Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedscissors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sabrina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scissors
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:29am
> Does the type of scissors that you trim your hair with> really matter? The scissors I've seen that are> specified for hair are usually around $10- $15. I use> just all-purpose around the house type of scissors for> around $2.00.> But, that's all I use them for. I thought that as long> as they are sharp, that's all that matters. I use them> trim split-ends, not to create a style. Thanks for> your help!i am a lisenced hair stylist. the type of shears(what we call them) makes a huge difference. the shears i have cost me 250.oo dollars and thats a good price. why do we spend so much? if i used a pair that cost 10 dollars i would have to throw them away after one days work. we spend so much because the better quality and sharper they are the longer they last and the less we have to get them sharpened. i know people that refuse to cut dry hair because it damages our shears. Even if you have alot of stlying products on your hair and you dont get it shampooed dulls them. i have a cheap pair that cost around 30 dollars for strictly cutting dry hair. The best hair cut you will get is with a clean wet head. your stylist will be apprecitative. Ive given free shampoos and stlyes just because i had toshampoo a clients hair she had so much hairsray on. if you can very easily comb through your hair wet with hairspray on it, your stylist wont have such a bad problem. but if i was to use a dull pair on your hair, yes your ends would get damaged quiker and have more split end.
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:24am
> Does the type of scissors that you trim your hair with> really matter? The scissors I've seen that are> specified for hair are usually around $10- $15. I use> just all-purpose around the house type of scissors for> around $2.00.> But, that's all I use them for. I thought that as long> as they are sharp, that's all that matters. I use them> trim split-ends, not to create a style. Thanks for> your help!I have used many of the NG varieties, but the Awapuhi is not one of them. However I spoke to someone yesterday who uses it and she said it has a clarifying effect on her hair. So it doesn't sound exactly moisturizing. You might consider using one of the varieties that I know are moisturizing, especially the jojoba variety. The Aloe is pretty good as well. Good Luck.
Clare
Shannon G. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:24am
Most salons that specialize in long hair will trim it dry, I don't know the reasoning behind this. I recomend you find a salon/stylist that specializes in long hair. They should be able to help you with care, vitamins, etc. B-vitamins are the most important ones for hair. Karen recently did an article on the vitamins for hair, check it out in the article section under Long hair articles. The International Long Hair Club site has a list of long hair salons see if there is one near you. I read all the other responses and the only other thing i wonder about is what kind of brush you use and how you brush your hair.HTH,Shannon G.> John-> I was wondering if it's better to trim your hair> wet/damp> or dry? I've always heard to trim it damp. I just> wanted to double check. I need to take vitamins, I> just don't know how much of each vitamin I need to> take. I have very fine, thin hair. I have been trying> to grow my hair for 5 years and it's only to my> shoulders. It's been breaking off and I have been> having problems with split-ends. I've been having lots> of hair problems! Thanks~k
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:23am
> Dear K,> I've read the responses so far, and I have a couple of> comments. First, I think the investment in quality> hair cutting scissors is a must. I like small scissors> for cutting split ends and just doing most any kind of> hair cuts. You should never use your hair cutting> scissors for anything other than your hair. Second,> when you trim your split ends, you also have to go> after the "nubs", those little balls on the> end. That is a place where the hair is going to split> very soon. You may have to trim for split ends and> nubs once a week. Get a friend to help, take your hair> in small sections (dry), twist tightly, and the split> ends and nubs will pop out and you can clip it off,> preferably perpendicular to the hair shaft. Third,> what about your diet? Are you feeding your hair> properly? If your hair is thick and long, it requires> a lot of nourishment. Make sure you are getting lots> of B vitamins, protein, and vitamin E. Hopefully you> can find a stylist who specializes in long hair who> will be willing to help. Good luck!!> John R.John-I was wondering if it's better to trim your hair wet/dampor dry? I've always heard to trim it damp. I just wanted to double check. I need to take vitamins, I just don't know how much of each vitamin I need to take. I have very fine, thin hair. I have been trying to grow my hair for 5 years and it's only to my shoulders. It's been breaking off and I have been having problems with split-ends. I've been having lots of hair problems! Thanks~k
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:23am
> Dear K,> I've read the responses so far, and I have a couple of> comments. First, I think the investment in quality> hair cutting scissors is a must. I like small scissors> for cutting split ends and just doing most any kind of> hair cuts. You should never use your hair cutting> scissors for anything other than your hair. Second,> when you trim your split ends, you also have to go> after the "nubs", those little balls on the> end. That is a place where the hair is going to split> very soon. You may have to trim for split ends and> nubs once a week. Get a friend to help, take your hair> in small sections (dry), twist tightly, and the split> ends and nubs will pop out and you can clip it off,> preferably perpendicular to the hair shaft. Third,> what about your diet? Are you feeding your hair> properly? If your hair is thick and long, it requires> a lot of nourishment. Make sure you are getting lots> of B vitamins, protein, and vitamin E. Hopefully you> can find a stylist who specializes in long hair who> will be willing to help. Good luck!!> John R.John-I was wondering if it's better to trim your hair wet/dampor dry? I've always heard to trim it damp. I just wanted to double check. I need to take vitamins, I just don't know how much of each vitamin I need to take. I have very fine, thin hair. I have been trying to grow my hair for 5 years and it's only to my shoulders. It's been breaking off and I have been having problems with split-ends. I've been having lots of hair problems! Thanks~k
John R View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:23am
> Does the type of scissors that you trim your hair with> really matter? The scissors I've seen that are> specified for hair are usually around $10- $15. I use> just all-purpose around the house type of scissors for> around $2.00.> But, that's all I use them for. I thought that as long> as they are sharp, that's all that matters. I use them> trim split-ends, not to create a style. Thanks for> your help!Dear K,I've read the responses so far, and I have a couple of comments. First, I think the investment in quality hair cutting scissors is a must. I like small scissors for cutting split ends and just doing most any kind of hair cuts. You should never use your hair cutting scissors for anything other than your hair. Second, when you trim your split ends, you also have to go after the "nubs", those little balls on the end. That is a place where the hair is going to split very soon. You may have to trim for split ends and nubs once a week. Get a friend to help, take your hair in small sections (dry), twist tightly, and the split ends and nubs will pop out and you can clip it off, preferably perpendicular to the hair shaft. Third, what about your diet? Are you feeding your hair properly? If your hair is thick and long, it requires a lot of nourishment. Make sure you are getting lots of B vitamins, protein, and vitamin E. Hopefully you can find a stylist who specializes in long hair who will be willing to help. Good luck!!John R.
Diane K. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:22am
> I've never been to a salon but once and vowed, NEVER> AGAIN. That's been about 6 or 7 years ago. I told her> just to trim the ends and give me some textured bangs-> I think that's what they were called, my friend was> with me and she had them and explained them to her.> When we left my friend said> "your hair looks the same, but shorter" My> mother never goes and gets her hair cut for the same> reason. No one can do anything with our hair. It> doesn't take a style right. Or maybe I haven't found> the right stylist.> As far as products go, I don't really use any. I> shampoo and condition with Nature's Gate rainwater> awapuhi. I then either massage in a leave-in> conditioner or the awapuhi conditioner. Lately, I've> been massaging in some oil. It has> all sorts of different oils in it including olive and> jojoba. I sometimes use frizz ease, but I haven't used> that> for about 2 months. That's what I'm talking about. I> can't figure out what the deal is. I should have> healthy hair. It's so depressing!~kDear k.Im sorry to hear that you had such a terrible time with stylists and salons. There are excellent stylist`s out there unfortanetly its just very hard to find them.I also belive you should have heathy hair as well. A couple other things to consider: Do you have well water or water that is high in iron or other chemicals? Medication can also reeck havic with your hair. I really hope you find the solution to this problem. Good luck and keep smiling! :)Diane K.PS. Textured bangs dont usualy look different than normal bangs. But the texturing should give you extra volume when styling. :)Have a great day! :)
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:22am
> Dear K.> Using house hold scissors can cause damage to the> hair. There not made to cut hair with and even if the> blades are sharp your hair can dull them and the> blades also bend the hair as they cut. So your> probably getting more of a sawing action instead of a> percision cut. When was the last time you had your> hair cut in the salon? Did you have the same problems?> You also complain of damaged. Have you tried different> products or are they the same that you always use.> Some products can be drying maybe you need something> new thats specificaly for your hair type. Maybe you> should ask a friend that has great hair what she uses> or talk to a stylist the next time your in a salon. It> cant hurt to ask.> Happy healthy hair,> Diane K.I've never been to a salon but once and vowed, NEVER AGAIN. That's been about 6 or 7 years ago. I told her just to trim the ends and give me some textured bangs- I think that's what they were called, my friend was with me and she had them and explained them to her. When we left my friend said"your hair looks the same, but shorter" My mother never goes and gets her hair cut for the same reason. No one can do anything with our hair. It doesn't take a style right. Or maybe I haven't found the right stylist.As far as products go, I don't really use any. I shampoo and condition with Nature's Gate rainwater awapuhi. I then either massage in a leave-in conditioner or the awapuhi conditioner. Lately, I've been massaging in some oil. It hasall sorts of different oils in it including olive and jojoba. I sometimes use frizz ease, but I haven't used thatfor about 2 months. That's what I'm talking about. I can't figure out what the deal is. I should have healthy hair. It's so depressing!~k
Diane K. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:21am
> My hair is about to my shoulders. I do use oil in my> hair. I do hot oil treatments. I put mayo,> yogurt,etc... When I'm outside I put oil in. It just> seems that no matter how well I treat my hair, it's> determined to be damaged. I also leave conditioner in> my hair. I'm convinced that I just have bad hair! ~kDear K.Using house hold scissors can cause damage to the hair. There not made to cut hair with and even if the blades are sharp your hair can dull them and the blades also bend the hair as they cut. So your probably getting more of a sawing action instead of a percision cut. When was the last time you had your hair cut in the salon? Did you have the same problems?You also complain of damaged. Have you tried different products or are they the same that you always use. Some products can be drying maybe you need something new thats specificaly for your hair type. Maybe you should ask a friend that has great hair what she uses or talk to a stylist the next time your in a salon. It cant hurt to ask.Happy healthy hair,Diane K.
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:21am
> How long is your hair? My hair is waist-length, and I> end up with some damage no matter how careful I am.> What I have found to be the most helpful are hot oil> treatments. I use warm olive oil on my dry hair before> I go to sleep every night. If I'm going to wash my> hair the next morning then I use a lot -- enough to> make all of my hair greasy for the night. (I sleep in> a sleeping cap those nights.) If I'm not going to wash> my hair the next morning, then I just use about a dime> sized amount of oil and rub it through the ends of my> hair. I used to use regular household scissors, but> when I switched to actual hair-cutting scissors I> found I had a lot less breakage.> Good luck!My hair is about to my shoulders. I do use oil in my hair. I do hot oil treatments. I put mayo, yogurt,etc... When I'm outside I put oil in. It just seems that no matter how well I treat my hair, it's determined to be damaged. I also leave conditioner in my hair. I'm convinced that I just have bad hair! ~k
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:21am
How long is your hair? My hair is waist-length, and I end up with some damage no matter how careful I am. What I have found to be the most helpful are hot oil treatments. I use warm olive oil on my dry hair before I go to sleep every night. If I'm going to wash my hair the next morning then I use a lot -- enough to make all of my hair greasy for the night. (I sleep in a sleeping cap those nights.) If I'm not going to wash my hair the next morning, then I just use about a dime sized amount of oil and rub it through the ends of my hair. I used to use regular household scissors, but when I switched to actual hair-cutting scissors I found I had a lot less breakage.Good luck!
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:20am
> Does the type of scissors that you trim your hair with> really matter? The scissors I've seen that are> specified for hair are usually around $10- $15. I use> just all-purpose around the house type of scissors for> around $2.00.> But, that's all I use them for. I thought that as long> as they are sharp, that's all that matters. I use them> trim split-ends, not to create a style. Thanks for> your help!The main reason why I was asking this question was because I am doing a type of elimination process. I 'm trying to figure out why my hair is so damaged and breaking off. I don't use any type of heat on my hair, I stopped my old way of shampooing and it has helped, but I was thinking that maybe the way I was cutting my hair was the culprit. If anyone knows, please tell me. My hair is driving me crazy. I should have the healthist hair around, but instead I have split-ends all the way up the hair shaft and i shouldn't.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:20am
Does the type of scissors that you trim your hair with really matter? The scissors I've seen that are specified for hair are usually around $10- $15. I use just all-purpose around the house type of scissors for around $2.00.But, that's all I use them for. I thought that as long as they are sharp, that's all that matters. I use them trim split-ends, not to create a style. Thanks for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic