Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHair Coloring Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lori View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Coloring Question
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:37am
I would like to start using a haircolor at home. I have been highlighting my hair myself for a very long time. I called Clairol and they suggest using an ash color on my hair. My natural color is dark blonde. I don't want a gold tone. What is the difference between beige and ash? I am hoping my hair won't turn green or some strange color. She suggested a way to make my hair a dark blonde to light brown, but I don't want it that dark. That is when she suggested the Ash. Any Advice out there before I continue? Thanks in Advance.
Tiffany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:37am
> I would like to start using a haircolor at home. I> have been highlighting my hair myself for a very long> time. I called Clairol and they suggest using an ash> color on my hair. My natural color is dark blonde. I> don't want a gold tone. What is the difference between> beige and ash? I am hoping my hair won't turn green or> some strange color. She suggested a way to make my> hair a dark blonde to light brown, but I don't want it> that dark. That is when she suggested the Ash. Any> Advice out there before I continue? Thanks in Advance.I actually have a cousin who is a hair stylist, I usually dye my own hair at home. She had told me that the color of ash is a very dull, no shine look. I am going to dye my hair a golden strawberry blonde, my natural color is chestnut, ash brown very dull looking, this fall and winter golden highlights and colors are supposed to be the best colors to wear. I hope I was of some help. Good luck!
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:37am
I would also love an answer to this. My natural hair color is a light ash brown (6 1/2 A), or so I've been told. It's probably a shade darker than Lori's.If I highlight or color my hair, should I always stick with ash? For example, if I were to go blonde, which blonde would look the most flattering and natural?Why do ash colors always look darker than golden colors of the same level?I thought these undertones were based on warm and cool complexions, but my skin is yellow-based, and my eyes are golden brown. Help?AllyAlly
Lori View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:38am
Thanks for the help. I've read a couple of times that Ash is a dull color. I probably have gold in my hair, and I have a few strands of grey. Maybe I should go for a gold or beige tone instead of the ash. The ash looks pretty on the box, but you never know what color the model was in the first place, so it's very hard to determine from the pictures. I just don't want to get brassy looking. That's why I was moving away from a gold tone.
Brenda K View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenda K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:38am
> Thanks for the help. I've read a couple of times that> Ash is a dull color. I probably have gold in my hair,> and I have a few strands of grey. Maybe I should go> for a gold or beige tone instead of the ash. The ash> looks pretty on the box, but you never know what color> the model was in the first place, so it's very hard to> determine from the pictures. I just don't want to get> brassy looking. That's why I was moving away from a> gold tone.I'm a hairstylist and I was just checking out sites about hair and ran across this one. I found your question and I just want to give you all a little insite. Being a hairstylist i recommend you find a stylist you can trust to color you hair since they will know what they are doing. We have learned the differances of the various shades of color and know what type of hair to apply it to. Plus having a stylist do you hair you end up with better results from the color in general and the application.The reason ash or cool shades appear darker it because the absorb more light therfore appearing darker. Warmer tone reflect more lite. The dullness of the color it going to depend on you hair and how much natural shine you have not really the warm or cool of it.Most importantly never ever go based on the picture on the box 75% of the time the turn out completely different, because of the differance of your hair from the model on the box when the color was applied.Good luckBrenda
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:40am
> I'm a hairstylist and I was just checking out sites> about hair and ran across this one. I found your> question and I just want to give you all a little> insite. Being a hairstylist i recommend you find a> stylist you can trust to color you hair since they> will know what they are doing. We have learned the> differances of the various shades of color and know> what type of hair to apply it to. Plus having a> stylist do you hair you end up with better results> from the color in general and the application.> The reason ash or cool shades appear darker it because> the absorb more light therfore appearing darker.> Warmer tone reflect more lite. The dullness of the> color it going to depend on you hair and how much> natural shine you have not really the warm or cool of> it.> Most importantly never ever go based on the picture on> the box 75% of the time the turn out completely> different, because of the differance of your hair from> the model on the box when the color was applied.> Good luck> BrendaI totally agree! Doing certain things to your hair at home might be fun, but color is dangerous! As a colorist, it has taken me years of training and hands on exp. to figure it out. Doing a simple procedure is o.k.,but your talking about corrective color. As the saying goes, "Dont try this at home"Once major damage is done its hard to fix. Good luck.Maria in N.Y.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic