Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHot Rollers in Fine Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ilse View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Rollers in Fine Hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
Hi,I have thin hair, reasonably long (at my shoulder blades), and it does have some wave to it in the back. Recently, I started experimenting with hot rollers to add volume and curl/wave to my hair. It looked great at first, and it even stayed in for a day or two. Now, I am down to not having any wave at all when I take out the hot rollers. I am using a gel - Biotine/for fine hair- on my hair before I roll it up. I can not use any of the salon hair products because my partner is allergic to them. I read that steam hot rollers are good, give a good holding curl. Does anyone know about that? If so, how easy are they to use (does it take a lot of time?) and where are they available. Any suggestions on how to use the hot rollers are welcome.Thanks,Ilse
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
Hello, Ilse...As far as the hot rollers: These can be very damaging to fine hair, especially when used every day. If they have stopped curling your hair, I would guess that 1) you have build-up from the gel that is weighing your hair down, or 2)you are not leaving them in as long as you were. (They should be cool before you remove them for the firmest curl.)I cannot recommend steam rollers enough. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and FAST. They also make fine hair look bulkier because they infuse it with moisture. (On some people this has a slight darkening effect that is temporary.) Oh....did I mention that they are MUCH gentler to the hair? You can buy a set at many drugstores (Walgreen's has them) or Sally's Beauty Supply.Ally
Kelly F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
> Hello, Ilse...> As far as the hot rollers: These can be very damaging> to fine hair, especially when used every day. If they> have stopped curling your hair, I would guess that 1)> you have build-up from the gel that is weighing your> hair down, or 2)you are not leaving them in as long as> you were. (They should be cool before you remove them> for the firmest curl.)> I cannot recommend steam rollers enough. They are> relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and FAST. They> also make fine hair look bulkier because they infuse> it with moisture. (On some people this has a slight> darkening effect that is temporary.) Oh....did I> mention that they are MUCH gentler to the hair? You> can buy a set at many drugstores (Walgreen's has them)> or Sally's Beauty Supply.> AllyI *totally* agree with Ally on all counts here. I also have fine hair and have been through every kind of roller on the market over the past 20 years. By and far, my absolute favorite...steam rollers. You can literally put these in your hair and almost take them right back out and the result is lots of volume. Leave them in for a while longer and you get lots of curls. You just need to get a little acclimated to using them, vs. hot rollers. My set is a Caruso and you put each individual roller on for a few seconds. I like this kind because you don't need to add salt to the steamer to work. It's also very gentle to your hair. It doesn't burn your head (or fingers), like hot rollers always did with me. :) Kelly F.
Ilse View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
Thanks a lot Ally and Kelly.I was thinking the same thing about the gel. I am delighted to hear that the steam rollers will be much better for my hair. I have one more question though: Do I still need to put some type of gel or anything else in my hair prior to using them for the curl to hold?Thanks again,Ilse
Kelly F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
> Thanks a lot Ally and Kelly.> I was thinking the same thing about the gel. I am> delighted to hear that the steam rollers will be much> better for my hair. I have one more question though:> Do I still need to put some type of gel or anything> else in my hair prior to using them for the curl to> hold?> Thanks again,> IlseIlse, as for myself, I sometimes just put a spritz of hairspray on the ends right before I roll it. It's not so much to hold the curl, but to help keep my very straight ends from going in every direction as I wrap the section around the roller. :) Definitely try it without anything first and if need be, then go for something on the ends to help hold curl. Steam rollers set very well. You just need to play around a little with how long to leave them in to get the desired look. Good luck! Kelly F.
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
>My set is a Caruso and you put> each individual roller on for a few seconds. I like> this kind because you don't need to add salt to the> steamer to work. It's also very gentle to your hair.Hi Kelly!I have one of the old sets of Caruso curlers that requires salt. I was wondering if you knew of the difference between the two. Does the salt harm the hair?Thanks for the infoDawn
Kelly F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
> Hi Kelly!> I have one of the old sets of Caruso curlers that> requires salt. I was wondering if you knew of the> difference between the two. Does the salt harm the> hair?> Thanks for the info> DawnHi Dawn!No, the salt doesn't harm the hair at all. It doesn't come out in the steam itself. The only purpose for utilizing salt with the steamer is that on the older models, salt was required for some reason to help the base produce the steam. That's its sole purpose. I have a steam iron for clothes that works in the same fashion...requiring salt to make the steam. I've had other roller steamers in the past requiring salt and it was just a pain for me to keep a vial of salt under the cabinet! Have a good day. :) Kelly F.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
I like any light-hold setting lotion. Sebastian Potion 9 is my favorite, because it improves the hair too.Ally
Kelly F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
> I like any light-hold setting lotion. Sebastian Potion> 9 is my favorite, because it improves the hair too.> AllyHi Ally, wow, I thought Potion #9 was just a conditioner! I have some & didn't even know it was a light hold setting lotion. Learn something new everyday. {grin} Kelly F.
kileyc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kileyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2000 at 5:19pm
I am a guy with very finr hair and I started using the steam rollers and they really do work. The curls are soft and very touchable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic