Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAubrey Organics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aubrey Organics
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:58am
Hey, Takia:)> I have visited some of my favorite hair sites but I> haven't really had time to post - finals, finals,> finals. Well that's all over now. I don't know what I> am going to do without a computer at home. I have to> rely on my college for the internet since I don't have> one at home but with me going home for 4 weeks I am> going to have a lot of catching up to do when I come> back from break - unless of course I have access to> the internet at my job or at the local library.But, I know it will be a great break to get home. Ugh with those finals...been there:)> Thank you for writing back so quickly. I am really> anxious to try Aubrey. I checked the survey on> naturallycurly. A lot of people seem to love the WC&J> shampoo. I am stuck on the conditioner though. The> 4a/b's with totally natural hair seem to like the JAY> and the GPB but then there are some that said they> experienced a lot of dryness and breakage from GPB the> next day after use. I definitely can't afford that,> but actually it was just that one person; everyone> else had a great experience with it.> Decisions...decisions.Some folks seem to be sensitive to the dose of the protein in the GPB. I don't know whether you noticed, but a good alternative to the Jojoba and Aloe which I think is spectacular is amazingly enough the Swimmers' conditioner. I know that you are sticking close to budget as a student and the advantage with that one if you really like it is that you can get a 8oz bottle. Personally, I love that:) Those little 4oz bottles can get to be a bit much.> I have another question though. I really admire your> knowledge base and your willingness to share that with> others so that they can reach their hair goals. It's> sad that there are people out there who know a lot but> are not willing to share, but as I always say...what> you put out you get back.Thanks for the compliment [Jade blushes] and I do agree with the latter statement about what you put out in the universe.> I am trying to grow my hair out like so many others. I> have been taking the following for the last 2 weeks:> Silica Power by Nature's Herb> Maxine Vegetarian Multi> Hair Fitness> Flaxseed oilIn my humble opinion, you have made some excellent choices here. We both take the same silica supplement:)> I bought Prescriptions for natural healing about 2> months ago so I could do further research on vitamins> in combination with the books I already have but I> want to make sure I am doing the best thing.Prescription is a great resource. I refer to it often.> Just wondering...is there anything else that you think> that I should add to this regimen to hopefully> increase my rate of growth -- ideally to 1"> p/month. It currently grows about 1/2" but I do> believe that with the right vitamin regimen I can> increase this, as others have done.I'm glad you take the flaxseed. I take the black currant, but same principle: essential fatty acids. It's especially good if your hair tends to get a bit dry--very lubricating. Some other things I can think of which might assist. One thing is a vitamin e supplement (natural e complex which includes the d-alpha, beta, gamma and delta tocopherols). It's great for the skin too, but definitely helps with the growth. Try 100-400IU, work your way up to see what's the best dose for you. Another is Vitamin C, preferably Ester-C with bioflavonoids because it gets into your system much faster and stays there longer. Take a daily total, dividing your dose, of 1,000-2,000mg.[Both of these, the E and C increase circulation...I think that's the reason for increased growth. Also remember the C in combattin the dreaded split ends.] Another is a straight B-Complex tablet or capsule, 50mg and take in the evening. I know you are taking Hair Fitness which offers a good amount of the B-Complex, but the B vitamins I think really make your hair grow and keep it in great condition. What I would suggest you do is to take the Hair Fitness along with the others you've listed for at least 1 month. You should see something different. Then, try the nightly extra B-Complex to see if you notice a difference. You will get a "saturation effect" from taking at night when your body is at rest. Some people feel particulary "energetic" after taking the B's, so see if you do. If it is too much for you, take closer to your evening meal or even with your meal.> I know you take quite a laundry list of vitamins for> various things but which ones actually contribute the> most to your increase in hair growth. I think you may> have said that you got up to 2" in a month a few> times (wooooooo....outrageous!!!)Takia, as far as I am concerned, it's all about the B vitamins. I feel like they are the core.[Since I am no longer growing out, see below, guess what I am cutting the dose on...you guessed it..B vitamins:)] With the 2", remember that seaweed salad. It's packed with minerals. I could not deal with the kelp tablets because of the laxative effect on me, but same principle. The other hair growing food as far as I am concerned is plain yogurt, the kind with a bit of fat in it. The other thing in the natural food vein was chlorella. Spirulina made me too wired which is a common reaction. I took very little of the chlorella like 2 tabs daily, but it's packed with protein, aminos, minerals and it's balanced naturally because it is a food, actually an algae, as I am sure you know:)> Oh I have one more curious question:> I think your hair is past your waist now. Did you say> that it took 2 years to grow it out from nothing? I> may be mixing you up with someone else, but how long> did it take compared to how long you think it would> have taken had you not been taking vitamins?I ended my growing out just recently. I started I guess in May 1997 with my hair barely touching my shoulders and now I can sit on it comfortably. The latter was my goal in terms of length. In terms of the mane's overall condition, I am so pleased, too. Strong, shiny and healthy hair. The latter is a lifetime goal:)With your latter question, I can say this. I would estimate that my hair grows about 3/4"-1" naturally, more in the summer months with all that moist heat:) But, my worst problem was losing length to breakage. The dreaded split ends, crackles, etc. and I think poor products was a great contributor. Let's just say it would have been longer without the supplements.> well i hope all is going well with you and your hair.> The weather can really wreak some havoc on the hair> unless you're prepared for it. It's really cold and> dry here right now.Tell me about the dry winter air, inside and out. I've been doing hot oil treatments weekly. Actually, the shea butter/jojoba oil combo----25% shea butter to 75% jojoba oil. Helps a lot:)Take care of yourself and hope to see you here in the near future.All the Best,Jade
Takia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:58am
Hey Jade,I have visited some of my favorite hair sites but I haven't really had time to post - finals, finals, finals. Well that's all over now. I don't know what I am going to do without a computer at home. I have to rely on my college for the internet since I don't have one at home but with me going home for 4 weeks I am going to have a lot of catching up to do when I come back from break - unless of course I have access to the internet at my job or at the local library.Anyway...back to hair.Thank you for writing back so quickly. I am really anxious to try Aubrey. I checked the survey on naturallycurly. A lot of people seem to love the WC&J shampoo. I am stuck on the conditioner though. The 4a/b's with totally natural hair seem to like the JAY and the GPB but then there are some that said they experienced a lot of dryness and breakage from GPB the next day after use. I definitely can't afford that, but actually it was just that one person; everyone else had a great experience with it. Decisions...decisions.I have another question though. I really admire your knowledge base and your willingness to share that with others so that they can reach their hair goals. It's sad that there are people out there who know a lot but are not willing to share, but as I always say...what you put out you get back.Anyway, down to the question:I am trying to grow my hair out like so many others. I have been taking the following for the last 2 weeks:Silica Power by Nature's HerbMaxine Vegetarian MultiHair FitnessFlaxseed oilI bought Prescriptions for natural healing about 2 months ago so I could do further research on vitamins in combination with the books I already have but I want to make sure I am doing the best thing.Just wondering...is there anything else that you think that I should add to this regimen to hopefully increase my rate of growth -- ideally to 1" p/month. It currently grows about 1/2" but I do believe that with the right vitamin regimen I can increase this, as others have done.I would love to get your feedback on this.I know you take quite a laundry list of vitamins for various things but which ones actually contribute the most to your increase in hair growth. I think you may have said that you got up to 2" in a month a few times (wooooooo....outrageous!!!)Oh I have one more curious question:I think your hair is past your waist now. Did you say that it took 2 years to grow it out from nothing? I may be mixing you up with someone else, but how long did it take compared to how long you think it would have taken had you not been taking vitamins?well i hope all is going well with you and your hair. The weather can really wreak some havoc on the hair unless you're prepared for it. It's really cold and dry here right now.Well talk to ya soon Jade.Takia> Hello, Takia!> I have one question for you: Girl, where have you> been? I have missed seeing you virtually. I know> you've probably been busy and even busier with the> Holiday season in full swing. Glad to see you here:)> With the shampoo, I would agree with Don. I think that> your hair would like the White Camelia and Jasmine> shampoo--extra-moisturizing. It's a great starting> point before venturing out...especially with the> bucks:) With the conditioner, I would suggest the> Jojoba and Aloe or the GPB.> Another thing I wanted to mention to you. If you would> like some input from some other ladies, check out the> Aubrey Organics Survey which I posted for in September> 1999 at Naturallycurly.com. Several 4a/b ladies> answered the survey. I will attempt to leave the link> for you, but if I screw it up, the date of the survey> is Sept. 26, 1999, "Aubrey Organics> Survey...Please Reply:)." Go into Curltalk,> uppper right hand corner on homepage, scroll down to> General Discussion on Curly Hair, then you can> manipulate the search feature at the top/bottom of the> page.> Don is right about that Giovanni Leave-In, too, if you> are looking for one. I'm looking forward to trying the> Aubrey one, but I do like this Giovanni product:)> Hope this helps....> Bye for now,> Jade
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
Hello, Takia!I have one question for you: Girl, where have you been? I have missed seeing you virtually. I know you've probably been busy and even busier with the Holiday season in full swing. Glad to see you here:)With the shampoo, I would agree with Don. I think that your hair would like the White Camelia and Jasmine shampoo--extra-moisturizing. It's a great starting point before venturing out...especially with the bucks:) With the conditioner, I would suggest the Jojoba and Aloe or the GPB.Another thing I wanted to mention to you. If you would like some input from some other ladies, check out the Aubrey Organics Survey which I posted for in September 1999 at Naturallycurly.com. Several 4a/b ladies answered the survey. I will attempt to leave the link for you, but if I screw it up, the date of the survey is Sept. 26, 1999, "Aubrey Organics Survey...Please Reply:)." Go into Curltalk, uppper right hand corner on homepage, scroll down to General Discussion on Curly Hair, then you can manipulate the search feature at the top/bottom of the page.Don is right about that Giovanni Leave-In, too, if you are looking for one. I'm looking forward to trying the Aubrey one, but I do like this Giovanni product:)Hope this helps....Bye for now,Jade> I have seen you over at a couple of sites. Hopefully I> can catch up with you here. I am interested in trying> Aubrey Organics because I have heard so many great> things about them. However, I have read some things at> the site and noticed that they have several> conditioners for dry hair. Do you have any idea what> shampoo and conditioner would be best for 4a/b hair> type -- the heavier the better. I would like to treat> myself for christmas. :)> TakiaRelated Link:Aubrey Organics Survey at NaturallyCurly.com
Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
Hi, Takia,While I am not familiar with your specific hair type, Jade recommended Aubrey Organics for my dry hair and it has worked wonderfully. (Don waves at Jade) I am currently using the "White Camellia and Jasmine Conditioning Shampoo." I think its great stuff.Aubrey is making a leave-in conditioner with Sea Buckthorn that will be ready in March. I am waiting patiently for this product. In the mean time I am using Giovanni's "Direct Leave-in Coditioner." It is pretty heavy and a very little goes a long way. You might want to give it a try.Hope this helps .... Don3
Don
Takia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
Hello Jade,I have seen you over at a couple of sites. Hopefully I can catch up with you here. I am interested in trying Aubrey Organics because I have heard so many great things about them. However, I have read some things at the site and noticed that they have several conditioners for dry hair. Do you have any idea what shampoo and conditioner would be best for 4a/b hair type -- the heavier the better. I would like to treat myself for christmas. :)Takia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic