Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI will never come back to this board again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JS View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I will never come back to this board again!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:24am
I posted a message asking for help and didn't get one response. (See October 23 post: Can I perm? Please help)I hate to be sarcastic, but I am glad there are so many "helpful" people on this board. I had a legitimate question and asked for help, yet I only had one person view my post. I see other posters that get plenty of responses just for posting an opinion, yet no one would help me with a major decision such as to perm or not? Or if it would be a good idea with my long hair? I just wanted to let you posters be aware of this situation so that maybe the next person needing help will find it. (although I certainly won't be back)
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:24am
Dear JS,First of all, please don't leave. We'd like you to stay. I'm really sorry nobody responded to your post. Usually people are very good at responding to requests to help. I do not know why people didn't respond to your post. Please come back and give us another chance?As for perming long hair, I think if your hair is long and not that thin that perming adds body. Usually perms on thin hair last a long time. However when your hair is ultra thick like mine, perms don't last too long and can add too much body. When I was a sophomore in college and had dumped two cans of sun-in on my hair I still wanted a perm even though my hair is very thick. I ended up getting one. What a big mistake! The perm and sun-in damaged my hair and it made my hair look much too big for my head. Everyone started calling me Chaka Kahn. Also, it took forever for it to grow out and I couldn't wait to have my normal hair back. Since then, which was fourteen years ago, I haven't gotten any perms since. Everyone though has to make this kind of decision for themself though and what might be right for me might not be right for you.Can you tell us what kind of hair you have so we can advice you better? I really hope you will return and give us another chance!!*Hugs*MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:24am
Calm down. Maybe no one has an answer for you. We're not experts, you know. Try looking through the message board archives. Maybe you will find an answer to a question similar to yours that has already been posted.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:24am
Dear JS,I am sorry you are so unhappy about this board. I can certainly understand your feelings but I think it would help you if I clarify a few things about Hair Talk.First of all....there is absolutely no guarantee that a post on this board will get a reply. As a matter of fact, there is no guarantee that a post on ANY messageboard will ever get a response. I have seen lots of boards with message postings that go unanswered forever. So this situation is not unique to Hair Talk.Why would a post go unanswered? Probably because the majority of the people, me included, who visit Hair Talk are all consumers and are sharing, for the most part, their own personal experiences.This is both a blessing and a curse on Hair Talk. A blessing because you are getting true experiences from real people (not salon or beauty industry hype) and not a lot of PR. The curse is that not everyone will have experienced a particular event and may not be able to comment.The Hair Talker's personal experiences may or may not include what you are posting about. Therefore I know for a fact that many people will not answer rather than provide wrong information. No one ever wants to look foolish or uninformed.I am the same way.I prefer to provide no information rather than to mislead people. Unfortunately this is a Catch 22 that I have personally experienced with the AskKaren emails that I receive.I will, on an average, receive upwards of 100 emails a day asking me all sorts of hair questions.When I don't know an answer and can't get an expert to help me find the answer, I will email that I just don't know. People get very upset when I say I don't know. They take it personally like I don't like them or their question. This is not the case, I just have situations where I really can't find the answer.I think the same is true here on this board. A lot of people do the very best that they can, but they can't comment on questions that they may not know the answer to.If you are looking for guaranteed answers, you are right, this is not the board to come to.However, we have thousands of archives on just about every imaginable hair topic including perms. We also have lots of people at Hair Talk who care very much and try to help the best that they can.The lack of an answer to a post is not personal. It just means that people just don't know what to say.It may also mean that people don't want to look foolish. I get lots of email from people telling me that they want to post on the boards but don't want to look stupid.If you don't want to visit Hair Talk again that is your decision and I certainly understand, but I think to react as strongly as you did indicates you may not understand the nature of the board.If you hang around for awhile you will discover that there are a large number of very helpful and caring people that make Hair Talk one of the best hair messageboards on the Net. At least in my humble opinion.By the way...thanks everyone who posts at Hair Talk...I appreciate you. :-)Best wishes,Karen> I posted a message asking for help and didn't get one> response. (See October 23 post: Can I perm? Please> help)> I hate to be sarcastic, but I am glad there are so> many "helpful" people on this board. I had a> legitimate question and asked for help, yet I only had> one person view my post. I see other posters that get> plenty of responses just for posting an opinion, yet> no one would help me with a major decision such as to> perm or not? Or if it would be a good idea with my> long hair? I just wanted to let you posters be aware> of this situation so that maybe the next person> needing help will find it. (although I certainly won't> be back)
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Micaela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:24am
I noticed your post back on October 23rd but I also noticed that you did not include an email address. Often I am very suspicious of posts that do not include an email because it can be a troll. I think a lot of people may have thought the same. Why don't you post your email and see if you do better next time?> Dear JS,> I am sorry you are so unhappy about this board. I can> certainly understand your feelings but I think it> would help you if I clarify a few things about Hair> Talk.> First of all....there is absolutely no guarantee that> a post on this board will get a reply. As a matter of> fact, there is no guarantee that a post on ANY> messageboard will ever get a response. I have seen> lots of boards with message postings that go> unanswered forever. So this situation is not unique to> Hair Talk.> Why would a post go unanswered? Probably because the> majority of the people, me included, who visit Hair> Talk are all consumers and are sharing, for the most> part, their own personal experiences.> This is both a blessing and a curse on Hair Talk. A> blessing because you are getting true experiences from> real people (not salon or beauty industry hype) and> not a lot of PR. The curse is that not everyone will> have experienced a particular event and may not be> able to comment.> The Hair Talker's personal experiences may or may not> include what you are posting about. Therefore I know> for a fact that many people will not answer rather> than provide wrong information. No one ever wants to> look foolish or uninformed.> I am the same way.> I prefer to provide no information rather than to> mislead people. Unfortunately this is a Catch 22 that> I have personally experienced with the AskKaren emails> that I receive.> I will, on an average, receive upwards of 100 emails a> day asking me all sorts of hair questions.> When I don't know an answer and can't get an expert to> help me find the answer, I will email that I just> don't know. People get very upset when I say I don't> know. They take it personally like I don't like them> or their question. This is not the case, I just have> situations where I really can't find the answer.> I think the same is true here on this board. A lot of> people do the very best that they can, but they can't> comment on questions that they may not know the answer> to.> If you are looking for guaranteed answers, you are> right, this is not the board to come to.> However, we have thousands of archives on just about> every imaginable hair topic including perms. We also> have lots of people at Hair Talk who care very much> and try to help the best that they can.> The lack of an answer to a post is not personal. It> just means that people just don't know what to say.> It may also mean that people don't want to look> foolish. I get lots of email from people telling me> that they want to post on the boards but don't want to> look stupid.> If you don't want to visit Hair Talk again that is> your decision and I certainly understand, but I think> to react as strongly as you did indicates you may not> understand the nature of the board.> If you hang around for awhile you will discover that> there are a large number of very helpful and caring> people that make Hair Talk one of the best hair> messageboards on the Net. At least in my humble> opinion.> By the way...thanks everyone who posts at Hair> Talk...I appreciate you. :-)> Best wishes,> Karen
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:25am
> Dear JS,> First of all, please don't leave. We'd like you to> stay. I'm really sorry nobody responded to your post.> Usually people are very good at responding to requests> to help. I do not know why people didn't respond to> your post. Please come back and give us another> chance?> As for perming long hair, I think if your hair is long> and not that thin that perming adds body. Usually> perms on thin hair last a long time. However when your> hair is ultra thick like mine, perms don't last too> long and can add too much body. When I was a sophomore> in college and had dumped two cans of sun-in on my> hair I still wanted a perm even though my hair is very> thick. I ended up getting one. What a big mistake! The> perm and sun-in damaged my hair and it made my hair> look much too big for my head. Everyone started> calling me Chaka Kahn. Also, it took forever for it to> grow out and I couldn't wait to have my normal hair> back. Since then, which was fourteen years ago, I> haven't gotten any perms since. Everyone though has to> make this kind of decision for themself though and> what might be right for me might not be right for you.> Can you tell us what kind of hair you have so we can> advice you better? I really hope you will return and> give us another chance!!> *Hugs*> MariaYou're all so nice. I support Karen totally and all the other nice people who are so helpful on this board. Tough if you don't get a reply. I think it's pretty childish to be so petulant....
***** View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ***** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:25am
When it's something SUPER important to you, e-mail Karen in her "Ask Karen" section of this site and in the Subject line put URGENT and anything else you want to add to that.This way here you are directing your question to the hair professional of this site and have a better chance of getting professional advice for your problem than at this message board where most of us here are non-professionals looking for tips, etc., just like you are. Just remember what Karen told you though; she does get 100's of e-mail's per day, so it still may take a while to get an answer.Good luck to you!!!
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:25am
Personally, I appreciate the fact that people who do not have an answer are reluctant to post. Perms can be pretty serious in terms of potential damage to your hair. I saw your initial post, but I don't know that much about perms. That is one area that's best left to professionals.Another thing . . . some people who post here may only check the board once every 7-10 days. It could be that those who could best answer your question were not available to do so during the last few days.I hope this helps!Laurie
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:26am
i reply to everyone i possibly can, but always avoid replying to someone to whom i really can not offer insight or an intelligent answer.even though i reply to dozens and dozens of messages, i have posted before and have received no reply. but i respect that i might be asking a question that people simply dont know how to respond to. i hope you will reconsider that people are not so much unkind as they are hesitant to give out nad or misinformation.:) Silvie
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:26am
> I posted a message asking for help and didn't get one> response. (See October 23 post: Can I perm? Please> help)> I hate to be sarcastic, but I am glad there are so> many "helpful" people on this board. I had a> legitimate question and asked for help, yet I only had> one person view my post. I see other posters that get> plenty of responses just for posting an opinion, yet> no one would help me with a major decision such as to> perm or not? Or if it would be a good idea with my> long hair? I just wanted to let you posters be aware> of this situation so that maybe the next person> needing help will find it. (although I certainly won't> be back)To JS (If you do come back!)Dear JS,I think that you are being a little harsh in your judgement of the people, of the Hair Boutique Board.Pros and novices alike, I think that you will not find a finer group of people to discuss hair with. Many pro stylists contribute to this board, myself included. We do this as a 'labor of love' so to speak, to help others with their hair problems. Not once have I posted an advertisement or tried to boost my business through unfair use of this board, nor have I seen any attempts to speak of since I have been reading the board. I should think that this speaks well of the contributors as a whole as to what they 'give freely of their time'.I read many posts that I don't answer and I do not read all of them as I simply do not have enough time in my busy schedule to read/answer them all. I do however try to answer those that have a specific/special circumstance surrounding a special need if I have the time. I certainly don't think that I have the only answers to peoples questions and that others inputs are invaluable. I personally have been on a short vacation and my wife almost killed me when I mentioned computers and such while I was on vacation! So in the interest of self preservation I escaped to the mountains for a little R&R, or I probably would have answered it myself.Since your not reading this I have not included an answer.However, if you so desired one, at this stage of conversation, if you think hard and long, I promise you an explanation that 'will curl your hair', at least as long as the apology that I think is due to all involved from you.Hoping to HelpWilliam
Vivian View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
JS-I agree with the other message below, since I had posted a message awhile back and did not get an answer either. I then did a search and actually found my answer in a previous post. I think this is a great board. Everyone is so nice and nobody ever gets rude or flames others. I cannot say that about a lot of other boards I have read. You shouldn't be so hasty.Calm down. Maybe no one has an answer for you. We're> not experts, you know. Try looking through the message> board archives. Maybe you will find an answer to a> question similar to yours that has already been> posted.
Cherie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:30am
Well, looks like you got your attention. Bravo to all who replied, although many were more gracious than I could have been. Therefore, I take my leave before foot enters mouth.
stella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:31am
> I posted a message asking for help and didn't get one> response. (See October 23 post: Can I perm? Please> help)> I hate to be sarcastic, but I am glad there are so> many "helpful" people on this board. I had a> legitimate question and asked for help, yet I only had> one person view my post. I see other posters that get> plenty of responses just for posting an opinion, yet> no one would help me with a major decision such as to> perm or not? Or if it would be a good idea with my> long hair? I just wanted to let you posters be aware> of this situation so that maybe the next person> needing help will find it. (although I certainly won't> be back)I guess there is alot to say the sqeeky wheel always gets oiled. We are lucky to have such a great forum. Count your blessings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic