Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making Dreads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Highershadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highershadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Dreads
    Posted: January 06 2002 at 1:49am
Ok, so I am a guy, who wishes to try out dreadlocks. I have 9 inch, straight hair, which knots really easily, I might add :)! And I was wondering, how long will my hair be (take a guess) after it is mature. Oh, and I am think I am going to use the backcombing method. And what is the best wax to use? And the best soap? Thank you :D
mina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2002 at 8:12pm
GROSS !!!!!!!!!
what kind of a girl would go for a guy with deads it DIRTY!!!!
why dont u just brush ur hair a little more often or go for a shorter style
but hey up 2 u if u want and chicks to ****
GG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2002 at 8:03am
Mina

What an original response to dreads. I don`t wear them myself but I am off to get them done next week. I don`t know if you are black or white but I find your comments really offensive. Black hair is really hard to look after, it is not wash and go hair. People have dreads for different reasons I want to have them as I wear my hair natural in twists and I am tired of the amount of time it takes to do them 6 hours a week is pretty hard work.

Ok, some people with dreads have horrible smelly hair but that is the minority, black people spend more money and time on hair and beauty products than any other group.

I have seen some people with lovely dreads, and no they don`t smell in fact hair does not smell after a while if you stop washing it as it will clean itself. Dreads are not stuff and nasty they feel soft and springy and with a little bit of love look a whole lot better and are easier to maintain than natural black hair.

Of course, you are entitled to your views but try and think through your opinions before making them.

Regards
G
GG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2002 at 8:06am
Dear I want dreads, you will need to provide more information. How you start dreads depends on your hair type, if you are white than you do need to backcomb if you are black then there is the single and double twist method. Have you been to the dreadlocks.com site and the nappyhair website both these give loads of info. I am starting my dreds on Monday I will keep you posted if you are interested.

Regards
G
freekgirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freekgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2002 at 8:15pm
Dear "I WANT DREADS & Mr.G"
I would like dreads as well. I am a white girl, have black medium hair...don`t know lenght...no money and would like to do it myself. My hair tangles very easy. My hair is sorda funky....needs lots of care....I`ve done everything possible for treating my hair....new shampoo/conditionar once a month...but noticed once a week works a lot better! But still won`t tame it...I been thinking the dreads would do me some good! Start on teaching me how to care for my hair! How long would I need it to be....Can I have different lenghts of dreads....some dreads or do I have to have a whole head of dreads? I am extremly cerious...and how do you make them as well.
thanks
freekgirl
isaac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2002 at 2:23pm
Hey there,

What we do is a perm to start off natural dreadlocks.

It takes about 4 hours to do .

when you are done you have nice dreads.

Isaac
cyberparlor.com
Http://www.cyberparlor.com
damarcus View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2003 at 9:25am
i think that dreads are nice if you take care of them i starteds my dreds 4wks ago. my next dread appointment is in 2wks
i use apple cider vinger to help my hair not itch
plus i twist my hair with my fingers evryday and wear a silk scarf can u tell me if i am doing something wrong
Knowledge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2003 at 3:59pm
I've had dreads a few times (3 to be exact) and after exaustive online research i'd say that www.dreadheadhq.com is one of the best places for research on backcombing, care, washing and starting i've seen online. give the site a good read. it'll help.
Lioness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by freekgirl freekgirl wrote:

Dear "I WANT DREADS & Mr.G"
I would like dreads as well. I am a white girl, have black medium hair...don't know lenght...no money and would like to do it myself. My hair tangles very easy. My hair is sorda funky....needs lots of care....I've done everything possible for treating my hair....new shampoo/conditionar once a month...but noticed once a week works a lot better! But still won't tame it...I been thinking the dreads would do me some good! Start on teaching me how to care for my hair! How long would I need it to be....Can I have different lenghts of dreads....some dreads or do I have to have a whole head of dreads? I am extremly cerious...and how do you make them as well.
thanks
freekgirl

I have some white folks with dreads, and from I can tell, many of them do not twist, backcomb, or braid their hair. They just let it grow naturally, and it eventually starts to form locs. Many of them have locs that are down their backs, too.
You see, I would tell you to not do anything to your hair except to wash, rinse, shake and let dry naturally.
I am black and have thick dry hair/scalp. I have started letting my hair loc earlier this year. I don't do anything excessively to my hair anyway. I had locs three times before, but I had to cut off my locs because of job requirements (that was definitely a big mistake, right?).
See, dreadlocs are nothing more than just hair that is basically left to its own devices.
So, I would not be too worried at all about the how part. Just have some patience with your hair. And throw away your combs, brushes, curling irons, and hair rollers. Those things you don't need while letting your hair form locs. Just basic hair maintenance is all you really need.
I bid you much love.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Jestein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jestein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Knowledge Knowledge wrote:

I've had dreads a few times (3 to be exact) and after exaustive online research i'd say that www.dreadheadhq.com is one of the best places for research on backcombing, care, washing and starting i've seen online. give the site a good read. it'll help.

To the lady, whose question I have attempted to answer, if you would like to converse with me further, I will leave you my email address: Lioness82002@Yahoo.com. Peace and Love [QUOTE][/QUOTE]
JennaMH View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JennaMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 11:38pm
Personally, just to let the person know who said Dreads are gross, I think they are sexy, and obviously you must think your too good for something like dreadlocks and why would you be in this sections of the board thinga ma bobbys
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 7:45pm
dreads are sexy on some people thats when u take care of them...but for mina i think you on the wrong board girl if you dont like dreads this isnt the forum for you
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Ad_Caelum View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad_Caelum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2004 at 2:02pm
Whom it may concern,

The whole fact that you dont' wash your hair when you have dreads is an urban legend. In fact the oiler your hair is teh worse it is for your dreads. I know this from experience, and every book and site about growing dreads will back me up. I agree with everyone that says dreads are a easy solution to making your hair managable, but there is a long period of time where it is a pain, but once you have mature dreads, nothing beats it. My dreads are 8 inches long and I love them, they fit everything about me.... Don't let people say that dreads are not cool, cause personally a lot of girls like dreads, and it is a good way to get to know someone, cause there is always a curious hottie in the crowd.

Anyone who thinks dreads are for losers doesn't truely respect the fact that people that have dreads are more secure with themselves than any abercrombie hair-cut.

If you have any questions about growing dreads please e-mail me I am happy to help those that want to sport the do:).

Mgkeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mgkeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Lioness Lioness wrote:

I have some white folks with dreads, and from I can tell, many of them do not twist, backcomb, or braid their hair. They just let it grow naturally, and it eventually starts to form locs. Many of them have locs that are down their backs, too.
You see, I would tell you to not do anything to your hair except to wash, rinse, shake and let dry naturally.
I am black and have thick dry hair/scalp. I have started letting my hair loc earlier this year. I don't do anything excessively to my hair anyway. I had locs three times before, but I had to cut off my locs because of job requirements (that was definitely a big mistake, right?).
See, dreadlocs are nothing more than just hair that is basically left to its own devices.
So, I would not be too worried at all about the how part. Just have some patience with your hair. And throw away your combs, brushes, curling irons, and hair rollers. Those things you don't need while letting your hair form locs. Just basic hair maintenance is all you really need.
I bid you much love.

Wierd i heard doing it that way takes years, and the dreads end up diff sizes some fat, some skinny, etc.

If i am wrong, then tell me more about this plz. Like do i shampoo my hair when im doing this?? Or soap it, or what?? Im pretty sure its impossible to dread beautifully conditioned hair lol.

And since im a lazy bum who doesnt wanna spend 10's of hrs backcombing, and months of waiting for them to completely lock, are there certain salons that i can go to, and also what method should they be using on my hair?? (dont wanna gbet ripped off ya know)
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 7:08am
You should definitely find your self a salon that specializes in dreads, if you want them to look great right from the start and you're willing to pay for an expert's skills. They'll tell you how to take care of it, everything.

I know that if I didn't brush my hair, it would be completely matted up in a week. Really gross looking, not at all like attractive dreads.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
emilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 11:42am
itll take your hair up a few inches.
not a whole lot. but it will take a
while before your dreads start looking
like remotely nice dreads.
my husband had them last year &
i did ALL of the maintnance on them.
not easy! it's alot of work to get
them to look good. we used the
dreadheadhq stuff as well, the wax
& shampoo.. but i highly recommend
finding someone to help you get
them going that is willing to have
patience & help keep the tight &
tame .. for at least 2hours every
3days to a week..
goodluck!!
Bedoyita View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedoyita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2004 at 3:22am
Hi Higershadow!

I'm a girl whith dreadlocks and i'll try to help you the best i can.

To make my dreadlocks i use the "twist and rip" method and works great. You can combine both methods, backcomb and twist and rip.

Keep in mind that you will loose approx. 30% of your hair lenght when you make dreadlocks.

Never use any kind of wax in your dreadlocks, it doesn't help in any way, it just keep the hair togheter and lubricated without giving it a chance to form knots. (Also wax is gross, it build up in your hair, you'll always feel your face and neck sticky, it attracts a lot of dust and dirty and it's almost impossible remove it from the hair, you'll need to use very very hot water and an industrial detergent).

When you make your dreadlocks the best thing you can do is wash your hair every 8 days for a month using woman nylons over your head and scrubing your scalp only through the nylons, don't mess much with the dreadlocks. It will give your dreadlocks a chance to stablish themselves and they will not untangle.
After the first month pass you can wash your hair twice a week the 5th week, three times at week the 6th week and so untill you finish washing your hair one day yes one day no. Never wash your dreadlocks daily because they are like an sponge, keeps a lot of water inside them and you can get mold and your hair will stink very awful.

Don't use any normal shampoo to wash dreadlocks because they have conditioners and leave residues that destroy dreadlocks. You need to use a shampoo or soap bar that doesn't leave anything in your hair.
You can use the purifier shampoo from Neutrogena or a soap bar called Acanid (very cheap and is wonderfull for dreadlocks).

Another thing that you can do (and really helps a lot):
Put rubberbands in the tips and the roots of each dreadlock. Don't tight too much the rubberbands in your roots, just a little bit (if you can move them up and down in your roots with two fingers they're perfect).

You can also use a solution of 3 tablespoons of sea salt (not the normal table salt) diluted in 200 ml. of purified water. Spray it over your dreadlocks only and twice a week and leave them dry with the sea salt solution on them. After they're are dry palmroll each dreadlock (as if you were playing with playdoh). Palmroll helps a LOT too, it help to tight dreadlocks.

Also helps sleep with a women nylon's over your head, it'll make your dreadlocks tight and keep away fluffs of the sheets or pillow away of your dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks aren't an instant hair stile, they require a little bit of efford at the beginning (first 4-6 weeks) but once they mature a little are almost maintenance free, you'll just need to have them clean, palmroll them once in a while and condition them if they start to look dry.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:56pm
Chayah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chayah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 7:39am
How fast your locks mature depends on the length, texture, and thickness of your hair. Normally it takes between 3-8 months before they are fairly mature. I have had mine for about 2 1/2 months and they are tightening and shrinking, but still have loops and uneven places. So I bet in about 2 more months they will be fairly mature. I use Proclaim wax (only cost about 2 dollars at Sally's) and Proclaim bands, I use DreadHead HQ accellerator and shampoo - both really help the dreads to lock faster. Good luck if you decide to do it - if you are doing it for fashion I can't speak much on the subject, but if you are doing for deeper, spiritual reason, I can tell you that locks will open your eyes and teach you things that you never knew hair could teach you! One Love.

Chayah
quicky View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 8:29pm
Maybe this will help passify you till your dreads mat/form.
Check out http://www.drlocks.net
There's demos if that's the route you'd be interested in.
I'm ordering the ponytail...I change my style too much to commit to one look!
Good Luck
PS- Mina.... dreaeds are hot...bad hygene is not
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic