Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI'm sick of split-ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm sick of split-ends
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:42am
I was brushing my hair yesterday upside down and I ran my hand over my hair as I brushed it and it felt really dry so I look in the mirror and there are hundreds of tiny split-ends on the under side of my hair. I trimmed a few of them, but I mean there are hundreds of them. And they run up the shaft of the hair. Are my barrettes causing this? I use the plastic ones and I use the cloth covered pony tail holders. I really getting tired of my hair! It's finally growing, which is a miracle in itself, and now I have split ends underneath my hair. Anyone else with this problem? ~k
bb View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:42am
> I was brushing my hair yesterday upside down and I ran> my hand over my hair as I brushed it and it felt> really dry so I look in the mirror and there are> hundreds of tiny split-ends on the under side of my> hair. I trimmed a few of them, but I mean there are> hundreds of them. And they run up the shaft of the> hair. Are my barrettes causing this? I use the plastic> ones and I use the cloth covered pony tail holders. I> really getting tired of my hair! It's finally growing,> which is a miracle in itself, and now I have split> ends underneath my hair. Anyone else with this> problem? ~kYes!!!!!!!!!And I know of a cure(solution)! As per George Michael, the czar of long hair, starting at the front, take about a 1" parting and separate it from the rest of your hair. Now take that small section and twist is to the ends. You will see all those NASTY split ends standing straight out!!! Simply take your scissors and snip off ONLY the split ends. Then go on to the next section, and so forth. It really doesn't take that long and it REALLY DOES WORK!!!!!!!Let me know if it works!!
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:42am
The method bb mentioned works well for me too. Be sure to use small sharp scissors. I use Gingher embroidery scissors. I nip away at my split ends while I watch a movie or my soaps. It doesn't take long once you get the splits under control. Just snip off the feathery dead looking ends. You will be amazed at how much better your hair will look and the best part is you don't lose any length. Another thing I have discovered is jojoba oil treatments. I buy pure jojoba oil at a health food store and at night put some on my hair from the nape down. My hair just seems to drink up the oil. It can be a little messy and you really look like a "slick chick"! I put old pillowcases on my pillows because it can get messy on nice pillowcases. This has worked wonders on my hair. Up until I started using the jojoba oil I was having to have 1" cut off my ends every 6 weeks. My hair was getting shorter not longer like I wanted. Since beginning this routine I haven't had a trim in 2 & 1/2 months and my hair is growing and I don't see hardly any splits.And those I snip off. I am scheduled for a trim in 2 weeks and plan to just have 1/2" trimmed off to keep the ends nice and even. Good luck and hope this helps.
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:43am
> Yes!!!!!!!!!And I know of a cure(solution)! As per> George Michael, the czar of long hair, starting at the> front, take about a 1" parting and separate it> from the rest of your hair. Now take that small> section and twist is to the ends. You will see all> those NASTY split ends standing straight out!!! Simply> take your scissors and snip off ONLY the split ends.> Then go on to the next section, and so forth. It> really doesn't take that long and it REALLY DOES> WORK!!!!!!!> Let me know if it works!!thnaks to both of you for your advice! I'm going to give it a try and the jojoba oil is a good idea ! Thanks again!~k
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:43am
I put old pillowcases on my> pillows because it can get messy on nice pillowcases.Generally, when I oil my hair I braid it and put a cotton sock over the braid and tie it into place...this keeps my pillow cases from getting oily.
brenda
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:43am
Brenda, thank you for that tip. I will try it. Carolym
Veronica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
> The method bb mentioned works well for me too. Be sure> to use small sharp scissors. I use Gingher embroidery> scissors. I nip away at my split ends while I watch a> movie or my soaps. It doesn't take long once you get> the splits under control. Just snip off the feathery> dead looking ends. You will be amazed at how much> better your hair will look and the best part is you> don't lose any length. Another thing I have discovered> is jojoba oil treatments. I buy pure jojoba oil at a> health food store and at night put some on my hair> from the nape down. My hair just seems to drink up the> oil. It can be a little messy and you really look like> a "slick chick"! I put old pillowcases on my> pillows because it can get messy on nice pillowcases.> This has worked wonders on my hair. Up until I started> using the jojoba oil I was having to have 1" cut> off my ends every 6 weeks. My hair was getting shorter> not longer like I wanted. Since beginning this routine> I haven't had a trim in 2 & 1/2 months and my hair> is growing and I don't see hardly any splits.And those> I snip off. I am scheduled for a trim in 2 weeks and> plan to just have 1/2" trimmed off to keep the> ends nice and even. Good luck and hope this helps.Do you leave the jojoba oil in your hair, or rinse it outthe next day?
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
> Do you leave the jojoba oil in your hair, or rinse it> out> the next day?Also, how often do you use the oil? Every week?
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
I try to do the jojoba oil treatment once or twice a week. At first I did it every other night. My hair just seemed to drink it up. I leave it on overnight and in the morning I shampoo using 2 latherings, once with a shampoo like Nature's Gate or a clarifying one and then with a shampoo for either shinier hair or thicker hair. Then I condition, sometimes mixing two conditioners and leave it on for a full 5 minutes. I don't know how "correct" this is but it has worked well for me. My hair is growing faster and I am not getting all the split ends I before I started this routine. I shampoo and condition about 5 times a week. I am going to try the idea of putting a cotton sock over my oil treated braid for overnight. I think my pillowcases would stay cleaner longer.I have been doing this for 4 months and my hair has grown 2 & 1/2" plus I have had a 1/2" trim the middle of June. I am scheduled for another 1/2" trim in 2 weeks just to keep my ends nice and even. I am really pleased with the growth I have had since starting this regimine.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:46am
Hi,I'm a little late to answer here, and this might sound dumb, but I was wondering if you were sure they were actually split ends? New hair growth that was growing in that replaces old hair that is shed daily can stick out and look like split ends. Actual split ends must have a two ends sticking out from the end of the hair strand. I just didn't want you to be cutting off NON split ends! Sorry if this sounds dumb!:)Also, to Carylon B., I like the sound of using Jojoba oil, I wanted to ask if it stings the eyes if you get it in your eyes overnight from sleeping, or even just accidentaly touching your eyes when applying to your hair?Thanks,HollyHolly
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:47am
> Hi,> I'm a little late to answer here, and this might sound> dumb, but I was wondering if you were sure they were> actually split ends? New hair growth that was growing> in that replaces old hair that is shed daily can stick> out and look like split ends. Actual split ends must> have a two ends sticking out from the end of the hair> strand. I just didn't want you to be cutting off NONsplit ends! Sorry if this sounds dumb!:)> Hey Holly-Thanks for responding. I didn't think your question was dumb, but they are split-ends. I've even found a couple that had three or four split-ends! Can you believe it? My hair must be really damaged, but I'm trying to get it under control and get my hair back healthy! ~k
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:47am
Hi Holly! No question is ever dumb IMO. I sure am no expert on hair care. I do really think the splits are real as I do a good brushing before starting in on trimming the individual splits. I have been doing this since my college days which were longer ago than I would care to admit! All my friends and I used to trim our ends like that. We would also do each others splits. I have never gotten the jojoba oil in my eyes. I think my hair soaks it up very fast. I don't put so much on so that it's running all over. I imagine I use 1-2 tablespoons on my hair. I look really greasy but who cares as long as I am at home! The jojoba oil has kind of a nutty odor, not real unpleasant but not really nice like some of the fruity or floral scents in some products. Good luck and hope this will help if you decide to try it.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:47am
Maybe I'll give the oil a try! Thanks again!Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:47am
Glad you and Carolyn didn't think my question was dumb!Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic