Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThumbs down for Aubrey Organics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thumbs down for Aubrey Organics
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:47am
I've never used Aubrey Organics at all and hence have no opinions about the company. However, after reading many positive comments here,I was quite surprised at a review of them in Paula Begoun's book.I quote from her book, "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me," 2nd edition:"I am also skeptical that Aubrey is providing a complete ingredient listing. None of his ingredient labels include standard preservatives, which, given these formulations, means these products would run a high risk of contamination from mold and bacteria, and that would be exceedingly risky for the eyes and skin. His ingredient labels do list vitamins C, A, and E as the preservatives but these have their own stability problems and deteriorate quickly with exposure to air."She doesn't recommend any of his shampoos because of several drying ingredients and products that build up on the hair and can leave it dry and brittle.According to the book also, an item in 'The Rose Sheet' for March 15, 1999 said Aubrey Organics was "in violation of catalog mislabeling and Good Manufacturing Practices."Again, I have no experience with this company but thought I'd present this information to provide others with a balanced view.
I love Aubrey!!!! View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I love Aubrey!!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:47am
I love the Aubrey-Organics shampoos and conditioners!!My hair looks and feels great, and I have NEVER had these kinds of great results with any other product. EVER.Please visit their website at http://www.aubrey-organics.com to get their information.I've never used Aubrey Organics at all and hence have> no opinions about the company. However, after reading> many positive comments here,I was quite surprised at a> review of them in Paula Begoun's book.> I quote from her book, "Don't Go Shopping for> Hair Care Products Without Me," 2nd edition:> "I am also skeptical that Aubrey is providing a> complete ingredient listing. None of his ingredient> labels include standard preservatives, which, given> these formulations, means these products would run a> high risk of contamination from mold and bacteria, and> that would be exceedingly risky for the eyes and skin.> His ingredient labels do list vitamins C, A, and E as> the preservatives but these have their own stability> problems and deteriorate quickly with exposure to> air."> She doesn't recommend any of his shampoos because of> several drying ingredients and products that build up> on the hair and can leave it dry and brittle.> According to the book also, an item in 'The Rose> Sheet' for March 15, 1999 said Aubrey Organics was> "in violation of catalog mislabeling and Good> Manufacturing Practices."> Again, I have no experience with this company but> thought I'd present this information to provide others> with a balanced view.
Sherry LaBree View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry LaBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:47am
Hi there!A very generous friend let me try some of her Aubrey products. I used the Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and conditioner; and the J.A.Y Shampoo and Jojoba and Aloe Conditioner... Here are my results!BOTH shampoos dried out my hair something terrible!! I really had to LOAD on the conditioner to even get a pick through my hair. The conditioners were Ok, but felt a bit greasy. As for smell, the Honeysuckle Rose that I used smelled AWESOME! However, I heard they changed the formual and the last time I was in the Health Food Store, I did NOT like the new HR scent. As for the J.A.Y shampoo and Jajoba and Aloe Conditioner-- UGH, I couldn't STAND the smell! I am such a sucker for 'nice' fruity clean smelling products like ARTec and ISO... I just couldn't tolerate the Aubrey products all around :(... and I WANTED to like them, b/c others did, but they didn't work at all for me.Sherry> I've never used Aubrey Organics at all and hence have> no opinions about the company. However, after reading> many positive comments here,I was quite surprised at a> review of them in Paula Begoun's book.> I quote from her book, "Don't Go Shopping for> Hair Care Products Without Me," 2nd edition:> "I am also skeptical that Aubrey is providing a> complete ingredient listing. None of his ingredient> labels include standard preservatives, which, given> these formulations, means these products would run a> high risk of contamination from mold and bacteria, and> that would be exceedingly risky for the eyes and skin.> His ingredient labels do list vitamins C, A, and E as> the preservatives but these have their own stability> problems and deteriorate quickly with exposure to> air."> She doesn't recommend any of his shampoos because of> several drying ingredients and products that build up> on the hair and can leave it dry and brittle.> According to the book also, an item in 'The Rose> Sheet' for March 15, 1999 said Aubrey Organics was> "in violation of catalog mislabeling and Good> Manufacturing Practices."> Again, I have no experience with this company but> thought I'd present this information to provide others> with a balanced view.
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
> Hi there!> A very generous friend let me try some of her Aubrey> products. I used the Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and> conditioner; and the J.A.Y Shampoo and Jojoba and Aloe> Conditioner... Here are my results!> BOTH shampoos dried out my hair something terrible!! I> really had to LOAD on the conditioner to even get a> pick through my hair. The conditioners were Ok, but> felt a bit greasy. As for smell, the Honeysuckle Rose> that I used smelled AWESOME! However, I heard they> changed the formual and the last time I was in the> Health Food Store, I did NOT like the new HR scent. As> for the J.A.Y shampoo and Jajoba and Aloe> Conditioner-- UGH, I couldn't STAND the smell! I am> such a sucker for 'nice' fruity clean smelling> products like ARTec and ISO... I just couldn't> tolerate the Aubrey products all around :(... and I> WANTED to like them, b/c others did, but they didn't> work at all for me.> SherryI agree! I tried the J.A.Y. shampoo, swimmers conditioner, GPB and Jojoba and Aloe conditioners and my hair was extremely tangled with all. I even left the conditioners on for 30 minutes and with heat and it made no difference. I don't know if my hair is too damaged or what but these didn't work for me. I also didn't like the smell.
Susan Hussey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Hussey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
I've worked for Aubrey Organics for 15 years and have used nothing but their products on my hair during that time, except for sampling purposes. My hair has become considerably gray during this time (I'm 45) and I can say that without Aubrey Organics on my hair I would be in bad shape. I have used every hair care product we make and for my dry, graying, curly hair the White Camellia & Jasmine Conditioning Shampoo, Honeysuckle Rose Conditioning Shampoo, GPB and Jojoba & Aloe Conditioner do the job. In addition, on weekends I use the Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Conditioning Mask. This product restores the driest, most flyaway, dull, unmamangable hair. You just can't believe the difference in your hair until you try this product! You put it on before shampooing, and then shampoo as usual. Aubrey is also developing a leave-in conditioner, made with Sea Buckthorn oil, that is absolutely the best I have ever tried. I strongly urge anyone with dry, unmanagable hair to check out our website at http://www.aubrey-organics.com, particularly since we've just launched a new website that looks fabulous, and keep up with the launch of this new product, which will happen in March 2000.As to the remarks made about Aubrey Organics, I welcome the opportunity to discuss them. Paula is an excellent reviewer of products available in drugstore and department stores, but she is not an herbalist and she is a natural cosmetic chemist, which Aubrey is. Aubrey developed a cosmetic preservative made with citrus seed extract AND antioxidant vitamins (vitamins A, C and E) in 1974 (seven years after he started the company). Citrus seed extract is a powerful antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial. It has been used as an antibiotic and is widely recommended by herbalists as an excellent self-purifier. This preservative, combined with the small batch manufacturing method we use, protects the products. We manufacture daily, in batches of no more than 50 gallons, plus we don't warehouse finished products. The finished products are filled and bottled the same day (or the next day for hot products) and are then put on shelves. The orders, for both health food stores and consumers, are then pulled from these shelves. We make 15 or more batches per day, and some products, like GPB, are made three times a week ('cause it's so popular). We have very little problem with products that get too old.Regarding the FDA letter: we did receive an FDA warning letter early in 1999. There were three topics in the letter: the first topic was that we had used too language in our catalog about the herbs in our products that was too strong: phrases such as "hair-restoring herbals" and "good for skin prone to blackheads." This sort of language is considered to be drug claims by the FDA. We changed our catalog promptly. The next topic had to do with our suncare products. In 1999 the new FDA suncare monograph became effective, and there are many new requirements by FDA to comply with this monograph, such as new labeling, more frequent testing for active ingredients in suncare products, etc. All companies manufacturing suncare products will have to comply with these new requirements, and all are scrambling to do so. We will comply with these requirements. The third topic had to do with some typographical errors on three labels, which we have fixed. We have hired a new chemist to oversee these compliance issues, but I do wish to point out that none of these issues had anything to do with the quality of our products, or with the natural quality of our products, or with customer dissatisfaction in any way. We do strive to take the best care of our customers possible, and to answer any complaint we might have, so I do urge everyone who visits the hair boutique site to try our products, to visit our website and to let us know how you like the products. Thank you for reading this very long response.Susan Hussey (susanh8209@aol.com)Related Link:Aubrey Organics' web site
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
> I've worked for Aubrey Organics for 15 years and have> used nothing but their products on my hair during that> time, except for sampling purposes. My hair has become> considerably gray during this time (I'm 45) and I can> say that without Aubrey Organics on my hair I would be> in bad shape. I have used every hair care product we> make and for my dry, graying, curly hair the White> Camellia & Jasmine Conditioning Shampoo,> Honeysuckle Rose Conditioning Shampoo, GPB and Jojoba> & Aloe Conditioner do the job. In addition, on> weekends I use the Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue> Conditioning Mask. This product restores the driest,> most flyaway, dull, unmamangable hair. You just can't> believe the difference in your hair until you try this> product! You put it on before shampooing, and then> shampoo as usual. Aubrey is also developing a leave-in> conditioner, made with Sea Buckthorn oil, that is> absolutely the best I have ever tried. I strongly urge> anyone with dry, unmanagable hair to check out our> website at http://www.aubrey-organics.com,> particularly since we've just launched a new website> that looks fabulous, and keep up with the launch of> this new product, which will happen in March 2000.> As to the remarks made about Aubrey Organics, I> welcome the opportunity to discuss them. Paula is an> excellent reviewer of products available in drugstore> and department stores, but she is not an herbalist and> she is a natural cosmetic chemist, which Aubrey is.> Aubrey developed a cosmetic preservative made with> citrus seed extract AND antioxidant vitamins (vitamins> A, C and E) in 1974 (seven years after he started the> company). Citrus seed extract is a powerful> antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial. It has> been used as an antibiotic and is widely recommended> by herbalists as an excellent self-purifier. This> preservative, combined with the small batch> manufacturing method we use, protects the products. We> manufacture daily, in batches of no more than 50> gallons, plus we don't warehouse finished products.> The finished products are filled and bottled the same> day (or the next day for hot products) and are then> put on shelves. The orders, for both health food> stores and consumers, are then pulled from these> shelves. We make 15 or more batches per day, and some> products, like GPB, are made three times a week> ('cause it's so popular). We have very little problem> with products that get too old.> Regarding the FDA letter: we did receive an FDA> warning letter early in 1999. There were three topics> in the letter: the first topic was that we had used> too language in our catalog about the herbs in our> products that was too strong: phrases such as> "hair-restoring herbals" and "good for> skin prone to blackheads." This sort of language> is considered to be drug claims by the FDA. We changed> our catalog promptly. The next topic had to do with> our suncare products. In 1999 the new FDA suncare> monograph became effective, and there are many new> requirements by FDA to comply with this monograph,> such as new labeling, more frequent testing for active> ingredients in suncare products, etc. All companies> manufacturing suncare products will have to comply> with these new requirements, and all are scrambling to> do so. We will comply with these requirements. The> third topic had to do with some typographical errors> on three labels, which we have fixed. We have hired a> new chemist to oversee these compliance issues, but I> do wish to point out that none of these issues had> anything to do with the quality of our products, or> with the natural quality of our products, or with> customer dissatisfaction in any way. We do strive to> take the best care of our customers possible, and to> answer any complaint we might have, so I do urge> everyone who visits the hair boutique site to try our> products, to visit our website and to let us know how> you like the products. Thank you for reading this very> long response.> Susan Hussey (susanh8209@aol.com)I don't think anyone is attacking Aubrey. I'm sure it is a very good product with a lot of thought put into it; however, as mentioned before on this board, not everyone's hair responds the same to products. I have tried Aubrey's products and, while I haven't used them for more than a week, I only know my hair was a rats nest when I got out of the shower. If you have any suggestions on how to detangle hair without adding more weight I'd gladly appreciate it. My hair is very weak right now so I don't want to take a chance in breaking it more by detangling the mess I had.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Hello Roberta,My hair is very long (over 3 feet long) and my detangling efforts are virtually nil. Before I modified my routine (and the product lines I used), I spent quite a bit of time detangling my hair. Now, the comb practically falls through it. I can detangle my hair in less than one minute, with very few fall-out hairs. Oh, and by the way, I use Aubrey Organics products on my hair now :-)If you haven't seen it, check out the article I wrote for the Hair Boutique on detangling. I've provided the link below. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!DaveRelated Link:How To Minimize Post-Shampoo Detangling of Long Hair
David M Squires
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
> however, as mentioned before on this board, not> everyone's hair responds the same to products.No matter which product (from any company) is used, it can range from nearly performing miracles on one person's hair to nearly performing disasters on another person's hair!I do have to say that whenever I've followed Paula Begoun's recommendations, I've never been disappointed. What I particularly like is that she talks about specific ingredients and why they are good or not-so-good for the hair, rather than just naming companies or products. It's evident that she has no bias towards drugstore or salon products and she freely admits that both have excellent and bad products and has done a lot of research and has spoken to all kinds of chemists. I tend to trust her since she isn't afraid to tell it like it is! When a product is great, she'll say so. And when it continues harmful or potentially irritating ingredients, she'll say so. When I followed her suggestions for skin care, my skin cleared up and looks better than it *ever* has.BTW, Susan, thank you for your thoughtful response! BTW, just to reiterate, I'm not associated with any hair care company at all but just wanted to present another view.Jena
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
That's great that the products work for you! But, with all due respect, I think it would be impossible to get an unbiased view from the company who depends on selling the products as its livelihood! For instance, when I went to Walt Disney World, I did buy their "official" guide. But I also bought some "unofficial" guides which had a lot of different information as well.My *only* criticism of the hair boutique is that every review I've read (and I freely admit I haven't read them all) is always positive. I truly understand that they do not wish to alienate any company by saying anything negative, but by the same token, it's a little difficult to put a lot of belief in reviews that are essentially all the same -- positive. Does that make sense?Jena> I love the Aubrey-Organics shampoos and conditioners!!> My hair looks and feels great, and I have NEVER had> these kinds of great results with any other product.> EVER.> Please visit their website at> http://www.aubrey-organics.com to get their> information.> I've never used Aubrey Organics at all and hence have
Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
All hair care products do not work the same for all people. I have a closet full of shampoos and conditioners that others have recommended. The product that saved and restored my dry damaged hair was Aubrey Organics "White Camellia and Jasmine conditioning shampoo." My hair is now soft, silky, tangle free and close to waist length. I will never again use anyone elses products on my hair.Don
Don
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Hi Jena,I completely agree with the generally-stated principle that "what works for one person won't necessarily work for another."I certainly can't speak for other people who have reviewed products (which I haven't used) for the Hair Boutique, but if you refer to my review of 4 ARTec products that I did use (link below), you will notice that my review was not entirely positive, and surely if I were to write reviews of other products that I have used in the past several years there would be a mix of favorable and unfavorable comments. The overall critique of a given product depends on all of the factors that went into it. It's sorta like the reviews that car magazines use to rate new cars, only not quite as technical. :-)Oh, and I have never had any financial stake in the success of any product I've reviewed for the Hair Boutique.DaveRelated Link:Dave Decker reviews ARTec
David M Squires
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Hello :)Thank you Susan for clarifying this for us and giving us more information on Aubrey Organics. I really appreciate it!Happy Holidays!Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic