Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSemipermanent Color and Starting Over

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alicia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alicia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semipermanent Color and Starting Over
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:54am
I have decided to stop coloring my hair, cut it short, and bascially start over. I'm going to have long HEALTHY hair if it's the last thing I do! (And at the rate I'm going, it may take that long.) I'm not going to color, blow-dry, or use a curling iron on it ever again. I'm going to try to avoid products with alcohol and choose natural products whenever possible. I've even starting taking H37 vitamins.My question is this. Does semipermanent color damage hair at all. I'm sure it's better for your hair than permanent color, but is it even slightly damaging?Thanks for your help.
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:54am
HiI admire your will power to go 100% natural!As to your question: Whether or not any hair color is damaging depends on the product. Some semi perm colors may still have some level of ammonia/peroxide. It's best to read labels carefully to determine what might be in them.Semi-perm is usuallymuch less chemically laden, and much less damaging than permanent.Robert craig produces hair colors that have absolutely no peroxide, alcohol or ammonia. I've never tried them, however, so I can't speak to the results. But this may be a route for you.You can check them out on this url:http://www.effect-inc.com/good luck to you! :) silvie
Suzanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:57am
> I have decided to stop coloring my hair, cut it short,> and bascially start over. I'm going to have long> HEALTHY hair if it's the last thing I do! (And at the> rate I'm going, it may take that long.) I'm not going> to color, blow-dry, or use a curling iron on it ever> again. I'm going to try to avoid products with alcohol> and choose natural products whenever possible. I've> even starting taking H37 vitamins.> My question is this. Does semipermanent color damage> hair at all. I'm sure it's better for your hair than> permanent color, but is it even slightly damaging?> Thanks for your help.I, too, am discontinueing coloring my hair (because I want to see how I like the grey mixed in with the brown as I grow it long.) I have mostly used "Loving Care" by Clairol, which is a semipermanent color that lasts 12 shampoos, or if you depart from your natural color much, up to a month to wash out. I have used this BECAUSE it has no peroxide, ammonia, or anything to damage my hair.Last April I tried "Natual Instincts", which has a bit of peroxide in it. BIG MISTAKE!! The hair which was colored with that is drier and requires constant conditioning, whereas with the other haircolor I didn't have to deep condition nearly as often.Moral of the story is, read the ingredients and stay away from peroxide or ammonia. Hope this helps.
Alicia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alicia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:57am
Thanks for your advice! I'll check out Loving Care and I'll stay away from ammonia and peroxide at all costs.It has been 10 weeks since I last colored my hair and I swear that even the colored part already seems softer since it didn't get it's regular abuse 5 weeks ago.This is going to be good.
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:01am
> Hi> I admire your will power to go 100% natural!> As to your question: Whether or not any hair color is> damaging depends on the product. Some semi perm colors> may still have some level of ammonia/peroxide. It's> best to read labels carefully to determine what might> be in them.> Semi-perm is usuallymuch less chemically laden, and> much less damaging than permanent.> Robert craig produces hair colors that have absolutely> no peroxide, alcohol or ammonia. I've never tried> them, however, so I can't speak to the results. But> this may be a route for you.Silvie:Do you know how to find out more about Robert Craig hair colors?Thanks.> You can check them out on this url:> http://www.effect-inc.com/> good luck to you! :) silvie
BaldSandra
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:02am
hiplease check out:http://www.effect-inc.com/this is the site for robert craig, which describes the product. let me know how it works for you, if you decide to try it.good luck :) silvie
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:02am
Thanks, Silvie. Have you tried this? It looks too good to be true. If there is no ammonia or peroxide, I wonder what makes it permanent? Any ideas?> please check out:> http://www.effect-inc.com/> this is the site for robert craig, which describes the> product. let me know how it works for you, if you> decide to try it.> good luck :) silvie
BaldSandra
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:02am
No, I have not tried it, as I am currently taking a break from hair coloring :), I agree with you though--how can it be permanent without some sort of chemicals? I think the ingredients must include some very strong natural coloring agents. Also, if you read some of the info they have on the site, though do explain the process a bit. You may want to call their 800 number for details. Or maybe post another message on this site, asking people if they've used this hair color. I think it's worth looking into. Hope this is helpful to you.:) silvie
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> the product is called Effects of Nature, and someone else posted a question about it at the top of this page--maybe you can watch for responses there!:) silvie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic