Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSalon vs. Drugstore, Part II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salon vs. Drugstore, Part II
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:00am
After reading everyone's posts yesterday, especially Jena's list of ingredients she avoids, I went through my own bathroom cupboard. Most of my "reject" shampoos, like Aussie Mango, do indeed contain those ingredients.Another thing I probably haven't considered: Back when I was trying every cheap shampoo on the shelf, I didn't know anything about hair care, and my fine hair was VERY chemically processed. But when I found this site, I simultaneously decided to stop coloring my hair and to switch to "upscale" products. I might have confused the results of healthier hair habits with the "magic" of expensive shampoo.So today I'm going to pick up two drugstore products and try working them into my routine. (I am a firm believer in rotating shampoos.) Maybe I've learned something new.(Other recommendations for fine hair with dry ends and normal/oily roots are welcomed.)Thanks,Ally
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:00am
I really hope you don't think I'm somehow "against" salon products, because I'm not! I just want to let it be known that they aren't infinitely better just because they're sold in a salon.Yeserday, I was in the Bath and Body Works store (couldn't you just *live* there with all the wonderful scents?!) and found the plumeria-scented products section, which is my favorite. I smelled the shampoo, and it was divine! But then I looked at the ingredients -- staring me in the face was sodium lauryl sulfate. Oh well, they still have lots of body lotions and air fresheners!Jena
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:00am
I just came back from Wal-Mart and had a similar experience: Everything that looked tempting had sodium laurel sulfate or silicones. Did you learn about this ingredient from experience, or did you read it somewhere?It's too bad about Bath & Body Works. But they still have the BEST body lotion. (Did you try Toasted Hazelnut? I bought six bottles.)Ally
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:01am
>Did you learn about this> ingredient from experience, or did you read it> somewhere?I wasn't able to isolate the ingredients on my own, but I definitely knew that some products worked better than others, and I wondered why. I started reading some books and searching the web, and the same ingredients kept coming up that were not recommended. When I isolated the products that didn't contain the ingredients, I did notice a difference.>>Did you try Toasted Hazelnut? I bought six bottles.Oh, I smelled that, and it was heavenly!!Happy Holidays!Jena
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:01am
Yummmmmm.......Toasted Almond sounds devine!!Unfortanately, there are no "Bath & Body Works" near me right now but in May or June one is supposedly coming to our mall! I can't wait! I love that store!Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic