Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp!!!! Need to stop breakage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Susan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!!!! Need to stop breakage
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
Bleaching and toning has left my long hair (4" above waist)breaking off - I use Redken PPT Treatment and alternate between a moisturizing and reconstructor deep treatment once a week. I shampoo, condition, and blow dry straight 2-3 times a week. Is there any other products I could use that will aid in reducing breakage?PLEASE HELP - I'M DESPERATE - AND DO NOT WANT TO CUT MY HAIR I'VE SPENT YEARS GROWING!!!!!!!!11
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
Are you kidding? Get rid of the blow dryer! Blowing your hair straight is extremely damaging.I'd also consider going back to your original color, since a double process on long hair is asking for trouble.I'd deep-condition twice a week or more, and probably even sleep with it in. Are you using heat to help the conditioner along?Ally
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
> Bleaching and toning has left my long hair (4"> above waist)> breaking off - I use Redken PPT Treatment and> alternate between a moisturizing and reconstructor> deep treatment once a week. I shampoo, condition, and> blow dry straight 2-3 times a week. Is there any other> products I could use that will aid in reducing> breakage?> PLEASE HELP - I'M DESPERATE - AND DO NOT WANT TO CUT> MY HAIR I'VE SPENT YEARS GROWING!!!!!!!!11you could look for product called shine it works wonders
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
hithe other suggestions given here that you cut back on the blowdrying and coloring are excellent. these processes are vbery hard on your hair.in the meantime, please try a product called Nexxus Emergencee. this stuff is expensive, but it works like no other I've seen. it truly bonds to the hair and increases the strength. when i had a breakage problem, this is what stopped it.use the nexxus emergencee on damp, clean hair. after applying to all hair, put on a plastic cap. ideally, use heat and leave on at least 30 minutes. after rinsing it out, follow this up with a deep moistuizer like Artec moisture pak or Joico K-Pak mixed with some wheat germ oil. For this, also use a plactic cap, heat and a minimum of 30 minutes. This will help to improve the moisture balance of your hair.Follow this routine at least once a week, and as often as every other day until your hair improves.:) silvie
Susan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
> Are you kidding? Get rid of the blow dryer! Blowing> your hair straight is extremely damaging.> I'd also consider going back to your original color,> since a double process on long hair is asking for> trouble.> I'd deep-condition twice a week or more, and probably> even sleep with it in. Are you using heat to help the> conditioner along?> Ally
Susan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
Ally -Yes, I use a heating cap with conditioner(s). When I blow dry - I use the warm and cool settings. This is the only way my frizzy/kinky curly hair looks acceptable for business attire.
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:27am
Hi!Where do you get wheat germ oil? I tried WalMart, GNC, Shop-Ko and a big supermartket. No one had it. Is it a food oil like olive oil or is it a health food/vitamin thing like vitamin E and cod liver oil? I have the Artec Moisture Pac and I saw Joico K-Pak at a salon but was not able to find the Nexxus Emergencee. I just tried at one Regis salon so maybe I will find it if I look elsewhere. Is it worth ordering? I think I need all the help I can get in strengthening my hair. I don't have a lot of breakage but I think my ends are kind of delicate due to coloring and heat styling. I am cutting back on the heat styling and am getting my color done in a salon instead of at home so I am hoping that will help. I want to keep my shorter layers as healthy as possible as they are growing out. I am very impatient for them to get down to the rest of my hair. It would take 4" to get my hair all one length and I am too chicken to get that much chopped off. I am really loving my longer hair and I want to keep it in the best condition that I can. thanks,Carolyn B
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:28am
hellowheat germ oil i have been able to get at larger organic grocers, like Whole Foods, as well as at some smaller health food stores that stock a lot of oils. wheat germ oil is generally produced so that it is of an edible grade, but you wont need something that pure to use on your hair, if they offer different varieties or purity. i find Nexxus Emergencee at many, many stores here in NYC, but it may be harder to find elsewhere. It is not a conmmonly used product, because it really is only for emergency (hence the name) situations, where the hair is falling apart/breaking. I do recommend you try ordering a small bottle of it to give it a try. I think you'll find it does what it claims to.:) silvie
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:28am
Hi Silvie!Thanks for the info. I live near a VERy small town of 800 people so you can see why I have trouble finding new products. I live a little over an hour from the nearest larger town where there is a mall and abigger variety of stores. There is a Walmart about 15 minutes away but you can imagine that they don't have any of the salon products. I will check and see if I can find the Nexxus in a couple of weeks when I go to Sioux City. I will call the little health food store near here and see if they can get me the wheat germ oil. I don't think we have Whole Foods in Iowa. If someone knows of a place like that please let me know. We go to Des Moines and Omaha sometimes. Also I will be in southern Michigan at Christmas time. Maybe there might be one there. Thanks. This morning I am trying a hot oil treatment followed by Moisture Pac. ThanksCarolyn B
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:28am
> Hi!> Where do you get wheat germ oil? I tried WalMart, GNC,> Shop-Ko and a big supermartket. No one had it. Is it a> food oil like olive oil or is it a health food/vitamin> thing like vitamin E and cod liver oil? I have the> Artec Moisture Pac and I saw Joico K-Pak at a salon> but was not able to find the Nexxus Emergencee. I just> tried at one Regis salon so maybe I will find it if I> look elsewhere. Is it worth ordering? I think I need> all the help I can get in strengthening my hair. I> don't have a lot of breakage but I think my ends are> kind of delicate due to coloring and heat styling. I> am cutting back on the heat styling and am getting my> color done in a salon instead of at home so I am> hoping that will help. I want to keep my shorter> layers as healthy as possible as they are growing out.> I am very impatient for them to get down to the rest> of my hair. It would take 4" to get my hair all> one length and I am too chicken to get that much> chopped off. I am really loving my longer hair and I> want to keep it in the best condition that I can.> thanks,> Carolyn BI would go to a salon that carries Redken Cat.They have a 15 min. treatment that repairs hair.
Lynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:31am
Hey, Carolyn!I work in Sioux City, and i'm going to be stopping at the mall tomorrow to try to find the Nexxus Emergencee. When i find it, I'll let you know exactly where I got it.
Lynn G
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic