Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCitre Shine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citre Shine
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:44am
I've looked all night for a hair care site that I could post a question - thank goodness I've found this!!Please help. I have long hair, a drab brown, kind of frizzy - and I only air dry my hair. My cousin said that Citre Shine was a good product to make the hair shiny and control frizz.My question, is it safe to use on waist length hair?? I'd like to make my shinier and lose this friz.If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!!Thax,Heather
Heather
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:44am
> I've looked all night for a hair care site that I> could post a question - thank goodness I've found> this!!> Please help. I have long hair, a drab brown, kind of> frizzy - and I only air dry my hair. My cousin said> that Citre Shine was a good product to make the hair> shiny and control frizz.> My question, is it safe to use on waist length hair??> I'd like to make my shinier and lose this friz.> If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!!> Thax,> Heatheryes it is good to use on your hair with no problem.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:45am
The conditioners are great, but I personally would not use any of their shampoos that contain sodium lauryl sulfate because it is usually quite drying to the scalp.One of the very best shampoos I've found is L'Oreal's VitaVive Daily Care for Normal Hair, Multi-Vitamin Clear shampoo. It basically just *cleans* without adding any build-up at all and does not dry or otherwise harm hair. In fact, I often use this shampoo with the Citre Shine conditioner!Jena
heather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:45am
I regularly use olive oil treatments and massage my scalp, but my hair was still frizzy - even when air dried. Well, yesterday, I got some Citre Shine and used it after I washed and conditioned my hair - and my goodness, what a difference. My hair feels soft, is shinier, and absolutely NO FRIZZ!!!! It is a shine miracle and so much more!!!Thanks all!!
Heather
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:46am
> I regularly use olive oil treatments and massage my> scalp, but my hair was still frizzy - even when air> dried. Well, yesterday, I got some Citre Shine and> used it after I washed and conditioned my hair - and> my goodness, what a difference. My hair feels soft, is> shinier, and absolutely NO FRIZZ!!!! It is a shine> miracle and so much more!!!> Thanks all!!that's great heather glad it worked well
Happyblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happyblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:46am
What about silicones? Aren't they in this product? Look in the archives to see what problems they can cause-dryness, brittleness. Just thought you should know.Happyblonde
heather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:46am
> What about silicones? Aren't they in this product?> Look in the archives to see what problems they can> cause-dryness, brittleness. Just thought you should> know.> HappyblondeI'm reading the ingredients from my bottle: there is a cyclomethicone and a dimethicone, but no silicone. I assume silicone is related to these??My hair doesn't feel dry or brittle using the Citre Shine.My hair always feels great after shampoo and conditioning and I always hot olive oil my hair over night before shampooing. The problem was when my hair dried, it felt corse, rough, unmanageable, and frizzy on the ends. When I tried Citre Shine, it felt great and my natural blonde highlights sparkle, as does the rest of my hair!!!! Truly, my hair feels like silk. And I cannot tell you the last time it felt this good.I'll look in the archives now for the ingredients, but my experience has not been negative with it.Thanks alot for pointing that out!!
Heather
dani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:46am
Which specific product are you using? They make many, and some are great, and some are not-so-great, so it would be helpful if we all knew that we were discussing the same product!Jena> I'm reading the ingredients from my bottle: there is a> cyclomethicone and a dimethicone, but no silicone. I> assume silicone is related to these??> My hair doesn't feel dry or brittle using the Citre> Shine.> My hair always feels great after shampoo and> conditioning and I always hot olive oil my hair over> night before shampooing. The problem was when my hair> dried, it felt corse, rough, unmanageable, and frizzy> on the ends. When I tried Citre Shine, it felt great> and my natural blonde highlights sparkle, as does the> rest of my hair!!!! Truly, my hair feels like silk.> And I cannot tell you the last time it felt this good.> I'll look in the archives now for the ingredients, but> my experience has not been negative with it.> Thanks alot for pointing that out!!
dani
heather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:46am
> Which specific product are you using? They make many,> and some are great, and some are not-so-great, so it> would be helpful if we all knew that we were> discussing the same product!> JenaThe product I got was Citre Shine Volumizing Shine Miracle Hair Polisher, for normal to fine hair, the new weightless formula.
Heather
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:46am
> The product I got was Citre Shine Volumizing Shine> Miracle Hair Polisher, for normal to fine hair, the> new weightless formula.In case you're interested, this is what Paula Begoun's book (the brand-new revised version) says about it:(First of all, it has a smiley face by it which indicates it is recommended)"Citre Shine Volumizing Shine Miracle Hair Polisher for Normal to Fine Hair is a silicone gel with a light hold. It can be too heavy or easily build up for normal to fine hair, but it can be good for styling curly hair straight and smoothing frizzies when used minimally."And she also says,"Volumizing Shine Miracle Hair Polisher for Normal to Fine Hair is identical to the Miracle Volumizing version above and the exact same comments apply. It's just Citre Shine using the same formula with two different marketing angles."FWIW, you use the least expensive of the two! From what I've gathered from her books and other books on hair care is that the silicone used on the hair is not bad per se, if you use a clarifying shampoo at least every once in awhile to make sure the residue doesn't stay on the hair. Unfortunately, there are few shampoos available that are truly clarifying as they all like to add things or have ingredients that may be harmful to hair. Names seem to mean very little. It's the ingredients that make all the difference.With Paula Begoun's advice on make-up, hair, and skin care, I've never been disappointed, and she's always been right on the money for me, so I tend to trust her judgment!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happyblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Hi,Any ingredient name ending with "Cone" is a silicone product.I'm into Paula Begoun books, too. I've been readong them since 1995. I ususally agree with her judgement, but in the past year I have learned about silicones and a have learned more about shampoo ingredients.I thought that "Pantene" was great when I first started using that, but over time my hair became brittle in some areas from the silicones. I had first started using the product because Paula recommended the "Gold Top" version of Pantene shampoo more highly than the two-in-one shampoo that is more popular. I believe she said for both products that they contained "Ammonim Xylensulfonate" (not sure of the spelling) and she disapproved of that ingredient as very drying and is found in nail polish remover. The "Gold Cap" shampoo was supposed to have only a small amount of this ingrdient, so I chose that one. I also used the Pantene conditioners that are popular (they don't have a gold cap)so when I started having problems I blamed the ingredient she disapproved of. I still don't use products with that ingredient now, but I do think the main problem with that shampoo was the silicones. I don't know about the second edition of her "Don't Go Shopping For Haircare Products Without Me" but in the first she really didn't sound like silicones are too much of a problem if you only wash out the buildup, but I do think they are a problem and MIGHT need more than one shampooing of clarifying shampoo to get rid of the clinginess of that ingredient.Another disagreement with her opinion is that the ingredientfor shampoo "Ammoinium Lauryl Sulfate" and "Ammonium Laureth Sulfate" are considered gentle ingredients by her.I think it was on Mike Trobee's site that has a glossary of ingredients and I believe there are by chemists. The glossry defined these ingredients as harsh. I have found that when I use products with these ingredients, they make my hair feel dry. These ingredients were also in the Pantene products I used a couple of years ago (I know they had a reformulation, but I still wouldn't use the product as not too much is different with the ingredients). So that was not a terrific product to try although she gave Pantene a decent recommendation, though she recommened the gold cap shampoos as better thanthe popular two-in-ones.I agree with her ingredient choice of "Sodium Laureth Sulfate" as being gentle. The glossary on Mike Trobee's site says this is the most gentle detergent, so I only use products with that detergent. She makes a list of other drying ingredients although in the original edition sometimes you sort of had to look for them in different sections. I do think she really does have informative books, and she is quite dedicated to personally answering questions (she's wrote me personally) you write her at her website. I even know that she offered call a person once when they had a small problem with shipment of her cosmetics. I just thought I'd explain about my two disagreements with her opinions on silicones and shampoo ingredients. Sorry about the length but I felt I should explain in detail.Happyblonde

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happyblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
>I also used the Pantene conditioners> that are popular (they don't have a gold cap)....That's to say that I didn't usually use the "Pantene" conditioners with the gold cap packaging, although I did try them later and still they had the silicones so I cam't really recommend those conditioners. Paula said the the "Pro-V" conditioner for dry/damaged hair had more collagen, so that's why I chose that conditioner. This is the conditioner that is more popular and advertised on T.V.This product is silicone city!>I don't know about the second edition of her "Don't Go>Shopping For Haircare Products Without Me" but in the >first she really didn't sound like silicones are too much >of a problem if you only wash out the buildup, but I do>think they are a problem and MIGHT need more than one>shampooing of clarifying shampoo to get rid of the>clinginess of that ingredient.So, I wouldn't recommend drying your hair out further by repeated use of clarifying shampoos! Breakage might happen and contunued use of silicones can cause breakage, so I don't feel this is a useful ingredient-but there are some (a minority, from what I've seen on this board)of people who don't have a problem with silicone. Paula does explain though tha silicone is a type of plastic.Happyblonde
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic