Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedToo much conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too much conditioner
    Posted: January 16 2000 at 9:53am
Hi. I've always been told that I have thick, nice hair. I've never used much conditioner, but I have recently been trying to grow it long. So I used a conditioner for about two weeks. I made sure I only used a very small amount (about the size of a pea). I really liked the way it left my hair, but then it seemed to get limp. I stopped using it. This was a couple of months ago.

Now, my hair seems limp. It does not feel thick anymore!
I've tried using Neutragena shampoo for a week.

Will my hair ever get back to its original state?
Alexandra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2000 at 4:48pm
Hey, Gina,

I've had the same problem as you at times over the years.

I've got really thick (and now long-ish) hair, and I never really needed to use conditioner very frequently. But since I kept reading that conditioner was a must for hair, I began using a light one for...actually, I think it was about two weeks. At first it worked well, then my hair started to get limp. I started using it every other day, and it got a bit better. Then I cut it to about twice a week. Now, even though I'm taking medication that dries out my hair (and everything else), I still only condition once a week. I have insanely healthy hair and once a week is all my hair needs.

What hair products have you been using? Anything that could possibly make the hair limp (like dimethicone--yeesh, that stuff kills my hair). Have you been sick? Karen just posted something about how illness can mess with your hair. Have you changed your diet? Not been exercising? Do you switch shampoos at all (it helps me if I do this a couple times a week)?

If you've been using the Neutrogena that long, I'm thinking it's not buildup. Try going back to your regular shampoo. I use ARTec's Kiwi shampoo. It feels like it conditions my hair, holds up to humidity relatively well, and gives it a bit of body. Smells nice too.

Try another styling product that will help with body, like a mousse or gel. I've been meaning to try a volume spray for my roots.

Hopefully, if you try any of this, you can find some way to get your hair back to the way it was.
Good luck,
Alexandra
MCCREA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCCREA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2000 at 5:24pm
Gina!
I think you might be using the wrong conditioner for youre hair, you need to go to a salon, and they will use a clarifing shampoo to strip the build up on youre hair and more likely you will have curls again, but get a professional opinion. It sounds like you have beautiful hair.good luck
Mary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic