Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDOES ANYONE MONITOR THIS MESSAGE BOARD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anyone Here? View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anyone Here? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DOES ANYONE MONITOR THIS MESSAGE BOARD?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
I was just wondering if anyone from the hairboutique site monitors this message board because so many questions here seem to go unanswered and ignored a lot of the time. Someone really needs to look after this board on a regular basis; ideally on a daily basis.People who leave messages here are desperately looking for professional advice and timely answers to their questions. So please hairboutique, help us all out by addressing this problem, and thereby greatly improving this message board for all of us. Thank you.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
> People who leave messages here are desperately looking> for professional advice and timely answers to their> questions.I certainly agree.> So please hairboutique, help us all out by> addressing this problem, and thereby greatly improving> this message board for all of us. Thank you.The problem: People have to make a living by earning money. I'm unfamiliar with this website's situation, but many websites like this are a labor of love. No money is earned, and all work on the site is performed in people's spare time. I have little doubt that the very knowledgeable and kind people who work here would love to make sure every question and concern is addressed. But careers, marriages, children, and other things all have to be balanced into 24 hours a day.Also, this site is free. Any information gleaned from it is a bonus! And if you don't like it, well, ask for your money back! {grin}
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anyone Here? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
> I certainly agree.> The problem: People have to make a living by earning> money. I'm unfamiliar with this website's situation,> but many websites like this are a labor of love. No> money is earned, and all work on the site is performed> in people's spare time. I have little doubt that the> very knowledgeable and kind people who work here would> love to make sure every question and concern is> addressed. But careers, marriages, children, and other> things all have to be balanced into 24 hours a day.************************************************************My response to Jena:I fully understand and am sympathetic the points you make above, re: "The problem"... FYI, I very much appreciate this site and have gathered valuable information from it; for that I am truly grateful to Hair Boutique!! I was merely making a reasonable "suggestion" that perhaps they could find someone who could regularly address the message board part of this site, as it would help so many people who come here desperately seeking timely hair advice. Apparently you are not cognizant of the fact that people who have web sites encourage and appreciate comments and suggestions, as they are continually looking for ways to improve their sites.Therefore, your childish, snide remark below was totally uncalled for:> "Also, this site is free. Any information gleaned from> it is a bonus! And if you don't like it, well, ask for> your money back! {grin}"--Anyone Home
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
I was merely making a reasonable> "suggestion" that perhaps they could find> someone who could regularly address the message board> part of this site, as it would help so many people who> come here desperately seeking timely hair advice.If you come up with the money, I am quite sure someone could be found, although true experts are often busy in their respective fields and have little spare time to devote to giving away free advice.> Therefore, your childish, snide remark below was> totally uncalled for:Oh, quit being so sensitive. I was simply telling it like it is. You simply can't expect something for nothing. And part of the function of a message board like this is for participants to help one another, which doesn't always mean someone will have an answer to every question or concern posed.Again, if you don't like it, ask for your money back.....
Audrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
QUIT WHINING!!! Nobody asked you for any money and everything is free, you get what you pay for.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anyone Here? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
> > Again, if you don't like it, ask for your money> back..... ***Again, childish and snide!! ************************************************************How a mere innocent "suggestion" can incite such rude comments from people is laughable. You all need to take a deep breath and RELAX!!I'll submit my "suggestion" by e-mail to the Hair Boutique Webmaster where I'm sure it will be taken into consideration by the people for which it was intended. End of story.
Audrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Audrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
All I did was explain a likely reason that people were not at your beck and call 24 hours a day to answer your questions. Again, most likely these people are volunteers, and time is short.> How a mere innocent "suggestion" can incite> such rude comments from people is laughable.Oh don't take life so seriously. May I suggest you look into a sense of humor? You'll live longer and live a much happier life, no matter what your hair looks like! And who knows, you might....you might....laugh!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
Uh, thanks Audrey. BTW, she is a friend of mine who used my computer to post, so her name was in the "name" section when I posted and I didn't even notice it. Sorry for the confusion.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anyone Here? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
> All I did was explain a likely reason that people were> not at your beck and call 24 hours a day to answer> your questions. Again, most likely these people are> volunteers, and time is short.> Oh don't take life so seriously. May I suggest you> look into a sense of humor? You'll live longer and> live a much happier life, no matter what your hair> looks like! And who knows, you might....you> might....laugh!************************************************************the ridiculous way you are choosing to perpetuate this! Happy?!May I suggest that you LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Bill S View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
you ought to take you own advice and drop it, you took jean's post real seriously and personally. get a life.
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
Hi Jena,don't pay attention to "Anyone Here?"'s oversensitivity and putdowns. Some people are like that. I agree with you- I personally think that this is a wonderful board, and the whole beauty of it is that we all get advice from all sorts of different people with different backgrounds, different experiences and of course, different hair types. As for the unanswered questions, maybe Karen doesn't know the answers to some of them- she's human afer all. Besides, if Karen were to be the one answering every single unanswered question, 1) she would be repeating the same information over and over again, 2)it would become a "Karen's Experience" board, instead of and overall "Hair Talk" board, which would defy the purpose of this board, and 3)poor Karen would become so pooped from having to answer all of these messages that she would have to close this board! Now how many of us want that to happen? (Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little)I just think Karen is doing a great job, and I wish that more people appreciated it. Thanks for standing up for "Hair Talk", Jena.PD> Uh, thanks Audrey. BTW, she is a friend of mine who> used my computer to post, so her name was in the> "name" section when I posted and I didn't> even notice it. Sorry for the confusion.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
>you hit the nail on the head PD. Karen has many other things that she need to attend to like a job etc. There is so much knowledge within ourselves that we can easily learn from each other.But anyone here has a good point in asking Karen about it also. No big deal in asking. I asked for something once and look we now have a hair politic and bloopers.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:45am
>I personally think that this> is a wonderful board, and the whole beauty of it is> that we all get advice from all sorts of different> people with different backgrounds, different> experiences and of course, different hair types.Yes! It's a great place for sharing ideas, even when we often have very differing views!I also think it's important to realize that the only communication we have in this medium is that of the written word. Our intent can be interpretted many different ways, so we should try to give others the benefit of the doubt (I know I certainly need to work on this). And also, if we were all sitting in the same room with the same topics, I can almost guarantee that our language and emotions would be very different.The good news is that when we're typing more-or-less anonymously, we can be totally honest and candid since we don't have to look others in the eye when we "talk." We feel less threatened.The bad news is that when we're typing more-or-less anonymously, we can be totally honest and candid since we don't have to look others in the eye when we "talk!" And since we feel less threatened, we might use much harsher language than we otherwise would.Have a great Labor Day weekend!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:46am
Hi Everyone,Thanks for all the feedback.Jeff and I monitor ALL of the boards (we have 7 boards - not including archives). I try to catch up at least once a week but unless someone specifically addresses a question to me, I usually don't respond, since we want everyone to feel that all the boards are free, uncensored and for free exchange of ideas.I do get anywhere from 25-50 (my highest so far) emails a day related specifically to Hair Boutique. I also get several AskKaren questions which I try to answer personally to the best of my ability and time permitting.The Hair Boutique is 100% supported by Jeff and my personal checkbooks. It is definitely a labor of love that we try to share with everyone.Jeff and I know there are many things we could do to make the Hair Boutique site better but sometimes lack of funds and time are a problem.We originally opened the Marketplace to try and generate a little revenue to help support the site and that helps a tiny bit. It does not come close to even paying for the monthy web hosting fees.Please understand that I am not complaining but trying to share some information. I love getting email, I love helping people with hair questions when I can.Jeff and I are both 100% devoted to the site.Unfortunately both Jeff and I have full time careers in the software world and we often work 10-12 hour days before we even get a chance to work on Hair Boutique.We do have a lot of great volunteers like William who helps with all the hair color questions and Spencer Kobren who answers hair loss questions & Jane Bullock who writes hair articles.We also have a lot of friends that help by posting to the Hair Talk and other boards (thank you all, Jeff and I really appreciate it).I try to cover as many general questions as possible in AskKaren and we have over 275 articles on hair care in the Tips & Articles section.Sometimes posts to Hair Talk aren't answered. It doesn't mean they are not viewed or that it is anything personal to the poster. It just means no one had a good answer or maybe they were not sure what to say.The purpose of Hair Talk was never meant to be a forum for professionals to answer questions. It was meant to be a place for people who feel like sharing, to share.Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone. It was nice to see all the support for Jeff and I and Hair Boutique.We do try to make this a great site but sometimes we just run out of time and energy. :-)Best wishes to all,Karen & JeffHair Boutique Webmasters> But anyone here has a good point in asking Karen about> it also. No big deal in asking. I asked for something> once and look we now have a hair politic and bloopers.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Allyson Hartly View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allyson Hartly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:49am
This is my opinion, ONLY, but if anyone is being childish and snide, it's you. I'm sorry but this board has done wonders for me and I thank everyone who has ever posted here would agree. I want to thank everyone personally for the help they have offered in my hair problems. If it was THAT easy, then hair dressers, stylists, and consultants wouldn't make a living. Either live with the way the board is ran, or (better yet) start your own somewhere else. I personally think I'll stick to this one.
Allyson Hartly View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allyson Hartly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:49am
And thank you for it, Karen, for it. I am very appreciative of this board because you know what? You don't have to run it. You don't have to take time out of your busy schedule to run it and offer help. Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic