Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ambush Makeover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ambush Makeover
    Posted: September 26 2003 at 7:35pm
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2003 at 6:11am
HEy! I didn''''t know this show was that popular. The girl who does my hair - Stacey - Works at Tribeca Salon here in Tampa Florida - She and 2 others (color and makeup) in her salon were filmed this past Saturday for Ambush Makeover!! it will be airing this season, but they couldn''''t tell her exactly when.Jacqui
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2003 at 9:34am
If you were ambushed, would you say yes?
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2003 at 10:26am
This show is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I take issue with a few things about it, but for whatever reason, I can't stop watching.

One time, they went to Boystown in Chicago and took this 20-year-old hippie chick and put her in this outfit that made her look almost matronly, and her makeup was kind of overdone. Now, IMHO, her before look was so much nicer. But my opinions aside, it doesn't seem to occur to the ambush team that some people take pride in not exactly looking like Vogue models. And very frankly, you're going to find a lot of people like that in Boystown, home to vintage shops, used record stores, and Chicago's largest gay and lesbian community. So on top of the conventional look that she wasn't really selling or thrilled about, her brother, who IIRC was kind of goth, refused to show up at the end-of-day "reunion" because he was mad at her for selling out. Granted, she could have said no. But I also thought that they bullied her into a lot.

That said, I do enjoy the makeovers of women who just haven't had the time to pamper themselves. As long as the ambush team doesn't try to change anyone's personal style (because as I just said, those makeovers never go well), I enjoy watching.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2003 at 11:48am
These shows are less about the people getting makeovers and more about you, the viewer. The idea is to make an entertaining show. If you're happy, they'll stay on the air.

Stylists decide what's fashionable, whether it be hair or clothing. And the public votes. If people don't buy it, it doesn't matter whether the stylists recommend it. Bangs are in with celebs, but I don't see many people adopting bangs where I live. And I live in a city obsessed with style.

This show wants people to say no. They feature several before they get a yes. I read an article in one paper written by a woman who said yes. They started taking her to the salon when the producer indicated they had too many people who wanted to do it. They asked her to redo the encounter and make stuff up to say no. How lame. Anyone who agrees to a makeover has to be excited that an expert will give them a makeover for free. Then they say no.

If this women didn't want a change, she could have said no. She decided to give it a try. Who cares if her brother thinks this is a betrayel? She doesn't have to wear the clothes or make-up tomorrow and hair grows out. She decided to try it and she can keep the look or change it if she wants.

We should all be so lucky to have an expert give us their opinion on our look or any other aspect of our life. Personally, I'd have no problem being ambushed, although I don't want to be on TV.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 4:32am
That show doesn't seem to come on my television :-( . Pooh. I like makeover shows, except I always end up yelling at the TV that they never make women's hair short enough. . .
If someone ambushed me for a makeover, I'd probably agree so long as they didn't make me wear heels. My feet don't work well with heels. If they put make-up or skirts on, I could just take them off later. And there's nothing to worry about them not going short enough on hair, since mine's pretty short as it is, so I figure I'd be pretty safe.
More awesome than a manatee!
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 9:36am
Kuro, I understand you like short hair, but the truth is they tend to emotionally black mail anyone with long hair to ge it hacked short. ALWAYS. I don't think I've seen anyone escape with their hair long.

Also, On Jenny Jones makeovers, nobody comes out with either bleached blonde or funky colour hair, they always dye it a dark red or brown.
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 9:39am
Gah... nearly all of them had their hair cut short. Why can't they just leave it alone?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic