Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I hate to say it....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nemo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hate to say it....
    Posted: February 04 2004 at 1:13pm
I do agree that some of these reality shows-especially the dating ones are getting too carried away. I do love Big Brother, American Idol, and Fear Factor, but that's about it. The whole reality seen is getting a little tired.
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 11:39pm
I guess I'm somewhat sheltered from all the reality TV shows. Being in Germany, through the cable we have here, we get just the really popular ones, Survivor and the Bachelor. Occasionally we get another, but it doesn't seem to last.

But, I see on the News and such, and read on the Interent about all of the different ones. I think they're taking it all too far. Some shows like Survivor and Real World on MTV I like, but others are just cheesey for me.
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 11:09pm
I agree with you I don't like these shows either.
You must remember though that the majority of Americans these days actually aren't urban artist types or sophisticates.

The majority today in America live in the suburbs and a significant minority are hicks from the sticks. It is to the less sophisticated types, (not wealthy, educated yuppies, or urban artists or sophisticates), that this show really appeals to. It appeals to the dumber elements of working class and middle class masses( not that all of the American middle and working classes are dumb. It doesn't appeal to all of them). The McDonalds eaters, beer drinking slobs of America with weight problems and too many bills to pay because they are living beyond their means. It appeals to them.

The good news is that these fads never last. It just goes from one thing to another. In previous eras like in my grandparents time, they had westerns galore.
Then in my mom's generation they had the corny cop shows all over the place, Barretta, Kojak, Starsky and Hutch, the Mod Squad, all that stuff you see on reruns.
Now it's these dumb reality t.v. shows.

The really good television and movies stand the test of time, like Martin Scorcese flicks or Alfred Hitchcock t.v. shows.
Aoecean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aoecean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 7:31pm
Reality TV has killed reality...It has made TV a joke and misrepresented most people. Most of us are from urban areas and don't live in Yuppy decadence. I want scripted TV back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic