Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTrichotillomania -- or Hair pulling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trichotillomania -- or Hair pulling
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:59am
Thanks. I did speak to her doctor, and she spoke to her school counselor. I think it has stopped now...for the time being anyway. They both said the first order of importance was to make her AWARE of what she was doing, and that in and of itself can sometimes stop the behavior.
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
It may not be anything serious, other than her reacting to the stress, call her family, or pediatric doctor and explain what is going on. They will be able to help you. It's certainly nothing to be embarrassed or over-worried about, once you speak with the doc, you can take it from there. If it is Trichotillomania, there is treatment available for it.
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:55am
Yikes! My daughter (7) is under some stress (I recently had surgery and have been out of commission for 5 weeks) and has pulled out a lot of hair in the crown of her head. She has had long, gloriously thick, straight hair. Now, she has a large hole about the size of a coke can bottom that is BARE BALD! I can cover it up with a high ponytail, and I haven't seen her pull any more. Has anyone else had any experiences with this problem, especially with a child? TIA!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic