Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedToo old 4 long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RCP View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too old 4 long hair?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
I am 33 and have very thick curly hair. It is about 3inches shy of touching my bra strap. I was wondering if I should keep my hair shorter because of my age. In other words, is there a time when women should get serious about shortening their hair and if so... how short does one go? Should you progressively get shorter the older you get? Is 33 too old to have longer hair?
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
> I am 33 and have very thick curly hair. It is about> 3inches shy of touching my bra strap. I was wondering> if I should keep my hair shorter because of my age. In> other words, is there a time when women should get> serious about shortening their hair and if so... how> short does one go? Should you progressively get> shorter the older you get? Is 33 too old to have> longer hair?the length does not matter is up to person wearing it.i have many customers with long hair and are 30 and over.
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
> I am 33 and have very thick curly hair. It is about> 3inches shy of touching my bra strap. I was wondering> if I should keep my hair shorter because of my age. In> other words, is there a time when women should get> serious about shortening their hair and if so... how> short does one go? Should you progressively get> shorter the older you get? Is 33 too old to have> longer hair?God, I hate that old hackney cliche....I'm 31 with waist length hair and I have no intention of cutting it. Some of the most beatiful women I know are in their 50's and 60's and have long hair in colors ranging from salt and pepper to pure white and I'd say for most of them their long hair is their best feature. I also see plenty of older women with the typical short and/or dyed hair who look ridiculous.Of course, you have to decide for yourself, but don't cut your hair to please some old busy-bodies or some myth that women over a certain age can't wear their hair long. In truth many of the myths of aging beatifully are just that, myths.
brenda
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
It totally depends on your hair, face, and body. There are some women at age 20 who really don't look good in long hair and some women at age 50 who look great in it!I'd just try to keep it healthy and in proportion to your body and face. And most importantly, do what YOU want!
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
>Do what you want and if you feel that it looks good on you go ahead and don't let anyone talk you out of it.Everyone has opinions but only you will live with yourself.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
RCP,A lot of people wil say you're NEVER too old to have long hair. For some women, this is true. Others really age better if they go shorter, in my opinion.But it's a matter of /actual/ age rather than chronological age. Sun-damaged, weathered skin and hard makeup look odd against long, flowing, "nature girl" hair. Jowly faces tend to look worse framed by length. At any age, your hair should be consistent with your overall image.But 33 is by no means old. Sandra Bullock is 33. If your hair is healthy and flattering, there is no need to cut it. Take excellent care of your skin and physique, and you'll be able to pull it off for years.Ally
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
I'm turning 32 on Sunday and have hair that's 24 inches long. I've dedicated myself to growing my hair as long as it will go and still look healthy. People in my office tell me I look like I'm in my mid-20's. I believe long hair is a benefit as we age, not a hinderance!
Carolyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:56am
Good grief, 33 is hardly old! I recently saw a woman of obvious "mature" years and grandmotherly appearance, who wore her glorious thick gray hair in a long braid that passed the middle of her back, and she looked stunning! Wear your hair to please yourself, not someone else's image of what you should be...and that goes for anyone at any age.> I am 33 and have very thick curly hair. It is about> 3inches shy of touching my bra strap. I was wondering> if I should keep my hair shorter because of my age. In> other words, is there a time when women should get> serious about shortening their hair and if so... how> short does one go? Should you progressively get> shorter the older you get? Is 33 too old to have> longer hair?
Carolyn M. Bender
Sam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
> At 30, I also wondered whether I should get my long hair cut and I did. It was a disaster and because my hair is so thick and wavy it looked like a mushroom.I am now 49 and have had it long ever since. Now it is past my shoulders and it is similar in style to Suzanne Somers, who is 52. People usually think I am about 35. I believe with short hair I would look older.In other words, if you have look good long hair can be very youthful. If you let yourself go, I think it can look awful.
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
Hi!First of all 33 is NOT old! I am 49, soon to be 50 and I don't feel any older than I did 25 years ago. I also have long hair almost to bra strap length. I sure hope I am not too old to have long hair because I intend to keep it that way. I think as long as you keep your hair very healthy with no split ends and well trimmed and conditioned you will be just fine keeping it long. You probably already know all the great variety of styles and updo's you can create with long hair. When you wear busniess clothes make sure your hair accessories are not fussy and juvenile. I like a ponytail held with a scrunchie but I only do that with jeans and casual clothes, when I am running around doing errands or on weekends. I think long hair can be very youthful. It all depends on your facial features and a lot on your attitude. I look like carp in short hair and it made me look so much older and so I am going back to long hair. I hated short hair on me. I agree with whoever said that long flowing hair looks out of character with a lined wrinkly face and gobs of aging makeup. But go for it if you love your hair long. I think you might be sorry of you decided to cut it but I doubt you will be sorry of you keep it long. I intend to let mine grow a few more inches and maybe even go for waist length. Look at all the actresses in their 30s and 40s who still have long hair and are prettier than ever.Carolyn B
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
> I'm turning 32 on Sunday and have hair that's 24> inches long. I've dedicated myself to growing my hair> as long as it will go and still look healthy. People> in my office tell me I look like I'm in my mid-20's. I> believe long hair is a benefit as we age, not a> hinderance!In response to all of the people in favor of pleasing themselves and not others in regard to hair length, Hair! Hair!
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
> Hi!> First of all 33 is NOT old! I am 49, soon to be 50 and> I don't feel any older than I did 25 years ago. I also> have long hair almost to bra strap length. I sure hope> I am not too old to have long hair because I intend to> keep it that way. I think as long as you keep your> hair very healthy with no split ends and well trimmed> and conditioned you will be just fine keeping it long.> You probably already know all the great variety of> styles and updo's you can create with long hair. When> you wear busniess clothes make sure your hair> accessories are not fussy and juvenile. I like a> ponytail held with a scrunchie but I only do that with> jeans and casual clothes, when I am running around> doing errands or on weekends. I think long hair can be> very youthful. It all depends on your facial features> and a lot on your attitude. I look like carp in short> hair and it made me look so much older and so I am> going back to long hair. I hated short hair on me. I> agree with whoever said that long flowing hair looks> out of character with a lined wrinkly face and gobs of> aging makeup. But go for it if you love your hair> long. I think you might be sorry of you decided to cut> it but I doubt you will be sorry of you keep it long.> I intend to let mine grow a few more inches and maybe> even go for waist length. Look at all the actresses in> their 30s and 40s who still have long hair and areprettier than ever.> Carolyn Bi agree 100%
Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
> God, I hate that old hackney cliche....I'm 31 with> waist length hair and I have no intention of cutting> it. Some of the most beatiful women I know are in> their 50's and 60's and have long hair in colors> ranging from salt and pepper to pure white and I'd say> for most of them their long hair is their best> feature. I also see plenty of older women with the> typical short and/or dyed hair who look ridiculous.> Of course, you have to decide for yourself, but don't> cut your hair to please some old busy-bodies or some> myth that women over a certain age can't wear their> hair long. In truth many of the myths of aging> beatifully are just that, myths.that's great Brenda keep the long hair lot of woman look sexy with long hair would be nice to see pic of you maybe sometime, let me know and would give you my email to send pic
Ron View Drop Down

> In response to all of the people in favor of pleasing> themselves and not others in regard to hair length,> Hair! Hair!i love doing a woman with long hair even if only a trim but love brush it
eric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
> prettier than ever.> i agree 100% so do I long is prittier then ever
Brian Bosco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Bosco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:57am
NEVER cut your hair at any age, RCP, except when absolutelynecessary for such issues as safety around machinery, combat, fending off people who love long hair etc.You are too beautiful *with* your long hair to cut it. Justrestyle it, if you wish: chignons, braids, curls, you nameit. Try some of the styles which were standard from the40's through to the mid-60's.Brian.*************************> I am 33 .... is there a time when women should get> serious about shortening their hair..Is 33 too old to have longer hair?
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:58am
I am 31, almost 32, and my hair is about 1-2 inches shy of my waist (29 inches). I have had short hair, and it is a pain for me. I like the look of longer hair on myself, and I can do many more styles, and have lots of accessories. XMas shopping is not hard to do for me, just buy me hair accessories You should grow your hair as long as you like and keep it as long as you like. It depends on your lifestyle, how it looks on you, and its condition. My Grandmother had just below shoulder length hair til she died. She was 89. She kept it up, but it suited her. Short hair wouldn't suit her.If you like the way you look with longer hair, keep it, because that it ultimately who you should try to please, yourself.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:58am
>> You should grow your hair as long as you like and keep> it as long as you like. It depends on your lifestyle,> how it looks on you, and its condition. My Grandmother> had just below shoulder length hair til she died. She> was 89. She kept it up, but it suited her. Short hair> wouldn't suit her.>That sounds like my greatgrandmother Lisa. She had very long hair and it was always nicely put up in buns and she wouldn't have look nice with short hair. ( Diane)
Ethel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:01am
> I am 33 and have very thick curly hair. It is about> 3inches shy of touching my bra strap. I was wondering> if I should keep my hair shorter because of my age. In> other words, is there a time when women should get> serious about shortening their hair and if so... how> short does one go? Should you progressively get> shorter the older you get? Is 33 too old to have> longer hair?Dear RCP,When Mother Nature thinks you are too old to have a baby, you will no longer be able to become pregnant. When she thinks you are too old to have long hair, it will get no longer, but will grow slower or break off as it grows out, even if you take good care of it and are healthy.If you want to keep your hair long, by all means do it with no apologies to anyone, and wear it proudly. After all, a woman's hair is her crowning glory. 33! You are still quite young!I do think, however, that women who have a lot of grey hair and wrinkled, old-looking faces look a bit "witchy" when they wear their hair very long, especially if it is loose, wild and wiry. For this reason, I will NEVER have grey hair as long as hair-coloring is still being produced (not that I have grey hair and/or wrinkles...yet, mind you (;->).French Twists, French Braids and other hairstyles that put the hair up or back are so elegant and attractive that an older woman should not feel that her hair has to be short, even if she chooses not to color it. Bangs are also nice with such hairstyles.Of course, if a woman really wants to wear her hair short, she should do just that. It can always grow back if she changes her mind later.Three inches above the bra strap is not that long, no matter what your age. You can do so many nice things with your hair at that length.Do what pleases you and do not be dictated to by anyone. As the song goes, "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself." I live by that philosophy and I am always completely happy with myself.Take care,Ethel
Annyomus View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annyomus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:03am
> if you are confortable with long hair you have than keep it i agree with all of the other people if you like it long keep it long and let it grow or if you want to go short than that is fine like some of the other people have said a lot of young movie stars have long BEAUTIFUL hair and i personally think that they look beautiful i am a hairdresser and tons of people have come to me with long hair and wanted a drastic change and i have told them to think befor they do it and maybe check out some picture's of people with short hair. Basically just be yourself if you want it keep it is your choice!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic