Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sensitive scalp/Possible shampoo allergy/Can you help??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSensitive scalp/Possible shampoo allergy/Can you help??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sensitive scalp/Possible shampoo allergy/Can you help??
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:48am
Hello. I really hope someone can help. I have a very sensitive scalp which has a tendency to break out in these painful pimples if I use haircare products with certain ingrediants. I'm not sure what ingrediants are causing the problem, but recently I tried using an Aveda shampoo and that caused an outbreak too. When I went to see my doctor, she told me that I might be allergic to certain ingrediants in shampoos/conditioners. In the past other shampoos and conditioners have caused the same reaction such as Pantene and Suave. Most of the time, it's been the conditioner causing the problem though which led to my hair follicles becoming clogged and a hair infection called Folliculitis. However I've been on Accutane twice (the last time in '95) and haven't had a bad outbreak of Folliculitis since. My scalp is still a little bit oily though, but drier than it used to be. It still itches though if I don't wash it every day and if I don't wash it every day, that's when the bumps appear too. My doctor tells me I just have a very sensitive scalp which is on the oily side. My hair is ultra thick, below my shoulders, and coarse. I call it normal to slightly dry. Anyways, I am at a loss what kind of shampoo to try. I do not know what to look for and what to stay away from. My Doctor just told me to stay away from colors and fragnance. She tells me to stay away from Suave and try Pantene, but years ago before they changed the formula I tried Pantene and had a reaction to that too. Can anybody help me? Anybody else been through this? What has worked for you? I would really appreciate it if anybody could help and if you could email me, I'd really appreciate it so much!! I find this so frustrating! Thanks so much!!MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:48am
Hi Maira.I have a sensitive scalp too. I realized that the only thing that can prevent breakouts, itchiness, and hairloss due to ingredients is switching to natural products. You can find many of these in health food stores. I remember trying ARTec and the pimples appeared (I'm not kidding!) withing 15 minutes. So I know what you mean about sensitivity. My personal favorite product is Aubrey Organics (you can read more about it in the Tips and Articles sections of the Hair Boutique). It nearly cured my pimples. The difference is very noticible.From my experience, and itchy scalp my be due to not only sensitivity, but also to lack of stimulation/blood circulation. You can fix this by doing scalp massages regularly (every other day/once a week)using oils. Jojoba oil, olive oil, and coconut oil will moisturize and nourish the scalp. Essential oils, such as rosemary, lavender, bay leaf, basil, lemongrass, tea tree, etc. will stimulate and nourish the scalp. Don't use essential oils directly on the skin; rather, mix a few drops of EO's into a carrier oil, such as jojoba. If you are allergic to plant essences, then you can do oil massages without EO's, like mentioned before. Or you can massage your scalp without using any oils at all. As long as you get the blood flowing.I don't know what else to tell you. I find natural products to be more effective and more gentle, and I think they will work better for you than Pantene and other unnatural brands. Hope this helps,PD> Hello. I really hope someone can help. I have a very> sensitive scalp which has a tendency to break out in> these painful pimples if I use haircare products with> certain ingrediants. I'm not sure what ingrediants are> causing the problem, but recently I tried using an> Aveda shampoo and that caused an outbreak too. When I> went to see my doctor, she told me that I might be> allergic to certain ingrediants in> shampoos/conditioners. In the past other shampoos and> conditioners have caused the same reaction such as> Pantene and Suave. Most of the time, it's been the> conditioner causing the problem though which led to my> hair follicles becoming clogged and a hair infection> called Folliculitis. However I've been on Accutane> twice (the last time in '95) and haven't had a bad> outbreak of Folliculitis since. My scalp is still a> little bit oily though, but drier than it used to be.> It still itches though if I don't wash it every day> and if I don't wash it every day, that's when the> bumps appear too. My doctor tells me I just have a> very sensitive scalp which is on the oily side. My> hair is ultra thick, below my shoulders, and coarse. I> call it normal to slightly dry. Anyways, I am at a> loss what kind of shampoo to try. I do not know what> to look for and what to stay away from. My Doctor just> told me to stay away from colors and fragnance. She> tells me to stay away from Suave and try Pantene, but> years ago before they changed the formula I tried> Pantene and had a reaction to that too. Can anybody> help me? Anybody else been through this? What has> worked for you? I would really appreciate it if> anybody could help and if you could email me, I'd> really appreciate it so much!! I find this so> frustrating! Thanks so much!!> Maria
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:49am
You might want to give Nature's Gate a try. You can buy it at Target. Its a gentle shampoo that uses a lot of natural ingreedients. One suggestion, though, if I were you I wouldn't try the Original Herbal Shampoo or Conditioner because they has a very strong scent. You might want to try Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner because they are supposed to be good for the scalp. Another good one for you might be the Keratin variety.Let us know if you find anything that helps!> Hello. I really hope someone can help. I have a very> sensitive scalp which has a tendency to break out in> these painful pimples if I use haircare products with> certain ingrediants. I'm not sure what ingrediants are> causing the problem, but recently I tried using an> Aveda shampoo and that caused an outbreak too. When I> went to see my doctor, she told me that I might be> allergic to certain ingrediants in> shampoos/conditioners. In the past other shampoos and> conditioners have caused the same reaction such as> Pantene and Suave. Most of the time, it's been the> conditioner causing the problem though which led to my> hair follicles becoming clogged and a hair infection> called Folliculitis. However I've been on Accutane> twice (the last time in '95) and haven't had a bad> outbreak of Folliculitis since. My scalp is still a> little bit oily though, but drier than it used to be.> It still itches though if I don't wash it every day> and if I don't wash it every day, that's when the> bumps appear too. My doctor tells me I just have a> very sensitive scalp which is on the oily side. My> hair is ultra thick, below my shoulders, and coarse. I> call it normal to slightly dry. Anyways, I am at a> loss what kind of shampoo to try. I do not know what> to look for and what to stay away from. My Doctor just> told me to stay away from colors and fragnance. She> tells me to stay away from Suave and try Pantene, but> years ago before they changed the formula I tried> Pantene and had a reaction to that too. Can anybody> help me? Anybody else been through this? What has> worked for you? I would really appreciate it if> anybody could help and if you could email me, I'd> really appreciate it so much!! I find this so> frustrating! Thanks so much!!> Maria
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:50am
Maria,I got your e-mail and responded. Did you receive it?PD is right about the oils and the massage. That should soothe your scalp very much.Bye for now,JadeHello. I really hope someone can help. I have a very> sensitive scalp which has a tendency to break out in> these painful pimples if I use haircare products with> certain ingrediants. I'm not sure what ingrediants are> causing the problem, but recently I tried using an> Aveda shampoo and that caused an outbreak too. When I> went to see my doctor, she told me that I might be> allergic to certain ingrediants in> shampoos/conditioners. In the past other shampoos and> conditioners have caused the same reaction such as> Pantene and Suave. Most of the time, it's been the> conditioner causing the problem though which led to my> hair follicles becoming clogged and a hair infection> called Folliculitis. However I've been on Accutane> twice (the last time in '95) and haven't had a bad> outbreak of Folliculitis since. My scalp is still a> little bit oily though, but drier than it used to be.> It still itches though if I don't wash it every day> and if I don't wash it every day, that's when the> bumps appear too. My doctor tells me I just have a> very sensitive scalp which is on the oily side. My> hair is ultra thick, below my shoulders, and coarse. I> call it normal to slightly dry. Anyways, I am at a> loss what kind of shampoo to try. I do not know what> to look for and what to stay away from. My Doctor just> told me to stay away from colors and fragnance. She> tells me to stay away from Suave and try Pantene, but> years ago before they changed the formula I tried> Pantene and had a reaction to that too. Can anybody> help me? Anybody else been through this? What has> worked for you? I would really appreciate it if> anybody could help and if you could email me, I'd> really appreciate it so much!! I find this so> frustrating! Thanks so much!!> Maria
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:50am
> Hi Maira.> I have a sensitive scalp too. I realized that the only> thing that can prevent breakouts, itchiness, and> hairloss due to ingredients is switching to natural> products. You can find many of these in health food> stores. I remember trying ARTec and the pimples> appeared (I'm not kidding!) withing 15 minutes. So I> know what you mean about sensitivity. My personal> favorite product is Aubrey Organics (you can read more> about it in the Tips and Articles sections of the Hair> Boutique). It nearly cured my pimples. The difference> is very noticible.> From my experience, and itchy scalp my be due to not> only sensitivity, but also to lack of> stimulation/blood circulation. You can fix this by> doing scalp massages regularly (every other day/once a> week)using oils. Jojoba oil, olive oil, and coconut> oil will moisturize and nourish the scalp. Essential> oils, such as rosemary, lavender, bay leaf, basil,> lemongrass, tea tree, etc. will stimulate and nourish> the scalp. Don't use essential oils directly on the> skin; rather, mix a few drops of EO's into a carrier> oil, such as jojoba. If you are allergic to plant> essences, then you can do oil massages without EO's,> like mentioned before. Or you can massage your scalp> without using any oils at all. As long as you get the> blood flowing.> I don't know what else to tell you. I find natural> products to be more effective and more gentle, and I> think they will work better for you than Pantene and> other unnatural brands. Hope this helps,> PDVitamin C causes a negative reaction in a lot of people.One of my clients broke out in red bumps after using Citre "something or other."It's a C based shampoo.
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:51am
Unless the person is allergic to vitamin C (which I never heard of before), then I doubt that the breakouts are due to Vit-C. More likely, they are due to other harmful ingredients (or combinations of ingredients which react together to form an irritating substance). If you are talking about Citre Shine, then I am POSITIVE that the breakouts are due to harmful ingredients rather than Vit-C, because Citre Shine uses a lot of unnatural chemicals/substances which are may cause breakouts for people with sensitive scalps, such as myself. That's just my unprofessional opinion. I don't have scientific proof, but my sense tells me that a natural vitamin is not likely to be harmful for most people.I am using products now which contain Vit-C. They work great. However, when I tried Citre Shine (tried it once and never again!), I had breakouts too. So at least for me, it wasn't the Vit-C that did it. As a matter of fact, it would seem to me that Vit-C is the ONLY unharmful ingredient in Citre Shine! Again, I might be wrong. Just my own experience.PD> Vitamin C causes a negative reaction in a lot of> people.One of my clients broke out in red bumps after> using Citre "something or other."It's a C> based shampoo.
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:51am
Hi Jade :)How's it going? Hope you're having a nice weekend! Thanks so much for your reply here and the email - I really appreciate it and you and the others here have already helped me so much! I'm going to try what you and the others have suggested here. I've already looked into the Aubrey Organics website and some of their products. I'm going to start off with a couple of the shampoos and maybe the facial cleanser for normal to oily skin.You know, just from reading your emails, what you've written here, and over at the curly board, your hair and scalp sounds very similiar to mine. Like your's my scalp is very sensitive, but mine is on the oily side and prone to flaking. Also, my hair is mostly straight but has slightly wavy in certain parts. The wave however is not uniform all over the hair. My hair also is normal to slightly dry, coarse, and very heavy (Hairdressers have told me ever since I was a child that I have enough hair for three people and LOL I used to roll my eyes at that.). I had natural curly hair as a child, but when I was five accompanied my little brother to the Barber and asked if I could have my down to my behind curly hair cut. My Dad gave his okay and the Barber went snip snip snip. My hair went from long and curly to shoulder length and straight with bangs. When I got home, my Mother and Nana took one look and were very upset. They jumped in the car and drove around the neighborhood for an hour. They spent most of my childhood trying to encourage my hair to be curly again, but it refused. It's funny because my younger sister and brother both have very curly hair and I don't. My sister used to tell me when I was little that I was adopted. LOL!Anyways, thanks so much again!! Have a great weekend!!Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:51am
Hi Jen :)Thanks so much for your reply - I really appreciate it! I've heard about Nature's Gate, but unfortanately we don't seem to have it around here. I don't think we have any Target stores around here either, but I heard one is coming soon. Is Nature's Gate available online somewhere? I think for now I'm going to try Aubrey Organics shampoo and see how that works, but I will try Nature's Gate sometime in the future. Thanks again for suggesting it! Have a wonderful weekend!Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Hi JD :)How are you doing? I'd like to thank you so much for your reply! I found your advice, Jen's, JJ's, and Jade's posts all very helpful. I agree with you that natural products are better for us with sensitive skin and Aubrey Organics sounds like it would be great for me too. Like you, I have a history of my scalp breaking out within a short time of using a product. I can't tell you how many times I've been to my doctor since the late 80's because of my scalp. She even sent me to a dermatologist because I had acne at the time (I've been on Accutane twice and the last time was in '95)and the dermatologist told me what I already knew: that my skin and scalp were oily, but very sensitive. She told me also that I had Sebborhea which is oily scalp with flaking but when I asked her what kind of products could I use on my sensitive scalp, she just looked at me like I was crazy. She wouldn't give me any recommendations, but just told me to use any dandruff shampoo. I tried them all back then, but they made my scalp itch more and seemed to make it worse so I just threw them all away. The thing that helped the most when she prescribed the Accutane. It not only got rid of the Acne and the oilyness, but really helped the sebborhea too. It's not as bad as it used to be back then, but I still have it especially at my hairline at the nape of my neck.The last time I visited my regular doctor (who has always been ten times more helpful than the dermatologist which I stopped seeing in '95), she told me my problem isn't only the sebborhea but possible allergies to some ingrediants in shampoo/conditioner. In fact, just a week and a half ago while visiting her for asthma, we discovered more trouble on my scalp. Since I had used the Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo the day before, I suspect that created my problem which made me kind of sad. I really liked Aveda and was hoping that using a nice product like Aveda, it would be beneficial to my scalp and hair. I was so disapointed when I broke out after using it. Oh well.It seems that whenever I use anything with too much conditioner in it or certain ingrediants, I get the painful like pimples, redness, and itchyness. Years ago when this first started happening, she told me just not to use conditioner and my scalp couldn't tolerate any conditioning ingrediants. Before the Accutane, I was prone to something called Folliculitis which is infection of the hair follicles due to them becoming clogged from certain shampoo/conditioner ingrediants and boy, did that used to help! I used to break out with those all the time. I haven't had it bad since '95 (Only a few of those from time to time) and I think that's due to the Accutane but I still get the bumps, redness, and itchyness. I envy people who have normal scalps and can use any kinds of products who don't have this problem. They are so lucky. LOL!Anyways, it makes me feel much better to learn that I'm not the only one with a sensitive scalp and that Aubrey Organics has given you and Jade good results. I'm really looking forward to using these products! Can I ask you JD which Aubrey Organic shampoos you recommend and have helped you? I'd really appreciate it! Thank you so much!Have a wonderful weekend and thanks again for helping me!PS. Where do I order essential oils like jojobo oil? Can it be ordered online?Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Hi JD :)I just wanted to say what you wrote made a lot of sence. I've never tried Citre Shine and am very hesitant to try anymore drugstore/supermarket products or any that don't have all natural ingrediants. I never know what is going to cause me to break out anymore and I'm so tired of it. However with Aubrey Organics, maybe now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope so.By the way, a couple of products that I've broken out from were Suave, Pantene Pro V (The old formula and this one within the same day using it!), and even Aveda. I still can't believe I broke out from an Aveda product. How disapointing and it smelled so wonderful too. Oh well. I suspect the spearmint and peppermint in the product maybe was the problem, but I do not know for sure. I have no idea what ingrediants in the shampoos/conditioners cause the problem. Maybe it's the SLS, the colors, fragnance, and unatural ingrediants like you and Jade mentioned. I really appreciate both your insight.Can't wait for the couple of Aubrey products I ordered to arrive! Hope these work for me! I'll let you guys know. Wish me luck!!Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Hi Jen :)Thank you for your post and valuable insight. I really appreciate it.Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:51am
Hey again, Maria:)We are burning up this board today!> How's it going? Hope you're having a nice weekend!The morning and afternoon were simply glorious. Sunny, not too hot and no humidity. I was up with the birds this morning:) Great day to be alive!>I'm going to start off with a couple> of the shampoos and maybe the facial cleanser for> normal to oily skin.Do you have oily skin? I do and I use the Natural and Herbal facial cleanser by Aubrey. Fantastic stuff! Really cleans the pores, but is very gentle and leaves the skin so soft. Maria, don't get me started on the facial masks:) Excellent.> You know, just from reading your emails, what you've> written here, and over at the curly board, your hair> and scalp sounds very similiar to mine. Like your's my> scalp is very sensitive, but mine is on the oily side> and prone to flaking. Also, my hair is mostly straight> but has slightly wavy in certain parts. The wave> however is not uniform all over the hair. My hair also> is normal to slightly dry, coarse, and very heavyMaria, we must be like cybertwins or something:) I think my hair is actually somewhere between medium and course.> (Hairdressers have told me ever since I was a child> that I have enough hair for three people and LOL I> used to roll my eyes at that.). I had natural curly> hair as a child, but when I was five accompanied my> little brother to the Barber and asked if I could have> my down to my behind curly hair cut. My Dad gave his> okay and the Barber went snip snip snip. My hair went> from long and curly to shoulder length and straight> with bangs. When I got home, my Mother and Nana took> one look and were very upset. They jumped in the car> and drove around the neighborhood for an hour. They> spent most of my childhood trying to encourage my hair> to be curly again, but it refused. It's funny because> my younger sister and brother both have very curly> hair and I don't. My sister used to tell me when I was> little that I was adopted. LOL!This is a GREAT story, Maria. You had me laughing big time.> Anyways, thanks so much again!! Have a great weekend!!> Maria :)You, too!See ya lata....Jade
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:51am
>> breakouts are due to Vit-C. More likely, they are due> to other harmful ingredients (or combinations of> ingredients which react together to form an irritating> substance). If you are talking about Citre Shine, then> I am POSITIVE that the breakouts are due to harmful> ingredients rather than Vit-C, because Citre Shine> uses a lot of unnatural chemicals/substances which are> may cause breakouts for people with sensitive scalps,> such as myself. That's just my unprofessional opinion.> I don't have scientific proof, but my sense tells me> that a natural vitamin is not likely to be harmful for> most people.> I am using products now which contain Vit-C. They work> great. However, when I tried Citre Shine (tried it> once and never again!), I had breakouts too. So at> least for me, it wasn't the Vit-C that did it. As a> matter of fact, it would seem to me that Vit-C is the> ONLY unharmful ingredient in Citre Shine! Again, I> might be wrong. Just my own experience.> PD
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:52am
Hi Maria,>However with Aubrey> Organics, maybe now there's a light at the end of the> tunnel. I hope so.I hope so too. One word of caution, however. Some people experienced dryness with Aubrey Organics. To avoid this, keep the conditioners on your hair for as long as possible. A few years back I tried AO with horrible results because I left the GPB conditoiner on for only one minute. Now I leave it on for ten minutes, and it works GREAT! In other words, follow the instructions on the bottle carefuly. I think your hair will react better to AO this way. Just my own experience. I'm saying this because I don't want you to be disappointed if you experience dryness. Come to think of it, you'll figure out what works for you.> By the way, a couple of products that I've broken out> from were Suave, Pantene Pro V (The old formula and> this one within the same day using it!), and even> Aveda.Same here. I had problems with all of these too. The worst one for me was ARTec. It was very sad, because it gave my hair such wonderful volume like no other product I tried. But I figured that the volume isn't going to last long if my scalp breaks out, and my hair falls out. Oh yea. That's another thing I noticed. The more I break out, the greater the hair loss. As for Aveda, it wasn't as bad as the other products, but it wasn't as good as AO.Maybe it's> the SLS, the colors, fragnance, and unatural> ingrediants like you and Jade mentioned.Yup. I agree.> Can't wait for the couple of Aubrey products I ordered> to arrive! Hope these work for me! I'll let you guys> know. Wish me luck!!Thanks for the feedback, Maria. I really hope AO works for you. For many people it turned out to be a life saver...more like a hair saver :) Keep us in touch about your results. If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck to you,PD
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:52am
Hi Maria!Here is what worked for me: I have an oily scalp with flakies too, and AO's Calaguala Fern Shampoo works great. It might be a tad bit drying for you, since you have thick hair, but as long as you use it only on your scalp (not the rest of you hair), and if you use a good moisturizing conditioner, then I don't think you should have any problems with it. I use the GPB, but I have thin hair that is not as dry as some people's thick hair. If I were you, I would alternate between the GPB and the Honeysuckle or Jojoba & Aloe Conditioner. You can ask Jade more about the Honeysuckle Conditioner and the Jojoba & Aloe Conditioner, since I have never tried them, but I hear they work good for thick hair.Jojoba oil is not an essential oil. It is a carrier oil. Essential oils are plant essences which are sold in very high concentrations. You should not use them directly on your skin as they may be highly irritating. You can tell how strong they are by smalling them. Jojoba oil is a very mild olive-oil-type carrier oil. You can use it by itself, or mix into it a few drops of an essential oil. You can get jojoba oil at any health food store. The brand I use is called Desert Essence- it's the cheapest I have found so far. If you don't can't find that brand, AO makes jojoba oil too. But it is more expensive than Dessert Essence. If you absolutely can't find jojoba oil, olive oil works well too. It's more moisturizing than the jojoba.I was wondering. Have you ever considered that the sensitivity of your scalp might be caused by your diet? Sometimes if you are allergic to a type of food, your skin becomes over-sensitive to certain ingredients. Just a thought.Hope all of this helps. Remember to try out different things and see what works for you. You might not benifit from any of this, but then again you won't know until you have tried :) Good luck,PD> Hi JD :)> How are you doing? I'd like to thank you so much for> your reply! I found your advice, Jen's, JJ's, and> Jade's posts all very helpful. I agree with you that> natural products are better for us with sensitive skin> and Aubrey Organics sounds like it would be great for> me too. Like you, I have a history of my scalp> breaking out within a short time of using a product. I> can't tell you how many times I've been to my doctor> since the late 80's because of my scalp. She even sent> me to a dermatologist because I had acne at the time> (I've been on Accutane twice and the last time was in> '95)and the dermatologist told me what I already knew:> that my skin and scalp were oily, but very sensitive.> She told me also that I had Sebborhea which is oily> scalp with flaking but when I asked her what kind of> products could I use on my sensitive scalp, she just> looked at me like I was crazy. She wouldn't give me> any recommendations, but just told me to use any> dandruff shampoo. I tried them all back then, but they> made my scalp itch more and seemed to make it worse so> I just threw them all away. The thing that helped the> most when she prescribed the Accutane. It not only got> rid of the Acne and the oilyness, but really helped> the sebborhea too. It's not as bad as it used to be> back then, but I still have it especially at my> hairline at the nape of my neck.> The last time I visited my regular doctor (who has> always been ten times more helpful than the> dermatologist which I stopped seeing in '95), she told> me my problem isn't only the sebborhea but possible> allergies to some ingrediants in shampoo/conditioner.> In fact, just a week and a half ago while visiting her> for asthma, we discovered more trouble on my scalp.> Since I had used the Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo the> day before, I suspect that created my problem which> made me kind of sad. I really liked Aveda and was> hoping that using a nice product like Aveda, it would> be beneficial to my scalp and hair. I was so> disapointed when I broke out after using it. Oh well.> It seems that whenever I use anything with too much> conditioner in it or certain ingrediants, I get the> painful like pimples, redness, and itchyness. Years> ago when this first started happening, she told me> just not to use conditioner and my scalp couldn't> tolerate any conditioning ingrediants. Before the> Accutane, I was prone to something called Folliculitis> which is infection of the hair follicles due to them> becoming clogged from certain shampoo/conditioner> ingrediants and boy, did that used to help! I used to> break out with those all the time. I haven't had it> bad since '95 (Only a few of those from time to time)> and I think that's due to the Accutane but I still get> the bumps, redness, and itchyness. I envy people who> have normal scalps and can use any kinds of products> who don't have this problem. They are so lucky. LOL!> Anyways, it makes me feel much better to learn that> I'm not the only one with a sensitive scalp and that> Aubrey Organics has given you and Jade good results.> I'm really looking forward to using these products!> Can I ask you JD which Aubrey Organic shampoos you> recommend and have helped you? I'd really appreciate> it! Thank you so much!> Have a wonderful weekend and thanks again for helping> me!> PS. Where do I order essential oils like jojobo oil?> Can it be ordered online?> Maria :)
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic