Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAubrey Organics Calaguala Shampoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aubrey Organics Calaguala Shampoo
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:16am
Hi everybody! I'm back after three weeks at the Yukon, where I opened my Aubey Organics products for the first time. I remember some people asking about the Calaguala Shampoo. Well, here are my results.I used the Calaguala Fern and Cade Tar Shampoo along with the GPB Conditioner. Wow. The smell is heavenly. Calaguala has a very gentle, soothing smell, with a tint of citrus. The GPB reminds me of incense or the smell from one of those heavy, ancient books with brown, crumbling pages.The Calguala Shampoo has a deep redish-brown color, sort of like dark brown amber. It has a smooth, almost jelly-like texture with a nice lather, and it left my hair soft and fluffy. It didn't dry my hair, but that could be because my scalp tends to be oily, and dryness is never a problem. One thing I noticed. I used to have those zit-like bumps all over my scalp (what do you call those again?)...they're all gone! And although my scalp is still a tad bit waxy, the dandruff is almost gone too!The GPB conditioner was nice. I only wish that it were a bit more moisturizing. I'm used to using a lot of jojoba oil on my hair, but I forgot the bottle at home. So I had to do with less moisture than I was used to. But it was still very nice, and when I came back home, applied some jojoba to my hair, washed it, and then conditioned it with the GPB, the results where much better (BTW, the least expensive jojoba oil that I've found so far is from Desert Essence).In conclusion, I am very happy with the poducts. Yesterday I tried the Blue Green Algae Hair Mask, which left my hair silky and shiny. Unfortunately I haven't tried the Calaguala Conditioner/Thickener, and I desperately need more volume in my hair! That's going to be my next buy. That's all for now,PD
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:16am
Hi, PD!Hope you had a great vacaction and am glad you posted your results.> The GPB conditioner was nice. I only wish that it were> a bit more moisturizing. I'm used to using a lot of> jojoba oil on my hair, but I forgot the bottle at> home. So I had to do with less moisture than I was> used to. But it was still very nice, and when I came> back home, applied some jojoba to my hair, washed it,> and then conditioned it with the GPB, the results> where much better (BTW, the least expensive jojoba oil> that I've found so far is from Desert Essence).If you are looking to alternate with something richer, consider the Jojoba and Aloe Conditioner. Same goes for the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner.Desert Essence's jojoba oil is also good because you can get 4oz! Excellent product, I agree.> In conclusion, I am very happy with the poducts.> Yesterday I tried the Blue Green Algae Hair Mask,> which left my hair silky and shiny. Unfortunately I> haven't tried the Calaguala Conditioner/Thickener, and> I desperately need more volume in my hair! That's> going to be my next buy.So glad the BGA Hair Mask generated some silkiness and shine. It's one of my personal favorites:)PD, wanted to tell you that I have gotten some feedback on the C. Fern Conditioner/Thickener. One girl told me that it is extremely thick and generated quite a punch of body. Her hair is kind of wavy with only a tad of thickness naturally. The other lady seemed very positive also, but thought she may have used a bit too much. Her hair is rather thin, but she said upon using a blowdryer, she never knew it:) I think it was more than she had anticipated:)Bye for now,Jade21
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:16am
> I am trying to find the ultimate shampoo and conditioner for very dry, color treated, slightly wavy hair, that can look like a dry haystack if not careful, or can look spectacular.I am quite new to California which I have found really drying to my already dry hair. I am from England, where there was masses of moisture in the air, which seemed to make me less bushy! I am also new to this site, but note that you seem to have all the answers!!I want masses of shine and smoothness above all with no nasties in the shampoo. I have tried most of the ARTec shampoos but strangly I find they make my hair dull and dry.I purchased some Nature's Gate, but it did not make a real difference.I just got an Aubrey Organics catalog and they look great but there are so many to choose from.....any suggestions please for the the above hair and what I am trying to achieve.I really appreciate your help!
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:16am
> Oh, I forgot to add. My hair is also very thick and very coarse.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:16am
Hi, Chrissie!I definitely don't have all the answers. I've just been using Aubrey Organics for nearly two years, so I am familiar with many of the products:) Also, the ladies here and at naturallycurly.com have been giving me tons of feedback which has been terrific.I do understand about the dry air in some parts of California. I know someone who is out in Phoenix, Arizona and her hair is going through some really rough changes.Before I get to specific Aubrey products, I think if you start doing a regime of weekly hot oil treatments with jojoba or olive oil your hair will be much improved. From what you have described, leave the treatment on for at least 30 minutes and wrap your hair in a warm towel or use a heated cap.The first Aubrey product I would suggest to you is the Blue Green Algae Hair Mask. It is a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment which you leave on for at least 15-20 minutes. This, coupled with the hot oil treatments, should zap the initial shock which your hair is experiencing. If you read the message re PD above, she notes how her hair is left shiny and silky from the treatment. I can attest to this. My hair is thick and heavy like yours, so I would suggest that you apply the treatment only to your scalp because the hair mask can generate a ton of body. This is what I have found. Since your hair is color-treated, be sure not to use the hair mask the week before you plan to color your hair. This is noted on the jar, but I just want to mention this to you.Shampoo Suggestions. J.A.Y. shampoo, Blue Chamomile (Azulene) shampoo,Golden Chamomile shampoo (Chamomile Luxurious Herbal shampoo), Honeysuckle Rose shampoo, White Camelia shampoo, Island Naturals shampoo, Swimmers shampoo.From what you describe, your hair needs some real moisture and softening. Of these listed, I would say that the White Camelia, the Honeysuckle Rose, Blue Chamomile and the J.A.Y. will generate fast results.Conditioner Suggestions. Jojoba and Aloe, GPB, Honeysuckle Rose, White Camelia and Jasmine, Swimmers Conditioner, Island Naturals Creme Rinse.Of these, I would suggest you start with the Jojoba and Aloe. It is strong and will leave your hair like silk. This is what I started with. Thereafter, the GPB will keep your hair strong, silky and shiny. It is tied for first in terms of richness in my mind.The Honeysuckle Rose is like a thick, thick creme and heavenly. I have done mixes with it and other conditioners like the Swimmers conditioner.I also wanted to mention to you that a lot of the ladies at naturallycurly.com have been using the Island Naturals creme rinse as a leave-in conditioner and getting superior results. I have not tried this, but consider it, if you feel like you need it.I also wanted to tell you that you are not alone with the Artec products. I know someone who has been using several products for months and suddenly her hair is hard, hard, hard. It just happens sometimes.Remember that you can get many of the Try-Me-Outs from Aubrey which will allow you to test out many different products without spending a fortune. Check out the back of Aubrey's catalog.I hope that the products provide some relief soon. If you have any problems or concerns, please let me know and maybe I can help.Bye for now,Jade21I am quite new to California which I have found really> drying to my already dry hair. I am from England,> where there was masses of moisture in the air, which> seemed to make me less bushy! I am also new to this> site, but note that you seem to have all the answers!!> I want masses of shine and smoothness above all with> no nasties in the shampoo. I have tried most of the> ARTec shampoos but strangly I find they make my hair> dull and dry.> I purchased some Nature's Gate, but it did not make a> real difference.> I just got an Aubrey Organics catalog and they look> great but there are so many to choose from.....any> suggestions please for the the above hair and what I> am trying to achieve.> I really appreciate your help!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:16am
Hi PD,Would you please email me privately at shelton@hairboutique.com. I would like to ask you some additional questions about the Aubrey Organics.Thank you very much for posting the info. It is very much appreciated. I am going to try a few of them myself due to Jade21 and your most recent review. :-)Karen> Hi everybody! I'm back after three weeks at the Yukon,> where I opened my Aubey Organics products for the> first time. I remember some people asking about the> Calaguala Shampoo. Well, here are my results.> I used the Calaguala Fern and Cade Tar Shampoo along> with the GPB Conditioner. Wow. The smell is heavenly.> Calaguala has a very gentle, soothing smell, with a> tint of citrus. The GPB reminds me of incense or the> smell from one of those heavy, ancient books with> brown, crumbling pages.> The Calguala Shampoo has a deep redish-brown color,> sort of like dark brown amber. It has a smooth, almost> jelly-like texture with a nice lather, and it left my> hair soft and fluffy. It didn't dry my hair, but that> could be because my scalp tends to be oily, and> dryness is never a problem. One thing I noticed. I> used to have those zit-like bumps all over my scalp> (what do you call those again?)...they're all gone!> And although my scalp is still a tad bit waxy, the> dandruff is almost gone too!> The GPB conditioner was nice. I only wish that it were> a bit more moisturizing. I'm used to using a lot of> jojoba oil on my hair, but I forgot the bottle at> home. So I had to do with less moisture than I was> used to. But it was still very nice, and when I came> back home, applied some jojoba to my hair, washed it,> and then conditioned it with the GPB, the results> where much better (BTW, the least expensive jojoba oil> that I've found so far is from Desert Essence).> In conclusion, I am very happy with the poducts.> Yesterday I tried the Blue Green Algae Hair Mask,> which left my hair silky and shiny. Unfortunately I> haven't tried the Calaguala Conditioner/Thickener, and> I desperately need more volume in my hair! That's> going to be my next buy. That's all for now,> PD
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Amber View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:17am
> Jade:I just wanted to say thank you. You are always so knowledgeable - and more than that - so generous and helpful with your knowledge. You're a gem!
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:17am
Hi, Jade!Wow! Your info is terrific. I will take your advice and am really looking forward to the new regime. Interesting what you said about ARTec - I thought it was just me. I have a really good feeling about Aubrey though and can't wait to get started.Thank you so much - you are so helpful!>
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:17am
> I just wanted to say thank you. You are always so> knowledgeable - and more than that - so generous and> helpful with your knowledge. You're a gem!
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:17am
Hi Jade.It's good to be back. My vacation went very well, thank you.I am a bit concerned about the pricing of the Jojoba Aloe Conditioner. It seems like the bottle is much smaller while the price is much higher. Is it worth a try? Also, what is the Honeysuckle Rose like, as compared to the GPB?You know, after I came back and used the jojoba oil, I can't believe the difference! Such moist softness, I wanted to touch my hair all day long! I guess I needed to remember what it was like before I used the oil, so that I can appreciate how good the hair is now, when it's moisturized.Thanks for the info on the Calaguala conditioner. Maybe there is still hope for my thin hair!BTW,I had a question for you concerning the Vitamin B Complex. Should I take one 100 mg pill or two 50 mg pills? I heard somewhere that it is better to spread them out throughout the day, but I wasn't sure. What do you think?Thanks again,PD> Hi, PD!> Hope you had a great vacaction and am glad you posted> your results.> If you are looking to alternate with something richer,> consider the Jojoba and Aloe Conditioner. Same goes> for the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner.> Desert Essence's jojoba oil is also good because you> can get 4oz! Excellent product, I agree.> So glad the BGA Hair Mask generated some silkiness and> shine. It's one of my personal favorites:)> PD, wanted to tell you that I have gotten some> feedback on the C. Fern Conditioner/Thickener. One> girl told me that it is extremely thick and generated> quite a punch of body. Her hair is kind of wavy with> only a tad of thickness naturally. The other lady> seemed very positive also, but thought she may have> used a bit too much. Her hair is rather thin, but she> said upon using a blowdryer, she never knew it:) I> think it was more than she had anticipated:)> Bye for now,> Jade21
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:17am
Hi, PD!> I am a bit concerned about the pricing of the Jojoba> Aloe Conditioner. It seems like the bottle is much> smaller while the price is much higher. Is it worth a> try? Also, what is the Honeysuckle Rose like, as> compared to the GPB?I do understand. When I bought the Jojoba and Aloe the first time, I thought that I must have flipped out:) Now, it's like over $3.00 per oz. Aubrey offers no "Try-Me Out" size for it. I think I told you about the Vitamin Shoppe with the 20-40% discounts. Get it there if you can't find another place because of the discounts and also if you don't like it you can return within 30 days. I remember you saying that your hair was thin. I think that 4oz bottle would last you a good while. Don't overuse it.The Honeysuckle Rose conditioner in comparison with the GPB. The Honeysuckle Rose infuses your hair with moisture. It is a thick creme, even thicker than the GPB. Also, it does not contain any type of protein. The same is true of the Jojoba and Aloe. The smell is lovely! Aubrey makes a "Try-Me Out" size for the shampoo and conditioner.> You know, after I came back and used the jojoba oil, I> can't believe the difference! Such moist softness, I> wanted to touch my hair all day long! I guess I needed> to remember what it was like before I used the oil, so> that I can appreciate how good the hair is now, when> it's moisturized.Cheers to that!> Thanks for the info on the Calaguala conditioner.> Maybe there is still hope for my thin hair!Of course there is!> BTW,I had a question for you concerning the Vitamin B> Complex. Should I take one 100 mg pill or two 50 mg> pills? I heard somewhere that it is better to spread> them out throughout the day, but I wasn't sure. What> do you think?You are right. Since the vitamins are water-soluble, it's a great approach for having a relatively constant dose in the system:) I divide my dose. You can buy the sustained release B-Complex if you like, but personally I just prefer to divide the dose. Some people really question whether the added cost is worth the sustained-release tabs. Just a matter of preference I guess:)Hope this helps.....Jade21
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic