Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSHOULD I CUT IT SHORT?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim Swett View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Swett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHOULD I CUT IT SHORT?!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:16am
I am not sure about my face shape. I get several diferent answers from the hair stylists. I have a short forehead with a full face. I guess it is more rounded than any other shape. Do you have any suggestions on the kind of hair styles that I could wear?Thanks,Kim
cindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:14am
> I am desparate for hairstyle advice. I'm in my 20s and> I> have an oval face, maybe a tad long, I'm not sure. My> hair> is blunt cut to my shoulders and it is thick, wavy and> heavy. I don't look good with bangs straight across my> forehead and it's too thick for a short blunt cut. I> want> a manageable, low-maintenance 'do that will look good.> I've> never had short hair before and think it would be fun> to do> something really different, but on the other hand, I'm> scared too. I wouldn't even have the first clue on> what kind of short hair to choose: pixie, bob (BTW> does a bob always have to be buzzed in the back?),> pageboy, etc, etc. I am also interested in medium> length cuts but nothing past my shoulders. Should I go> for any bangs, layers, closely cropped or just remain> the same? I want to know more about what a bob> actually entails; is it blunt (my hair's too thick)> are there bangs involved? I'm going to get a haircut> in a week or so and I'm afraid I'll chicken out and> get the same ol' blunt cut. PLease HELP!If you have any doubt whatsover about cutting your hair short, then you should not do it. If you do, your doubt could turn into regret later on. I used to have bra-length hair, but earlier this year I decided to cut it short. Now I want my long hair back. I wish that I had paid attention to my doubts, because now here I am trying to grow it back out again.
HateMyhair View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HateMyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:11am
> Personally I love bobs. I think that they are a> beautiful style and very versatile. You can have bangs> or not, leave your hair down or pull it back in> barrettes or hairbands, you can part it on the left,> the right, or in the middle. And bobs have wonderful> movement. I had my hair cut into a bob just below my> ears with bangs and I loved it. I had to cut it> because friends and family presured me saying that it> was too long and girly. I'm a guy by the way. I would> suggest the bob to most girls and guys. I just wish> that people would realize that a guy with soft, shiny,> healthy hair cut in a bob and bangs is acceptable.Well, you people are making me lean toward the chin-length bob. Forgive me for asking so many questions, but if I got a bob to my chin, would it be all on length? Everyone is saying that the bob can work for thick hair, I'm just afraid that it'll stick out funny when people look at me sideways. Any suggestions on thinning/lightening the weight? Also, bangs across my forehead have never worked for me, but I have liked having bangs and then parting my hair on the side along with the bangs. Would that work with a bob? What kind of styling products would I use with this bob? BTW, when I do ultimately make up my mind, I'll report what I did. I just hope I can report on a fresh, new style and not be a coward and look the same.
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:11am
> Well I don't like to fuss, but what kind of short> style did you have? I'm interested in a pixie, bob, or> something else similar. Since I've never had my hair> short, I'm clueless about the subject.Personally I found that when I cut my thick hair, a bob was easier to manage than a much shorter style I have also had. A very short style is OK if you don't mind frequent trips to the hairdresser, because with thick hair you just have to do that, otherwise (with me anyway) it soons starts to look like a mushroom.I would go for the bob initially. It is great for thick hair, looks good on an oval face and can quickly be grown out if you yearn for long hair again.
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:11am
Personally I love bobs. I think that they are a beautiful style and very versatile. You can have bangs or not, leave your hair down or pull it back in barrettes or hairbands, you can part it on the left, the right, or in the middle. And bobs have wonderful movement. I had my hair cut into a bob just below my ears with bangs and I loved it. I had to cut it because friends and family presured me saying that it was too long and girly. I'm a guy by the way. I would suggest the bob to most girls and guys. I just wish that people would realize that a guy with soft, shiny, healthy hair cut in a bob and bangs is acceptable.> A bob is a less drastic change . . . it leaves you in> great position to grow it out when you're ready. I> think bobs look good on a variety of face shapes,> depending on the length and shape of bangs or no bangs> at all.> A pixie would be less bothersome (in terms of hanging> in your face) and call for less day-to-day> maintenance. However, it would also call for more> frequent hair appointments to keep it. Pixies are> great if you're ready for a huge change. Their best> worn on women with oval faces, delicate features, and> ears that don't stick out alot. When it all comes> together like that, pixies can be real headturners.> I hope this helps.
Jamie :)
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:11am
A bob is a less drastic change . . . it leaves you in great position to grow it out when you're ready. I think bobs look good on a variety of face shapes, depending on the length and shape of bangs or no bangs at all.A pixie would be less bothersome (in terms of hanging in your face) and call for less day-to-day maintenance. However, it would also call for more frequent hair appointments to keep it. Pixies are great if you're ready for a huge change. Their best worn on women with oval faces, delicate features, and ears that don't stick out alot. When it all comes together like that, pixies can be real headturners.I hope this helps.
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:11am
I just thought it was humorous that, regardless of the situation, Gord always seems to go for longer hair. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing a post from him to the contrary.I didn't mean to put words in his mouth, I was simply anticipating (with humor) his response before he joined the thread.I guess it didn't read as funny as it seemed to be when I wrote it.Dave, your point is well made: Gord, I'm sorry.Have a good day, all!
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HateMyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:10am
> yes, I agree with you, Laurie (it's only hair). We can> get obsessed here! (Me too).> The only thing I want to add (I also have oval face> and thick, heavy, coarse hair), is that every time I> had my hair cut short, I always had to spend a lot> more time fussing with it (because it is so thick and> heavy). Longer layers seem the best thing for my hair> so that I don't even have to think about it. I just> comb it once a day and that's about it.> So - it also depends if you like to fuss -- or forget!Well I don't like to fuss, but what kind of short style did you have? I'm interested in a pixie, bob, or something else similar. Since I've never had my hair short, I'm clueless about the subject.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:10am
> You'll probably get a response from a guy named> "Gord," who thinks that all women should> have long hair. Of course, he's entitled to his> opinion.And he's also entitled to a basic amount of respect which says that his opinion to HateMyhair's original question shall not be presumed unless or until he speaks up.Just a friendly suggestion to be wary of putting words into others' mouths which they have not spoken.Dave
David M Squires
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:10am
> You'll probably get a response from a guy named> "Gord," who thinks that all women should> have long hair. Of course, he's entitled to his> opinion. (How boring would it be if all women had long> hair and all men had short hair? Yuk!)> Remember, change is the spice of life. Long hair made> me wish for short hair. Short hair makes me look> forward to growing it out. I would never have known> how I felt (or how my husband felt) about different> hair lengths on me until I tried them. I've had a> blast with all my styles, from bra-length to boy> short! My husband has enjoyed my changes, also.> Whatever you decide . . . have fun with it. It's only> hair.yes, I agree with you, Laurie (it's only hair). We can get obsessed here! (Me too).The only thing I want to add (I also have oval face and thick, heavy, coarse hair), is that every time I had my hair cut short, I always had to spend a lot more time fussing with it (because it is so thick and heavy). Longer layers seem the best thing for my hair so that I don't even have to think about it. I just comb it once a day and that's about it.So - it also depends if you like to fuss -- or forget!
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HateMyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:10am
> I am desparate for hairstyle advice. I'm in my 20s and> I> have an oval face, maybe a tad long, I'm not sure. My> hair> is blunt cut to my shoulders and it is thick, wavy and> heavy. I don't look good with bangs straight across my> forehead and it's too thick for a short blunt cut. I> want> a manageable, low-maintenance 'do that will look good.> I've> never had short hair before and think it would be fun> to do> something really different, but on the other hand, I'm> scared too. I wouldn't even have the first clue on> what kind of short hair to choose: pixie, bob (BTW> does a bob always have to be buzzed in the back?),> pageboy, etc, etc. I am also interested in medium> length cuts but nothing past my shoulders. Should I go> for any bangs, layers, closely cropped or just remain> the same? I want to know more about what a bob> actually entails; is it blunt (my hair's too thick)> are there bangs involved? I'm going to get a haircut> in a week or so and I'm afraid I'll chicken out and> get the same ol' blunt cut. PLease HELP!A lot of people are advising me to get it cut to my chin. The bob intrigues me but I don't want pyramid hair. How exactly is a bob cut?
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:10am
You'll probably get a response from a guy named "Gord," who thinks that all women should have long hair. Of course, he's entitled to his opinion. (How boring would it be if all women had long hair and all men had short hair? Yuk!)Remember, change is the spice of life. Long hair made me wish for short hair. Short hair makes me look forward to growing it out. I would never have known how I felt (or how my husband felt) about different hair lengths on me until I tried them. I've had a blast with all my styles, from bra-length to boy short! My husband has enjoyed my changes, also.Whatever you decide . . . have fun with it. It's only hair.
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:10am
You're lucky! With an oval face you would look great with any cut! As you may be able to tell from my previous posts, I like to change my style often.Here's an idea: why don't you get a chin-length bob, then proceed with gradual shorter cuts each time you visit the salon. That way, you're not shocked by a sudden change and you don't have too far to grow out if you should decide you liked it longer.Personally, I love my short hair! I think a young person should get a chin-length bob or an ultra "boy short" haircut (think Halle Berry or Winona Ryder). The lengths between those styles look less "cutting edge." I think young people carry-off the "cutting edge" styles best. The in-between styles can age a young person. My husband calls the lengths between bob and "boy short" styles "Mommy short." It's not a slam to mothers, it's just a reference to those semi-short (think Ms. Jayne on the Beverly hillbillies) hairdos worn by our mothers when we were growing up.I hope this helps your decide the fate of your 'do. Please report back on what you decide and how it comes out. You may E-mail me if you wish (lauriesk@hotmail.com).
Unregistered
Unregistered
I am desparate for hairstyle advice. I'm in my 20s and Ihave an oval face, maybe a tad long, I'm not sure. My hairis blunt cut to my shoulders and it is thick, wavy and heavy. I don't look good with bangs straight across myforehead and it's too thick for a short blunt cut. I wanta manageable, low-maintenance 'do that will look good. I'venever had short hair before and think it would be fun to dosomething really different, but on the other hand, I'm scared too. I wouldn't even have the first clue on what kind of short hair to choose: pixie, bob (BTW does a bob always have to be buzzed in the back?), pageboy, etc, etc. I am also interested in medium length cuts but nothing past my shoulders. Should I go for any bangs, layers, closely cropped or just remain the same? I want to know more about what a bob actually entails; is it blunt (my hair's too thick) are there bangs involved? I'm going to get a haircut in a week or so and I'm afraid I'll chicken out and get the same ol' blunt cut. PLease HELP!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic