Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home Made Treatments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
karengriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karengriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Made Treatments
    Posted: November 14 2011 at 10:21pm
Great tips...I find the third one the most easiest to adopt and something I have heard a lot too. 
Inika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 3:16pm
Turns out that colostrum is a very effective natural home made treatment and  can have very beneficial effects in repairing damaged hair and promoting healthy hair growth.
Cow colostrum has been used in ancient Ayurveda for thousands of years for a variety of purposes.

Cow colostrum is usually taken as a supplement since it's full of natural (and vital) vitamins and minerals.
It can also be applied externally as a paste:

Simply mix a table spoon of colostrum with purified/spring water to make a paste and apply to desired area.

There is nothing that has natural effects like cow colostrum.
Wish You The Best In Natural Hair,
Inika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 3:08pm
Turn out that a very effective and natural homemade treatment made from cow colostrum can be very effective. Most people take colostrum as a natural supplement but it can also be applied externally as a paste for skin and hair conditions.

Simply mix a tablespoon of colostrum powder with purified/spring water and apply to the desired area.
Cow colostrum has been used in ancient Ayurveda for thousands of years.
It helps promote healthy hair growth and repair damage since it's full of vital minerals and vitamins.

Cow colostrum is beneficial to anyone and it has amazing natural results.
shella78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shella78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 1:20am
If you have dandruff and hair fall problems. Massage coconut virgin oil to your scalp for ten minutes and leave it on an hour or so before you rinse it off with mild shampoo. You can leave it overnight if you want and rinse it off in the morning.

Virgin coconut oil has antiviral, anti-fungal and anti -microbial properties that helps dandruff and bacterial scalp infection. Try using virgin coconut oil  daily if you experience hair loss and it comes with dry, scalp, dandruff, eczema, or psoriasis.

Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2009 at 8:43pm
A co-worker recently returned from a visit with her family in another state. While there, she mentioned my interest in home made hair treatments and they gave her this one:

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 tablespoons of Natural honey

Directions:
Put coconut oil and honey in a small plastic bag and place the bag in a hot cup of water for 1 minute to warm. Apply to hair, wrap hair in a towel for 20 minutes. Shampoo and dry hair.

My co-worker has fairly short hair and she said the recipe amount was sufficient for her. She also says that her hair dried out while on her visit due to the cold dry air and this really did improve the condition of her hair. I will say that it did look very healthy with lots of shine and it smelled really nice .Wink

If I get a chance to have some personal experience with it, I will post the results.

Happy Holidays!Tongue

Merlin
kathyblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 11:58am
I read somewhere that if you use flour in your hair it tames flyaway hair. Also using cayenne peppers helps stimulate blood flow so using it both topically and internally is good.
If cayenne seems too much for you, you can use cayenne internally and use cinnamon topically.

MY mother bids me bind my hair
With bands of rosy hue,
Tie up my sleeves with ribbons rare,
And lace my bodice blue.

http://public.fotki.com/kathyblack/
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 10:25am
 I don't know about this one but I will pass it along.

I hadn't seen the wife of a former co-worker for some time but when I ran into her last week I noticed her hair was in much better shape than the last time I had seen her.

She said she has been using a "super simple" protein recipe. Other than saying it seems to have worked well for her, I really don't have any experience with it. But here goes:

1 ouce soy sauce
1 cup warm water

After shampooing, pour this over your hair. Leave in for 10 minutes, then rinse out.

If I get any experience with it, I will pass the results along.

Wink

Merlin
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 1:12pm
Merlin
marbetj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marbetj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 8:46pm

Hi

Can you tell me where can I buy brewer yeasts?.

Thanks

Palonia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 2:55am
Brenda:

You should be able to safely add up to 30 drops of essential oil to the 1/4 cup of olive oil (2.5% dilution rate). If this is for you hair length, rather than scalp, I would probably lessen that to 10 drops to be a little more cost effective. It should not hurt your hair at all, and in fact is thought to promote shine and strength. On the scalp it is thought to promote growth. I personally use essential oils in both my water mister and the oils I protect the length with daily, and they often don't get washed out for days. I personally have had no problems on my hip length hair, and I have been working with them for years. Dilute properly, and you should be fine. If it is going to touch your skin, I would test the mixture first, to ensure you have no sensitivites or allergies to the rosemary.

Palonia
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2003 at 9:41pm

BEAUTY DRINK

Drink a glass of carrot juice to which the juice of one lime has been added along with a tablespoon of brewer's yeast mixed into it daily (damaged hair should see a difference in a week's time). This is a drink rich in vitamin A, C, and B complex. Brewers yeast is the natural and best form of B complex.

wouldn't v8 splash taste better for the a and c than just carrot juice? they also have a diet v8 splash.
BrendaH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendaH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2003 at 11:35pm
Hello to everyone...
I have a simple questions,,, I do a EV Olive Oil treatment on my hair twice a week... If I use about 1/4 cup of Olive Oil how many drops of Rosemary Oil do I put in it...and can I leave Rosemary oil in my hair with the Olive oil over night... would it hurt my hair...
Thank you for any info...
take care everyone...
Constance View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2003 at 2:59am
Wow. Great recipes here. Thanks to all.

Here are some that I found:

To make your hair darker
Mix juice of one lime or one lemon with a cup of strong coffee (not instant). Do your final rinse after final conditioner with the coffee. Use a bowl to catch the drippings and reuse. Continue to apply the coffee rinse until it is all gone. Do not wash out the coffee.

I also mix the coffee in a little yogurt to give it a lighter color and glob the yogurt on my hair for the final rinse. It helps hold the coffee on my hair. I quickly and light rinse out the yogurt, do a final coffee rinse and let it set.

This is very messy and it will stain towels. So be careful but have fun.
Karen Marie Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Marie Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 9:19am
A good place for shea butter online is:

www.ebenenaturals.com

Thanks for all the great recipes.

Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
Katie Anne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 4:29am
Can you recommend where to buy shea butter online?
Selah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 4:17am
And also.....here is a recipe that is supposed to help hair grow. No proof but it is supposed to stimulate growth because of the various oils that are used.

This recipe is taken from a book that is "Aromatherapy for Mind & Body", by David & Carol Schiller which is a great book I found in a Used Books store.

Make A Base of:

2 Tablespoons Shea Butter
8 teaspoons jojoba oil

To this base add one of the following essential oil combinations (all of these oils are known to promote hair growth):
20 drops sandalwood
20 drops bois de rose (rosewood)

20 drops lavender
20 drops cedarwood (Atlas)

15 drops rosemary
15 drops lavender
10 drops myrrh

17 drops ylang-ylang
17 drops lemon
6 drops ginger

Selah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 3:38am
Here are some recipes that I have been saving forever.

Either I or my friends have tried all of these with good to great results for our hair.

Recipe For Oily Hair

12 fresh or frozen stawberries
Juice of 1 whole lemon (Real Lemon juice does not work as well although you can use in a pinch). Do not use on normal or dry hair since lemon can be drying.

Mix strawberries and lemon juice together in a blender until pureed.

Comb mixture evenly through scalp and hair, leaving on for 15-30 minutes.

Rinse, and shampoo thoroughly.

Dry Hair Recipe

1/2 banana
1 very ripe avocado, peeled with the pit removed
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 cup of honey (molasses is an optional substitue)
5 drops of coconut oil

Mix ingredients in a blender until a rich cream is formed. Massage the mix into your scalp and hair, working through to the ends. This can be messy and is best applied in a bathtub or show or with old towels to avoid stains.

Cover your head with plastic shower cap or Saran wrap. Place a hot wet towel over the plastic.

Leave on for 20-30 minutes. Rinse & then shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo.

Recipe For Dull Hair

Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
1/4 papaya, peeled
1 can of seltzer or club soda

Blend lemon juice and papaya together. Massage into hair.

For extra shine, leave on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse with seltzer or club soda.

Recipe For Fine or Limp Hair:

3 cups of brewed sage tea cooled to room temperature
(Sage tea is available in health food stores)

Shampoo hair as usual. Rinse clean. Before getting out of the shower, pour sage tea over scalp, and work through hair. Use a plastic bowl to catch the liquid and pour it over the hair as many times as possible.

For maximum body allow the hair to "brew" for 5 to 10 minutes before final rinsing with cool water.

It is always good to do a final rinse with cool/cold water to add shine.
GloryGirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2002 at 12:08am
Awesome. Thanks. I am really getting into all this Rosemary stuff. :-)
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2002 at 4:43pm
Hi all,

I thought I would add the Honey/Rosemary recipe here since we are on a Rosemary topic. This recipe can be used for hair or skin.

Honey is an all natural moisturizer & emollient. It is wonderful for softening the skin & the hair. Yes, it is extremely messy but if done correctly it works wonders for softening and removing dryness.

For The Face

To use as a face cleanser & softener keep a squirt bottle of honey near your shower. (I love the little honey bottles in the bears). After your face is completely wet, squirt a tiny blob of honey into your fingers and massage into your face. Let the honey soak into your warm skin for 3-5 minutes and then rinse. You will notice a definite softening of fine lines and dry patches. Honey creates a silky finish. Be careful not to get honey near your hair as it will get sticky and tangled.

Honey On Your Hair

Honey can be used a softening agent. It is very messy & sticky so if you are going to try it, apply the honey to your hair in the shower after you have first wet your hair.

Do not shampoo first, just wet your hair w/ warm water. Squeeze excess water out and then apply the honey to your ends and dry middle hair.

Leave on for 5-10 minutes and then rinse out. You can follow with a moiturizing shampoo and rinse out conditioner.

Rosemary/Honey Facial

Honey is a natural moisturizer and emollient. Rosemary is toning to the skin as is rose petals.

1/2 cup of honey
1 small handful of rosemary herbs or rosemary flowers (your choice)
Note: You can also substitue a few drops of rosemary essential oil.
1 small handful of rose petals (optional) or rose oil.

Mix the honey and the herbs and rose petals together. Store in a tight container w/ a lid in a warm dark place for 2-3 weeks.

Place the jar in a double boiler to gently heat. Use clean fingers to apply to newly washed skin on your face. The honey will feel tacky which is very good. This means that it is stimulating circulation. Be careful to avoid the eye area. Leave on the skin for 15-20 minutes.

Rinse well. Apply the moisturizer of your choice.

Best wishes,
Karen

PS.

If you want to "cheat" a little but still get the effect of Rosemary you can try Weleda`s Rosemary hair or bath oils. They are excellent.

http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=406
http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=902

Burt`s Bees also has a new Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar that is made with natural ingredients and has a good chunk of tingling rosemary.

http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=1120
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2002 at 4:31pm
Hi....

More on Rosemary.................

Rosemary is one of the few herbs that can be eaten as well as used as a cosmetic for the body, face and hair. It works well as an herb or an oil.

Rosemary is known to help darken gray hair over time (although not obvious for a long time) and it is considered to be a stimulant for the roots and the scalp.

Rumored to help grow hair faster & prevent pre-mature baldness (no scientific evidence to that at this point) it is also good for knocking out dandruff.

If you have blonde or light colored hair you may NOT want to try this recipe as it may darken your hair.

Anti-dandruff Shampoo Recipe

Rosemary works well to help with itchy scalps and for relieving dandruff.

Glass pots work best for this recipe.

1 cup of dried rosemary leaves (not stalks or other part of the rosemary) Use more or less rosemary according to personal tastes.
1 tablespoon of borax
1 quart of boiling water
10-20 Drops of Camphor

Place the dried rosemary leaves in the boiling water on a stove or heater. Bring to a boil, turn off and then steep in the pot for 6 hours. You can steep less time but the longer you steep the more concentrated the results.

Right before use add 10-20 drops of liquid camphor. You may want to start slowly since camphor can really blast open your sinuses and can make your eyes water if you inhale too much.

Store the mixture in a dark amber glass in the refrigerator. Heat just enough for your treatment. This will probably last 1 week or more. You can tell by smell.

Use a cotton ball and dip into a small cup of the liquid and saturate your itchy scalp or root area. If you prefer, wrap your hair in a plastic cup and let soap for 30 minutes.

The Rosemary scalp tonic can be applied every day or as desired. To darken hair you will need to apply as an overall rinse 3x a week.

I like to play with these types of recipes in the bathtub because it makes them so less messy. Also, rosemary is good for your skin so if it drinks into your bath water...no big deal.

The Rosemary can also be used an an all over final rinse. Use a plastic bowl to catch the liquid as it falls so you can rinse several times.

Facials

Add 1 tablespoon of the rosemary liquid formula to any facial. It helps with stimulating blood flow and circulation.

OR

Mix one tablespoon of rosemary with fresh yogurt and slather on your face as a yogurt/rosemary facial. The yogurt tightens the pore and the rosemary will add stimulation.

DO NOT USE this recipe on your face if you have roscea or other proneness to outbreaks. It can bring the blood to the surface and cause a rosecea reaction.

Body Treatment

You can pour the rosemary formula into your bath. It will help to add cirulation to tired muscles.

With White Wine

You can also simmer a handful of dried rosemary leave in a pint of white wine for 20 minutes. Strain out leaves and then splash on the body as a stimulating body wash. It will give you an instant refreshing wake-up call.

More rosemary recipes to follow.

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic