Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp- my highlights look grey!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help- my highlights look grey!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:55am
Yesterday I changed from coloring my light brown hair blonde, to getting it hightlighted to a more natural look. The stylist added a mix of dark and light tones. But the highlights make my hair look very ashy, almost grey. I am really opposed to re-coloring it for fear my hair will become too damaged. However, a friend told me that there is a rinse or solution that could stay on my hair and gradually take away some of the darkness and maybe brighten my hair up a bit. Is there anything out there like this? What is the best thing for me to do? I want more of a golden tone.
Sherry LaBree View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry LaBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:55am
Hi Cassie!This is a common problem with highlighting (well at least for me and some of my personal friends). I HAVE left the highlights aloe before, and after a few washes they pick up some minerals in the water and turn goldeny themselves... but if you want a rinse... I would suggest either yougo back to your stylist and ask her to apply a deposit only color to blend/warm things up... or do it yourself with an on-line purchase of Sebastian Colourshine Cellophanes (available from DiscountBlvd.com). Check out the Sebastina web site, BEFORE going to discountblvd for a CLEAR explanation of the colors... although I already suggest yougo with Honey Wheat (a pale, warm beige blonde).... Good Luck!Sherry> Yesterday I changed from coloring my light brown hair> blonde, to getting it hightlighted to a more natural> look. The stylist added a mix of dark and light tones.> But the highlights make my hair look very ashy, almost> grey. I am really opposed to re-coloring it for fear> my hair will become too damaged. However, a friend> told me that there is a rinse or solution that could> stay on my hair and gradually take away some of the> darkness and maybe brighten my hair up a bit. Is there> anything out there like this? What is the best thing> for me to do? I want more of a golden tone.Related Link:Sebastian International
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry LaBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
> Hi Cassie!> This is a common problem with highlighting (well at> least for me and some of my personal friends). I HAVE> left the highlights aloe before, and after a few> washes they pick up some minerals in the water and> turn goldeny themselves... but if you want a rinse...> I would suggest either yougo back to your stylist and> ask her to apply a deposit only color to blend/warm> things up... or do it yourself with an on-line> purchase of Sebastian Colourshine Cellophanes> (available from DiscountBlvd.com). Check out the> Sebastina web site, BEFORE going to discountblvd for a> CLEAR explanation of the colors... although I already> suggest yougo with Honey Wheat (a pale, warm beige> blonde).... Good Luck!> SherryRelated Link:Sebastian International
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
> Hi Sherry:They say this product is for professional use only. It is safe and easy to do yourself if you have highlights? (Hopefully, there is no danger of your hair turning green). What is the method of application?Thanks for your helpful post.Chrissie
cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
> They say this product is for professional use only. It> is safe and easy to do yourself if you have> highlights? (Hopefully, there is no danger of your> hair turning green). What is the method of> application?> Thanks for your helpful post.> Chrissie
cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
How damaging is this process to the hair? My ends seem pretty dry from the highlighting.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry LaBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:58am
Hi there!Sorry I disn't get back here earlier! The Colourshine Cellophanes by Sebastian are DEPOSIT only colors (just like Clairol Lovinf Care-- the 6 to 8 shampoo wash out available at the drug store). First let me say that just running your fingers/brushing your hair can rough up the cuticle slightly... the same is true for applying a deposit only hair color... HOWEVER, you probably wont even notice ANY difference, b/c Cellophanes does not contain ANY Hydrogen Peroxide or Ammonia (or any pH raising subatances similar to ammonia)...therefore, you wont experience the typical 'dryness' that youwould after a perm (Feria) or Demi-Perm (Castings) color. The Cellophanes just leaves you with TONS of TEMPORARY to semi-perm (if used with heat) SHINE and slightly enhanced color! The color in the bottle is basically what you get (just lighter)... therefore, you are in NO danger of GREEN hair :) I use 1oz mix of Hnoey Wheat and Clear (the clear is SUPER conditioing) and apply it with an applicator bottle. ithen sit under an old fashioned bonet dryer for 20 min with high heat, shampoo and condition! All DONE!! Best of all, if you don't like the subtle hint of color... youdon't have to worry, its only tEMPORARY... just shampoo a few times :)Sherry> How damaging is this process to the hair? My ends seem> pretty dry from the highlighting.
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:58am
Sherry:Thanks a lot. One last question - is it safe to use over highlights. I have dark blonde hair with two tones of blonde highlights and was thinking of using the wheat Colourshines in between highlights to improve condition and lift the color and also - hopefully - help cover the odd gray hair that grows in.Would it do all those things safely.Thanks, Sherry!
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:58am
> Sherry:> One last thought. You mention you use 1 oz. mix of clear and wheat, which sounds good. However, does this mean you do not have to use the complete bottle once you have opened it (as you do with other semi-perms)?If you do have to use the complete bottle, this would prove very expensive, as the bottles are about $20 each.Thanks, Sherry!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic