Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp! I don't want a haircut!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! I don't want a haircut!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:29am
I am a guy with healthy hair that I think looks better long. I want to let my hair grow out. My hair really looks like crap short. My wife keeps teeling me to get a haircut because it is tool long and girlish. What can I do to convince her or at least show her that my hair looks better longer? She has told me to get a haircut in the next couple of weeks before the holidays but I really don't want to. Any suggestions/advice?
Jamie :)
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:30am
> I am a guy with healthy hair that I think looks better> long. I want to let my hair grow out. My hair really> looks like crap short. My wife keeps teeling me to get> a haircut because it is tool long and girlish. What> can I do to convince her or at least show her that my> hair looks better longer? She has told me to get a> haircut in the next couple of weeks before the> holidays but I really don't want to. Any> suggestions/advice?First off, I'd discuss this with your wife....why does she feel this way? I mean, well, I personally think men look freakish and shorn with short hair, but that's just me....maybe your wife has something against long haired men.Is she pushing for a haircut now because of the approaching holidays (her family will disapprove of her long haired husband/it'll mess up the family Christmas picture...sort of thing)? If so, would it be as big a deal in say a month or so once the holiday silliness subsides? If not maybe you can strike a compromise.Is she worried that this will somehow mess up your economic potential ("No one's gonna hire a long haired freak!"). If so please assure her that it is possible to find/retain work and look 'professional' with long hair (my own husband has hair halfway down his back and he's an elementary school teacher!)Second, try to find a picture of a man with the length and style of hair you hope to achieve. Check out the Long hair Men's Site for picture ideas:http://the-light.com/mens/longhair.htmlUltimately, it's your hair and you can do as you will with it....but you have to live with your wife, so you're going to have to work it out with her. You might want to check out the bulletin board on the long haired men's site...I'm pretty sure this subject has probably been discussed there at some point.Good luck!
brenda
Nick View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:30am
Glad to hear about a teacher with long hair.I'm a teacher myself. I've been wanting long hair for a long time.How does he wear it for work? Does he have it cut in a style? Just curious.
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:30am
> Glad to hear about a teacher with long hair.> I'm a teacher myself. I've been wanting long hair for> a long time.> How does he wear it for work? Does he have it cut in a> style? Just curious.tell her if you get cut so does she
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:31am
> Glad to hear about a teacher with long hair.> I'm a teacher myself. I've been wanting long hair for> a long time.> How does he wear it for work? Does he have it cut in a> style? Just curious.He just pulls it back into a ponytail for work. He did have some shorter layers in the front for awhile but is growing them out now.
brenda
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:31am
I think that I look really freakish with short hair b/c I look like sergeant carter from gomer pyle. Also my hair is thick and very wavy so it really looks bad unless I blow it dry. If it is short and I blow it dry it is like a puff ball. I have discussed this with my wife and she seems to keep putting it off on what other people think (would think). She is very worried about this but I am really close to a bob now and nobody at my work has said anything. Also no one at my night classes had said anything either.Yes she is pushing for the haircut b/c of the holidays especially but she does other times as well. I have tried to find a picture of a guy with this style but I haven't yet seen a good one. It is ultimately my hair but I don't want to cause a huge fight over it everytime she asks me to get a haircut (stressful). I think that this bob would really look good on me and I wish that she would be able to get over worrying about what other people think.> First off, I'd discuss this with your wife....why does> she feel this way? I mean, well, I personally think> men look freakish and shorn with short hair, but> that's just me....maybe your wife has something> against long haired men.> Is she pushing for a haircut now because of the> approaching holidays (her family will disapprove of> her long haired husband/it'll mess up the family> Christmas picture...sort of thing)? If so, would it be> as big a deal in say a month or so once the holiday> silliness subsides? If not maybe you can strike a> compromise.> Is she worried that this will somehow mess up your> economic potential ("No one's gonna hire a long> haired freak!"). If so please assure her that it> is possible to find/retain work and look> 'professional' with long hair (my own husband has hair> halfway down his back and he's an elementary school> teacher!)> Second, try to find a picture of a man with the length> and style of hair you hope to achieve. Check out the> Long hair Men's Site for picture ideas:> http://the-light.com/mens/longhair.html> Ultimately, it's your hair and you can do as you will> with it....but you have to live with your wife, so> you're going to have to work it out with her. You> might want to check out the bulletin board on the long> haired men's site...I'm pretty sure this subject has> probably been discussed there at some point.> Good luck!
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:32am
Unfortunately, there are people who worry overmuch about what other people will think. I'm sure the wife of the guy who invented the wheel was hovering over him the whole time cackling about how the neighbors will think he's crazy for making that fool thing....never mind about Noah and the ark.Well, I'd say offer her a compromise....get the cut for the holidays, IF you can grow it out as of January 1 to the way you want it to be, then once it gets there and the world doesn't end and the neighbors don't start shunning her maybe it'll grow on her.Alternatively, you could just keep forgetting to go get it cut, and just tell her 'oh, honey I forgot to go to that appointment'...I mean, hey, husbands have been 'forgetting' to do things for centuries.In all seriousness (dusting off my shrink's hat, ok actually it's my bartender's hat, but it's the same thing), this sounds to me as though there's more going on here than a simple problem of the length of your hair. Usually people who are overly concerned about how they are perceived by others suffer from low self esteem in chronic proportions, and they get this notion that if they can just 'fit in' everyone will like them and the world will be a beautiful place. Anything that threatens that 'normalcy' will mess up that beautiful future and people will point at them and talk behind there hands when they walk down the street. Of course, there are people that actually would do this, but they've a totally differentlow self-esteem issue. They feel small, so they take pleasure in making other people feel smaller, this is quite often an issue with men who abuse women (but I digress). If your wife is at her core dealing with some self-esteem issues, try to build her up a bit, if she feels a little better about herself she won't worry so much about what other people think of her.Again, I wish you luck with your endeavors!
brenda
Gordon View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:32am
> I am a guy with healthy hair that I think looks better> long. I want to let my hair grow out. My hair really> looks like crap short. My wife keeps teeling me to get> a haircut because it is tool long and girlish. What> can I do to convince her or at least show her that my> hair looks better longer? She has told me to get a> haircut in the next couple of weeks before the> holidays but I really don't want to. Any> suggestions/advice?i think you should get cut and look like a man for the holidays.
Starla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:32am
> I am a guy with healthy hair that I think looks better> long. I want to let my hair grow out. My hair really> looks like crap short. My wife keeps teeling me to get> a haircut because it is tool long and girlish. What> can I do to convince her or at least show her that my> hair looks better longer? She has told me to get a> haircut in the next couple of weeks before the> holidays but I really don't want to. Any> suggestions/advice?You would look totally sexy with a hair cut as long as you go to a great hair stylist. Perhaps every hair cut you had just wasn't write for your face. I'm sure you'll find one.
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:33am
The haircut that I want is a bob just below the ears with bangs. I know that it would look good and even my stylist said that it would suit my hair, face and features. Do you like guys with bobs? The problem is that where I live I get a lot of flack and pressure because people around here see it as a girls only style no matter if it looks good or not.I would love to wear my bob if I didn't get so much pressure.> You would look totally sexy with a hair cut as long as> you go to a great hair stylist. Perhaps every hair cut> you had just wasn't write for your face. I'm sure> you'll find one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic