Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKaren: Long hair over 40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suzanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karen: Long hair over 40
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:57am
To Karen: You have inspired me to once again try to grow my hair long. Your article on Long hair on women over 40 (which seems to be the cut-off age in most people's minds) really helped.My problem usually begins when my hair is about halfway down my back, though I have ALWAYS wanted waisted length hair. I just seem to get tired of dealing with it, so I cut it and am sorry.Hopefully, your article and the long hair sites you have available will get me to my goal this time, though I am well over 40.Thanks for addressing this subject!
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:58am
Hi Karen! I am so glad there are other women out there who are over 40 and want long hair. I am 49 and in the process of growing my hair longer again. I have had almost waist length hair, like you and got bored with it and also listened to those people who think over 40 long hair is a no-no. I am now serious about having nice long hair again. This board and a couple of others has been a great support and inspiration and I thank all of you for that. I have learned so much! This past week I was in Chicago and was able to purchase several products that have been discussed here. I got Aveda and L'Anza long hair products and also Artec Moisture Pac. I haven't tried the L'Anza yet but will tomorrow. I am also doing jojoba oil treatments and I sit and trim off individual split ends while I watch tv at night. I used to do this in college but had kind of forgotten about the technique. I found a new beautician thru a recommendation from another woman with long hair and have a 2 great trims. I asked for a 1/2" trim and got it! I also went 3 months between trims and she said my hair was in good shape. So thanks everybody!Good luck Suzanne and let's all support each other in our quest for really long beautiful hair no matter what our age.
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:58am
I'm 41 and I have hair that falls about 3 inches past my shoulders. I tried a short hairstyle once, and not only did it look absolutely lousy on me, but I felt scalped not having hair down the sides and back.My next door neighbor is 65, and she has really long (at least mid-way down her back) auburn hair that looks great on her. She almost caved in to the idea that she was too old to have such long hair, but everyone who cares about her talked her out of it.My mother is 73 and she has golden blonde hair that falls just a little past her shoulders and she also was thinking of cutting it because she said that the women she hangs out with that are her age, wear their hair short and grey. But, she likes her hair the way it is, and I managed to talk her out of doing anything to it and she looks great.So, I think everyone over 40 should feel free to wear their hair any darn way that makes them feel good about themselves, and to blazes to anyone who tries to tell them differently!
Carolyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:58am
I also am 41, and last year I fell in step with the crowd and had my hair cut short. It was fun for a while, but now I am really sorry, it was about to the middle of my back. So, now I am in the sorry state of having to grow out many short layers, my hair looks lousy right now. Any hints on how to keep my hair looking nice and professional while it is growing out
Carolyn M. Bender
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:58am
How long is it right now?> I also am 41, and last year I fell in step with the> crowd and had my hair cut short. It was fun for a> while, but now I am really sorry, it was about to the> middle of my back. So, now I am in the sorry state of> having to grow out many short layers, my hair looks> lousy right now. Any hints on how to keep my hair> looking nice and professional while it is growing out
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:58am
Hi,Thanks so much for your kind words. I am glad I could help. I don't plan on ever cutting my hair if I can avoid it. :-) Please check out the Tips & Articles section of Hair Boutique...there are so many fun ways to do long hair and I am trying to continue to add more styles and ideas for longer hair.Best wishes,Karen> To Karen: You have inspired me to once again try to> grow my hair long. Your article on Long hair on women> over 40 (which seems to be the cut-off age in most> people's minds) really helped.> My problem usually begins when my hair is about> halfway down my back, though I have ALWAYS wanted> waisted length hair. I just seem to get tired of> dealing with it, so I cut it and am sorry.> Hopefully, your article and the long hair sites you> have available will get me to my goal this time,> though I am well over 40.> Thanks for addressing this subject!
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:58am
Hi,I would love to hear what you think of Lanza Long Hair. Keep us posted.I love Chicago. So much to do there and it is truly a hair mecca. :-)I agree...mutual support is a great way to stay on the path to getting the results you want. I don't think anyone is too old to have long hair, if they want it long.Thanks for posting.Best wishes,Karen> Hi Karen! I am so glad there are other women out there> who are over 40 and want long hair. I am 49 and in the> process of growing my hair longer again. I have had> almost waist length hair, like you and got bored with> it and also listened to those people who think over 40> long hair is a no-no. I am now serious about having> nice long hair again. This board and a couple of> others has been a great support and inspiration and I> thank all of you for that. I have learned so much!> This past week I was in Chicago and was able to> purchase several products that have been discussed> here. I got Aveda and L'Anza long hair products and> also Artec Moisture Pac. I haven't tried the L'Anza> yet but will tomorrow. I am also doing jojoba oil> treatments and I sit and trim off individual split> ends while I watch tv at night. I used to do this in> college but had kind of forgotten about the technique.> I found a new beautician thru a recommendation from> another woman with long hair and have a 2 great trims.> I asked for a 1/2" trim and got it! I also went 3> months between trims and she said my hair was in good> shape. So thanks everybody!Good luck Suzanne and let's> all support each other in our quest for really long> beautiful hair no matter what our age.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Suzanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:59am
> How long is it right now?To Erika and Carolyn:I, too, am growing out a short cut. Mine is about 6" layers right now with 4 1/2" bangs. I think this is one of the hardest parts of growing your hair--dealing with trying to make it look nice (especially if you have to look professional) while it grows out.Headbands are a good look for getting hair off of the face. Also, slicking the hair behind the ears hides the fact that the sides are uneven. Try mousse or gels depending on your hair. The long hair sites mentioned in the long hair section of this site have a few tips that are useful.My hair is wavy, so it is not as hard for me to deal with after six months or so--I just hold the sides back with side combs and sometimes the bangs, too.I am SO glad that I'm not the only one doing this! I'm 45.
Suzanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:59am
> To Erika and Carolyn:> I, too, am growing out a short cut. Mine is about> 6" layers right now with 4 1/2" bangs. I> think this is one of the hardest parts of growing your> hair--dealing with trying to make it look nice> (especially if you have to look professional) while it> grows out.> Headbands are a good look for getting hair off of the> face. Also, slicking the hair behind the ears hides> the fact that the sides are uneven. Try mousse or gels> depending on your hair. The long hair sites mentioned> in the long hair section of this site have a few tips> that are useful.> My hair is wavy, so it is not as hard for me to deal> with after six months or so--I just hold the sides> back with side combs and sometimes the bangs, too.> I am SO glad that I'm not the only one doing this! I'm> 45.P.S.I saw a woman with beautiful gray hair done in a braid coil on top of her head, and I could tell that her hair had to be very long to be done that way. It was all I could do to not say "way to go!" to her! (I didn't because I was working at the time and she was a customer in the store where I work.) But she looked great!
Erika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:59am
Hi,You might want to see if your hair is long enough to put in a french braid. I'm not sure, but yours may be long enough for this if you use mouse and a nice conservative clip at teh end would make this style very businesslike. French braids are one of the things I used to hide my bangs when they were in the first stages of growing out a few years ago. Luckily, the rest of my hair was long enough that it braided very well and it hid the bangs (more or less, once they got to my chin and they would stay behind my ears. Also, I had the advantage of not having to look professional (I'm only 18 now.) I also agree with Suzanne that a headband is a great idea. I used one too. Best of luck to you both.Erika> To Erika and Carolyn:> I, too, am growing out a short cut. Mine is about> 6" layers right now with 4 1/2" bangs. I> think this is one of the hardest parts of growing your> hair--dealing with trying to make it look nice> (especially if you have to look professional) while it> grows out.> Headbands are a good look for getting hair off of the> face. Also, slicking the hair behind the ears hides> the fact that the sides are uneven. Try mousse or gels> depending on your hair. The long hair sites mentioned> in the long hair section of this site have a few tips> that are useful.> My hair is wavy, so it is not as hard for me to deal> with after six months or so--I just hold the sides> back with side combs and sometimes the bangs, too.> I am SO glad that I'm not the only one doing this! I'm> 45.
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:00am
Headbands are a great accessory. I use different barrettes and pins to hold my layered sides back . It kind of gives the impression that my hair is more all one length. The behind the ears thing works good too. I lightly tease the crown and tuck the sides behind my ears. A little hair spray helps too. It's kind of a sixties look but I like that. Isn't it great to see a woman who is over the age of 35 who wears her hair long and looks great? It feels so great now that my hair is getting longer again. It makes me mad at myself for cutting it at all and glad that I didn't cut it really short like I was tempted to. Geeze what was I thinking? I just keep telling myself to hang in there and by next summer I will have nice long hair again. This website is so great for encouragement and support.
Carolyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:08am
> How long is it right now?It's only about 4 - 5 inches long all over my head. My bangs fall in my eyes, the waves stick out all over, I have a long fringe in the back that probably should be cut off but I am afraid to go in a salon...I really want my long hair back, but I don't look very professional right now!
Carolyn M. Bender
Carolyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:08am
Thank you everyone for support and advice. It's nice to know I am not in this alone. I was really tempted today to just give in and get it cut, but now I have avoided temptation and I'll tough it out. Not enough to braid back yet, but I'll go pick up a couple of pretty headbands and decorative pins. Hopefully that will help!
Carolyn M. Bender
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic