Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedlong hair in business

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long hair in business
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
Hi. I'm 37, married, a technical writer in the aerospace industry, and have been growing my hair (for the first time in my life!) to the point it is just below my brastrap. I have an aging perm that is growing out, don't color my hair (dark blonde, growing darker every day, no gray) and wonder about proper "business" hairstyles. I don't want to cut it - this is the longest it has been in my entire life! I am not "good" with hair -- normally I blow-dry and pull it back into a headband, but need some good ideas about quick "do's" that would be acceptable in the workplace. Help?! I deal primarily in a "business casual" workplace, but have occasional "visitor days" that include foreign customers (mostly male!!!). Thanks a mil.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
I personally think a good old-fashioned bun can be very feminine yet appropriate for a business look! I think you're definitely on the right track -- pulling it back is a good idea. You could even use barrettes on each side so you could still wear it long yet it wouldn't be in the way or overwhelm your face.Jena
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
> I personally think a good old-fashioned bun can be> very feminine yet appropriate for a business look! I> think you're definitely on the right track -- pulling> it back is a good idea. You could even use barrettes> on each side so you could still wear it long yet it> wouldn't be in the way or overwhelm your face.> JenaJena - thanks. An old-fashioned bun? Ponytailed and then wrapped around and secured with bobby pins? Thanks.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
Hi, Amy.I am also a tech writer. I see NO reason not to wear your hair any length you desire (within reason).Some long-hair styles that are suitable for the workplace:1. A low ponytail fastened with a nice but simple accessory. Clear elastics work well.)2. A French twist.3. A French braid.4. A chignon.Some styles that are iffy:1. Sides pulled back in a barrette, back worn loose behind the shoulders. (This looks fine if your hair is straight, but long, loose, wild hair looks unprofessional.)2. Hair down. (If you do it, it must look polished.)3. Headbands. They are frumpy, girlish, and passe when worn as career attire. I've never seen anyone look good in a headband with a suit. (sorry!)Some styles that don't go with business attire:1. Anything involving a scrunchy or a big plastic clip.2. Any style with loose, romantic tendrils hanging in your face.3. Heidi braids.4. More than one barrette.In general, hair should be worn smooth and off the face.Ally
Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
> Jena - thanks. An old-fashioned bun? Ponytailed and> then wrapped around and secured with bobby pins?> Thanks.Why have long hair if your going to wear it up all the time.If the style can't support wearing it down and natural, 50% or more of the time, then it is not the right style, that is why most business looks are shorter
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
> A lot of men,like to have ladies,unfold their long hairin the evening. Another factor to consider,is if thehusband likes long hair,worn down,after a wive gets down,working. Many ladies wear their hair very long,and unfoldtheir long hair after they get off work,so the husbandscan enjoy caressing and brushing their pretty long hair.I would suggest to save your long hair,for your husbandor boyfriend,if he likes it,even if it has to be wrappedand folded all the time at the work site.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
> Why have long hair if your going to wear it up all the> time.No one said to wear it up all the time! One of the advantages of long hair is the versatility! Hair can be worn professionally, both up and down. It's just nice to have a change. I do have short hair (but am in the process of growing it out) and one huge disadvantage is that styling options are extremely limited for me.> If the style can't support wearing it down and> natural, 50% or more of the time, then it is not the> right style, that is why most business looks are> shorterI beg to disagree. Business looks are shorter so women can more closely resemble *men*. Very few will admit it, but that's my opinion. I think a woman can look feminine in short hair, but it's hard not to look feminine in long hair. In a business atmosphere, it's not always advantageous to "flaunt" one's sex. And...well...sometimes it is!Jena
Kelly F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
Hi Amy, my opinion is that the hair length is not really the issue insomuch as the *condition* of one's hair. Namely, I see nothing inappropriate or unbusiness-like for a woman to wear long hair at work, provided it's polished and well kept. For example, if one's hair is long, but stringy and thin, then maybe it's not such a good idea. A good head of hair, at ANY length, can look professional. Have you considered possibly rolling your hair? It would probably help smooth out the aging perm and give some body. Hair accessories are great too, as long as you don't look like a teenager when wearing them. I am 36 and have grown my hair out too over the past year, no layers, several inches past my shoulders. You can do some wonderful things with accessories, if you play around with what works and what doesn't. Wearing your hair up takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, you can create anything from very casual to professional styles. Ask your stylist to help you on that one. Good luck! Kelly F.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
> I would like to suggest that you save your long hair.Many ladies have become used to folding and wrapping iteveryday at the office. If your husband likes,long hair,you can wear it down,after you get off work. You can usehair sticks to fold and wrap your long hair tightly toyour head, then let your husband unwrap hour long hairafter you get home from work. Save your long hair forthe men in your life to enjoy.There are some ladies in my town that have grown long hairfor the first time in their life,after age forty,and reallylove their long hair.The long hair that you have grown to the longest in yourlife is something to feel good about,no matter what yourage. You can do a large number of hair styles with longhair. You should consider growing your long hair downto your waist. You will need to take some good hairvitamins to keep your long hair healthy. At age 37,with your pretty and beautiful hair it is a treasurefor you,to consider perserving,and protecting,for a longtime in the future.
liane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
> Why have long hair if your going to wear it up all the> time.> If the style can't support wearing it down and> natural, 50% or more of the time, then it is not the> right style, that is why most business looks are> shorterI have to disagree. I personally think that long hair put up looks better than short hair worn down. Besides if you have short hair then it's short all the time. But if you have long hair, it can have that short look at work without having to actually cut the hair... and can still be let down after hours for that long hair look. Long hair has more choices... besides... I enjoy putting the hair up. If I had short hair I couldn't put it up then.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
> Why have long hair if your going to wear it up all the> time.** I work out five times a week and diet to maintain a flat stomach. Should I not bother since I can't show it off at work?Ally
Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
> Why have long hair if your going to wear it up all the> time.> If the style can't support wearing it down and> natural, 50% or more of the time, then it is not the> right style, that is why most business looks are> shorterIf you read my message it says 50%, which means you wear your hair up and down, in the previous messages they are talking about wearing her up all the time, all I'm saying is if you are going to have long hair make sure it is a style that can be wore down
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
>There are many ladies that have to fold wrap,their hairthe entire day,at the office. But after you get home,youcan let a man unwrap your hair,at let him enjoy it.Cindy my lady friend has to wrap and fold her waist lengthhair,every day,to go to work. But Cindy does save her long hair for me to enjoy,after she gets off work.Just because a lady may have to fold and wrap her tightlyat the work site,all the time,is NOT an excuse to cut it.Many men enjoy,unfolding a ladies long hair,after shegets home from work. I like to see a lady let her longhair down at she gets off work.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
> ** I work out five times a week and diet to maintain a> flat stomach. Should I not bother since I can't show> it off at work?> Ally
David M Squires
Sam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
> Just because a lady may have to fold and wrap her> tightly> at the work site,all the time,is NOT an excuse to cut> it.> Many men enjoy,unfolding a ladies long hair,after she> gets home from work. I like to see a lady let her long> hair down at she gets off work.What is it about me? I have always had long hair but the three important relationships in my life have been men have all preferred really short hair! Maybe you just can't win. I have always wrapped my hair every which way at work but wish I could be brave enough to cut the darn stuff off.If you are a brave soul, I say GO FOR IT! Men DO love short hair and if you have the right face I am told it looks really sexy (as well as being acceptable for work).
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
> I will respond to directly to your message by privatee mail.
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
> Hi. I'm 37, married, a technical writer in the> aerospace industry, and have been growing my hair (for> the first time in my life!) to the point it is just> below my brastrap. I have an aging perm that is> growing out, don't color my hair (dark blonde, growing> darker every day, no gray) and wonder about proper> "business" hairstyles. I don't want to cut> it - this is the longest it has been in my entire> life! I am not "good" with hair -- normally> I blow-dry and pull it back into a headband, but need> some good ideas about quick "do's" that> would be acceptable in the workplace. Help?! I deal> primarily in a "business casual" workplace,> but have occasional "visitor days" that> include foreign customers (mostly male!!!). Thanks a> mil.I want to thank everyone for their comments. I tried wearing my hair up today, and got a lot of compliments. I'm just not a "morning" person, and get up before dawn to be at work by 7 anyway, so the quicker the style, the better. Thanks again, all, I appreciate all the comments. And especially the one about long hair manners -- sometimes I forget!
Scorpeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2000 at 12:03am
I have long hair, an inch above my waist, and I have to keep the front off of my face and the rest in back.  I work with animals so it can get in the way.  Does that mean I should cut it so it is easier?  Nope. 
I have my hair long because it is easier for me to style, and I think there are more styles for long hair.  I personally hated having my hair short (being shoulder length) because it kept getting in my face.  Now that it's longer, it stays behind my back. 
I love wearing it long when I am off of work.  I like braiding it, wearing it up, and trying new hairstyles.  Long hair is not for everyone, but to those who love it, it is the only way to go.
I personally wouldn't change my hair for someone else.  No matter how much other people look at it, it is still me who has to care for it and deal with it on a daily basis.
Besides, when it gets cold here (currently 12 degrees), my hair keeps my neck and ears nice and warm!

Scorpeo aka LisaScorpeo's Homepage
Scorpeo
bunny7744 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunny7744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2000 at 2:18pm
I love my hair, but there are times when wearing it down is not appropriate. Granted, my work environment is casual - I can wear jeans and (nice) tshirts everyday if I want to. There are times, when I cannot wear my hair down. When I have business meetings or out in public on District business, I wear my hair up. Just because I have to control my locks in the work place that doesn't mean I am going to cut them off. My fiance loves my hair just as much as I do. He loves laying together and watching tv with my hair spread across his bare skin, brushing it, etc. I even heard a rumor that he is going to buy Patrick Cameron's books for me for my birthday so he can style my hair. Why deny us the pleasures of long hair because of a 40 hour a week job?

I am not jumping, or being nasty I hope it's not taken that way. I am just trying to make a point, and if I offended, I apologize.

Tanya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic