it> was $5.95. You mix half of the jar in a 16 ounce> bottle of conditioner. Panthenol temporarily seals> split ends. (Others may have more information on> panthenol and it's benefits). Mind you, this is a> temporary solution.Your advise about the Panthenol is a new one to me. Since its been so drastic I have been focusing on the fallout (its coming out from the root) and not paid much attention to any spilt ends. But I will go out and try to find it tonight (I'm in the Northern CA Bay Area).> 2. Try Artec's Moisture Pak. It is about $10 for a> four ounce bottle. This stuff is wonderful. Also> Aubrey Organics GPB may help. I've never used the GPB> but, according to Jade21 it was tested on black women> with relaxed hair. The Artec is great for moisture and> detangling.Yeah, I've read great things from Jade abouy GPB and want to give it a try. I'll also try Artec's Moisture Pak and compare the two.Since I've got your attention, I thought I would ask you what you thought of an old standby of mine Creme of Nature. While I have used a lot of shampoos and conditioners over the years, I always fall back on Creme of Nature. It's ingredient list is so simple and its inexpensive. Am I missing something here? Have you heard anything negative about this product? I keep a huge bottle of it and when my hair starts to feel hard or dry I use it and my hair feels soft again Have you ever used it and if so what do you think about it?> I have also had stylists> lie to me and tell me that they were using affirm> when, they used other perms (my hair fell out).Good comment! What is up with that?! I've also run into that problem over the years. After I moved from San Diego I had to find someone up here who used Affirm. Every place I called told me oh yeah sure they used it, but when I went in they tried to sell me on something else. Affirm was the only product that NEVER damaged my hair, my hair always felt healthy after using it. How come stylists seem resistent to it? Do you think it is a cost issue, its too expensive or something or maybe too difficult to get?Thanks again for the advise. I'm always looking for ways to keep my hair healthy. Jade told me that the hair shedding will probably only last two months. I hope so. I'm glad I found this site where people such as yourself and Jade correspond. Without it I think I'd be bald from the sheer stress of just worrying about the hair loss!!! At least now I know that I can make attempts to rectify the situation (and prevent it in the future).--Mel
Curious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:03am
Hi,I was just wondering why it is that the shedding will last two months? Is this based on a general scale of everybody's scalps, such as with the old saying of 1/2 inch growth per month as a general rule for everyone, or is it based on race-i.e. African Americans may experience a longer or shorter shedding time. Or, is it just because that's how it goes with anybody that has a problem with a relaxer? I know, a lot of questions, but I would really like to know.Thanks,Curious
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:03am
Hi, Curious!When hair begins to shed after a too harsh chemical process or other trauma, the worst of the shedding occurs generally within 2 to 3 months following the trauma. Thereafter, the shedding is moderate for a period of time, depending on the individual, and then the shedding stops. After the shedding, the overall growth and condition of the hair usually return to its previous state. Sometimes, the hair can go through a process of regeneration. Regeneration varies from individual to individual.I credit this to a former physician of mine, my own experience with hair loss due to a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic, a hair stylist who got me through the worst of my hair loss, and general reading.As a general note, as I have stated many times here, I think it is wise to stay away from race when it comes to hair, like so many other areas. Hair has special needs. Generally, blacks have hair which tends to be drier and consequently subject to potential breakage. However, there is NOTHING, in terms of biochemistry, which would lengthen or shorten a shedding period. Think individuals, not groups:)Bye for now,Jade21> I was just wondering why it is that the shedding will> last two months? Is this based on a general scale of> everybody's scalps, such as with the old saying of 1/2> inch growth per month as a general rule for everyone,> or is it based on race-i.e. African Americans may> experience a longer or shorter shedding time. Or, is> it just because that's how it goes with anybody that> has a problem with a relaxer? I know, a lot of> questions, but I would really like to know.> Thanks,> Curious
Melanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:03am
Mel,Sorry for the delay in responding. I haven't scrolled down the board recently.I tried the GPB over the weekend and I love it! It is so moisturizing. Even though it weighs my fine hair down a tad, I will continue to use it! And the smell! I'm extremely happy with that one. Also, my hair holds a curl overnight with it! (That rarely happens and has occurred with two AO products: the BGA Mask and the GPB). So, I'm sold on Aubrey's Conditioners. I smelled the Honeysuckle shampoo and I'm craving it. I may just use it as a body wash.I love Creme of Nature also. It's one of my old standbys! I don't like to use it with Deep conditioners because I feel that it interferes with the absorption. I can't really explain it but, when I've used a deep conditioner after CON, my hair hasn't felt as moisturized. I read on one board that, after a while of continuous use, it dries out your hair. I've never used it continuously so, I can't speak on that. I think that it works just fine and leaves your hair feeling so good...it's my *I need a light shampoo without time for a conditioner shampoo*.The Affirm is hard to get. I had such a time trying to find consistent stock, that I have decided to go natural. I even contacted the company about distributing it because it is so hard to find. That is an interesting process in itself! But, the product is superior (in my opinion). My best friends mom is a hairdresser and she will not use anything else. She knows the chemist who invented affirm and says that his reputation is excellent. Also, when they come out with a new product, older companies follow with similar products. My hairdresser (who's italian and uses affirm on his hair)has a hard time keeping suppliers because they have a hard time with his skin color. The company doesn't want counterfeit products and there are very few distributors.I love the maintenance products. I don't know what I will do without the moisture lotion with jojoba oil! I can't use any other product like this. By the way, Sears in Southern California uses Affirm products, you may want to contact them about future touch ups. Or, they may have something to help with the breakage. I know that affirm makes a superior deep conditioner (I cannot remember the name of it). It really helped me when I had breakage problems. It is only sold to licensed cosmetologists. It has a nice smell. I'll look into it and see if I can send you the name.Hope this helps and sorry it was so long.Melanie> Hi Melanie,> Thanks for responding for my plea for help. I've only> just found this site (a month ago) and have been> putting a lot of the information to use.> Your advise about the Panthenol is a new one to me.> Since its been so drastic I have been focusing on the> fallout (its coming out from the root) and not paid> much attention to any spilt ends. But I will go out> and try to find it tonight (I'm in the Northern CA Bay> Area).> Yeah, I've read great things from Jade abouy GPB and> want to give it a try. I'll also try Artec's Moisture> Pak and compare the two.> Since I've got your attention, I thought I would ask> you what you thought of an old standby of mine Creme> of Nature. While I have used a lot of shampoos and> conditioners over the years, I always fall back on> Creme of Nature. It's ingredient list is so simple and> its inexpensive. Am I missing something here? Have you> heard anything negative about this product? I keep a> huge bottle of it and when my hair starts to feel hard> or dry I use it and my hair feels soft again Have you> ever used it and if so what do you think about it?> Good comment! What is up with that?! I've also run> into that problem over the years. After I moved from> San Diego I had to find someone up here who used> Affirm. Every place I called told me oh yeah sure they> used it, but when I went in they tried to sell me on> something else. Affirm was the only product that NEVER> damaged my hair, my hair always felt healthy after> using it. How come stylists seem resistent to it? Do> you think it is a cost issue, its too expensive or> something or maybe too difficult to get?> Thanks again for the advise. I'm always looking for> ways to keep my hair healthy. Jade told me that the> hair shedding will probably only last two months. I> hope so. I'm glad I found this site where people such> as yourself and Jade correspond. Without it I think> I'd be bald from the sheer stress of just worrying> about the hair loss!!! At least now I know that I can> make attempts to rectify the situation (and prevent it> in the future).> --Mel
Curious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:03am
Hi Jade,Sometimes, the hair can go through a> process of regeneration. Regeneration varies from> individual to individual.I may sound thick here, but could you please explain what you mean by hair regenerating itself? Does this mean that hair actually goes through a time where it needs to regroup and then grows out even better (after this shedding process is through)?> As a general note, as I have stated many times here, I> think it is wise to stay away from race when it comes> to hair, like so many other areas. Hair has special> needs. Generally, blacks have hair which tends to be> drier and consequently subject to potential breakage.> However, there is NOTHING, in terms of biochemistry,> which would lengthen or shorten a shedding period.> Think individuals, not groups:)I really meant no harm. I just thought that different races may react differently to problems with the scalp.I was once told by a physician that people with blonde or red hair get certain stomach upsets more than other people.So, I thought the same could be true with scalps/hair.I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I really meant no harm.Thanks for your help, Jade. Hopefully you can answer my new question.Curious
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:03am
Hi, Curious!After trauma of any kind to the hair, I do believe that hair regeneration is possible. At the very least, I think it is possible, especially after a shedding, to get the hair back to its status quo. I would also add that the stronger your hair was before the trauma, the greater the likelihood of reaching the status quo or beyond. With my own loss of hair from the allergic reaction, I would say that it took about two years to reach my own status quo. My hair had been thick, strong, elastic and very resilient.More recently, since using the Aubrey Organics products and a good supplements program, I have watched my hair be transformed like perhaps never before. It's been nearly two years. As best I can tell, after year 1, the worst of the damage (breakage and scalp), had been repaired. Thereafter, the hair thrived.The kind of regeneration of the hair is nothing close to what the skin goes through every 30-45 days. I cannot cite you any sources for the process of hair regeneration. However, from my own experience and that of others, this is my belief.> I really meant no harm. I just thought that different> races may react differently to problems with the> scalp.> I was once told by a physician that people with blonde> or red hair get certain stomach upsets more than other> people.> So, I thought the same could be true with scalps/hair.From what mail order company did this "physician" receive his/her degree?Bye for now,Jade21
Curious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:04am
> From what mail order company did this> "physician" receive his/her degree?This happens not only to be my family's long time doctor, but he gradusted third in his class and has helped many people, starting with my Father. He is also a family friend, and goes out of his way to help his patients.Even his wife does, too. They are both terrific people.Anyway, why is it so hard to believe (about the hair color/stomach upset connection)? Look at sickle cell anemia, and a certain (I can't recall the actual name) female cancer either only affects Jewish women or just affects them in higher numbers. The doctor explained that certain enzymes are produced by people with this natural hair color that leaves them prone to certain stomach upsets.It doesn't mean, by doctors/people saying these statements, that they are quacks. They aren't being prejudiced, either. Certain facts are just facts. Look it up in any medical book.O.K., you never said that this doctor was prejudiced. However, earlier you said to leave race out of it. It looks to me you might be a little sensitive (and maybe rightly so)where this is concerned, and that's why I said what I did about their (doctors) not being prejudiced. Just please don't jump on everybody who might ask a question that involves the race factor somehow. O.K.? Thanks.Curious
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:04am
> This happens not only to be my family's long time> doctor, but he gradusted third in his class and has> helped many people, starting with my Father. He is> also a family friend, and goes out of his way to help> his patients.> Even his wife does, too. They are both terrific> people.It was not a personal assault. Please go back and read what you wrote. On the face of it, it sounds like quackery.> Anyway, why is it so hard to believe (about the hair> color/stomach upset connection)? Look at sickle cell> anemia, and a certain (I can't recall the actual name)> female cancer either only affects Jewish women or just> affects them in higher numbers.The doctor explained> that certain enzymes are produced by people with this> natural hair color that leaves them prone to certain> stomach upsets.This is a far cry from what you wrote before.> It doesn't mean, by doctors/people saying these> statements, that they are quacks. They aren't being> prejudiced, either. Certain facts are just facts. Look> it up in any medical book.> O.K., you never said that this doctor was prejudiced.That's right, I didn't.> However, earlier you said to leave race out of it. It> looks to me you might be a little sensitive (and maybe> rightly so)where this is concerned, and that's why I> said what I did about their (doctors) not being> prejudiced. Just please don't jump on everybody who> might ask a question that involves the race factor> somehow. O.K.? Thanks.Ask whatever questions, in whatever form you like. That does not mean that I will not respond accordingly. You would be surprised at the amount of poor information and misconceptions alone existing in relation to hair and race. It's from the majority and minority.Please go back and read what I wrote. Sickle cell anemia and certain forms of cancer versus scalps.Bye for now,Jade21> Curious
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic