Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new year`s resolution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new year`s resolution
    Posted: January 23 2001 at 8:30pm
I am 21, and resolved in December to let my hair grow long. It used to be down to my waist, but when I went to college I cut it all off... literally. I am now in the process of growing out a short pixie cut! Luckily, my hair tends to grow fast, and it is very thick and wavy. It`s already grown an inch since I resolved to stop cutting it, in early December. Now it`s a weird cross between a pixie and a shag and my bangs go down to my nose when I straighten them (they curl.) Like someone else on this board (meg?) I too look good in a short cut, but also with long hair. (Actually, since I have an oval face, most hairstyles look ok... the problem right now is that I don`t have a style, per se!) For about three years, I loved my pixie and didn`t regret cutting it in the least, but all of a sudden I find myself longing for long hair again, and so I have determined to grow it out again.
I`m not very impulsive once I`ve made up my mind - I am very stubborn, so when I decide something, it`s decided! However, I do wail and rant and feel glum when my hair is being awful, so support would be good to have.
I am taking Hair vitamins and B-complex, which I have heard are good, and eating a protein-rich diet (hair is made of protein, after all), and I know once summer comes, the growth should accelerate even more. Thank goodness, otherwise I fear my sanity would suffer!
Good luck to all of you ladies.
meg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2001 at 10:42pm
Reply to message: 24.77.1
Hi Sara! Oh I`ve been in the bathroom trying to do something with this growing out layered *thing*!! Driving me nuts... I`ve decided to not only grow my hair long, I am also going to get it into really healthy condition. You see, I`ve frosted for years. The color looks really good right now, but those pesky dark roots are showing more each day. I am not going to take good care of it and then go and frost it and burn it up again, so I`m really in a transition. Mine is in a layered shag. I like the shag look, it just works really well for me. But it`s like with it growing out from a shorter shag, the front looks pretty good, but the back is horrid! I am at a crossroads really. I do not want to cut it, no way, but I`m afraid that I am not going to be able to live with that back looking so horrid. It`s just the main bottom really, it wouldn`t take much off, but still, I do not want to cut a single hair. I am in the mood to let it grow and I don`t want to touch it. Maybe I could just get it shaped, I don`t know. Do you have any suggestions?? I`m glad that I found this board cuz I need all the support that I can get.........:) Meg
Sara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2001 at 11:41pm
Poor meg! Yes, I have an easier time because my hair is already really healthy, so I probably won`t even have to get a trim for months - plus, it`s wavy/thick, so the waves sort of disguise the worst of the growing out. I still can`t wait for it to be long, though... sigh.
One thing I use is to just pull as much of my hair back as I can in my hands, sort of bundle it, and anchor it with one of those clawed clip things (do you know what I mean -I have no clue what they`re called!) I can`t put it up in a ponytail yet, but that does at least get it out of my way so I don`t feel it being dreadful!
All my support to you, my dear! Don`t give in and cut!
sara
Rowena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2001 at 3:31pm
How long are you growing it to this time? Are you going to go for waist length again or are you going to go slightly shorter or longer? If you`re going for waist length again after having a pixie cut it`s going to take a while - don`t know if I would have the patience! Good luck though, and keep at it!
Mr. Rapunzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Rapunzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2001 at 5:05pm
Reply to message: 24.77.1
Sara,
You`ve come to the right place for support! Based on my wife`s experience, get trims every 10-12 weeks to help you cope with the concern of not having a "style, per se" during the grow-out phase. It will at least have some shape and not become uneven, preventing any temptation to return to the short pixie cut. My wife cut her hair from mid-back length to a short pixie cut 2 to 3 inches all over in April 1998 (mostly to please her grandmother!) She immediately began growing it out. Like you, her hair is very thick and grows fast, though without as much wave. Now, less than 3 years later, it is 17 inches long from the crown straight down her back, more than halfway to her goal of waistlength. The time will fly for you, too, and before you know it your hair will be to and below your shoulders and beyond. Good luck!!
Sara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2001 at 5:30pm
Thanks, Mr. Rapunzel (cool name, by the way!). I truly do hope the time will fly! Rowena, I am aiming for about bra length, though I`ll be happy as soon as it gets to my shoulders. I might go longer once there, who knows!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2001 at 9:59pm
Reply to message: 24.88.1
Hi Sara,

Thanks for sharing your hair growing journey with us.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic