Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs This Mermaid Story Fishy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This Mermaid Story Fishy?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:41am
A couple of weeks ago in a New England novelty shop, I picked up a book of myths and legends. One story told how the mermaids would sit perched on the rocks, brushing their long hair 1,000 strokes day, making it lustrous and irresistible to sailors.I have a soft, natural-bristle brush, which I now use to gently brush my hair once a night (50 to 100 strokes). I concentrate on distributing the oils near my scalp to the ends of the hair. So far, the results are great: My hair really gleams. But I also remember reading that this practice will destroy your hair in the long run.Advice from long hair and former long hairs?Thanks!Ally
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:41am
Brushing hair is good for it, but I would think only in moderation. I can't imagine 1,000 strokes! I would think in time, it would weaken it. Does make for good fiction though!
Suzanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:44am
> A couple of weeks ago in a New England novelty shop, I> picked up a book of myths and legends. One story told> how the mermaids would sit perched on the rocks,> brushing their long hair 1,000 strokes day, making it> lustrous and irresistible to sailors.> I have a soft, natural-bristle brush, which I now use> to gently brush my hair once a night (50 to 100> strokes). I concentrate on distributing the oils near> my scalp to the ends of the hair. So far, the results> are great: My hair really gleams. But I also remember> reading that this practice will destroy your hair in> the long run.> Advice from long hair and former long hairs?> Thanks!> AllyIf you read the advice on the Long Hair Site it recommends brushing your hair as you are doing. Also look up the other long hair sites on the links here at Hair Boutique.Incidentally, I believe that was how women of old used to grow their hair so long and beautiful. They were trained to brush it 100 strokes a day. As long as you are using a good boar bristle brush, I don't see how it could hurt your hair.
Happyblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happyblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:45am
I was told by a stylist that people should NOT to do the 50-100 brushes a day. Just do some gentle brushing before shampooing. Guess you must experiment and decide what is best for yourself.Happyblonde
liane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:46am
Hi,Just wondering... do they mean to take a section of hair and brush each section with 100 strokes each? Or do they mean to brush the total overall hair with 100 strokes?> Incidentally, I believe that was how women of old used> to grow their hair so long and beautiful. They were> trained to brush it 100 strokes a day. As long as you> are using a good boar bristle brush, I don't see how> it could hurt your hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic