Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would Pantene Work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lanie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would Pantene Work?
    Posted: February 25 2003 at 9:20am

I have such strange hair, I swear! I'm Asian and my hair is dry, frizzy and it does the strangest thing everytime I wash it...it curls out on the bottom, giving me a '50s look. What products should I use to make my hair more soft, shiny and less frizzy? A friend suggested Pantene's smooth and sleek shampoo/conditioner..what do you think?

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 9:44am
Hi Lanie,

Prepare for a LOT of mixed reviews on Pantene! It's a very polarizing brand--some people love it and others would rather pour motor oil on their heads. This is due mostly to Pantene's high silicone content, which will NOT harm your hair as some will tell you but can cause marked buildup with repeated use.

However, dry, frizzy hair can benefit from silicone derivatives (dimethicone, cyclomethicone, phenyl trimethicone, etc.) Silicone enhances hair's shine and smoothness by coating the hair shaft. It is preferable to heavier oils (unless your hair is bone dry) because it doesn't weigh hair down as much or impart such a greasy sheen.

This specific Pantene shampoo contains ammonium laureth sulfate as its primary surfactant detergent--not the mildest cleanser but not the harshest either. Personally I would recommend a shampoo with sodium laureth sulfate instead. Redken All Soft and the Loreal Vive line are great for dry hair.

Smooth and Sleek conditioner can cause buildup but is also an alternative for dry hair. I suggest trying it for a week and seeing if you like it. I believe Pantene has a money-back guarantee, though I don't know from first-hand experience. Some stores will let you return hair products if they fail to live up to their promises.

If you want more in-depth opinions on this specific Pantene line, I recommend checking out epinions.com. As one of the site's "top reviewers," (that sounds so pretentious, but that's what they call it) I can tell you that they require writers to thoroughly analyze each product. Try these links for reviews on the shampoo and conditioner (neither of which I reviewed though...sorry! :-)

http://www.epinions.com/beat-Hair_Care-Shampoo-All-Pantene_Smooth_Sleek/display_~reviews

http://www.epinions.com/beat-Hair_Care-Conditioner-All-Pantene_Smooth_Sleek_Conditioner/display_~reviews
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Carole View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 12:01pm
Hi Lyris,

I agree with you about Pantene. Such mixed reviews. A lot depends on the hair type and condition whether the product will help or hurt. Yes, it can be drying but on some hair types it is fine. Like you said, it depends on who you talk to.

The secret I have learned from hanging out here at HB and lots of other hair sites is to find a product and routine that works for your hair type and then take everything else with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the link to eopinions. I did not know about the site before your links.

Carole
minnesotamommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnesotamommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 9:40am
No, I don't think Pantene would do it

This post was deleted in part and edited by HairBoutique.com staff.....................it is our goal at HB to spare our posters from advertisements here on the HairTalk Messageboards.

Please....we do not allow our boards to be used for selling or promoting products.....all sales focused posts will be edited or removed.

Thanks for helping us with this.

HairBoutique.com

Thanks for coming by.

www.geocities.com/bottomsupphotos
/main.html
snapplegum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapplegum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2003 at 4:25am
i have the same problem! lol sometimes Pantene makes my hair really really silky and soft but then it gets all frizzy afterwards. And it dooes feel like there's like something on my hair now that i think of it. Sometimes my hair feels icky though like it's really pasty. I suggest using a defrizzing product rather then this. I think there was a company called Defrizz or something but it has a whoole line of defrizzing products like shampoo and conditioner and serum and such. I use the wind down which straightens your hair and defrizzes and the serum to make it sleek but not frizzy. Blowdry straight or leave it on until its 75% dry then blowdry. Hope this helps!
*lub ya lots* RuThi

never give up if you still wanna try
never wipe ur tears if you still wanna cry
never settle for that answer if you still wanna kno
never say you dont like him if you cant let him go..

DarkFalcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkFalcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 8:27am
Originally posted by snapplegum snapplegum wrote:

i have the same problem! lol sometimes Pantene makes my hair really really silky and soft but then it gets all frizzy afterwards.

Thats exactly what happens with my hair when I use pantene. Silky when wet, big bush when dry. Any other shampoos go: Ok when wet (not too silky, just a little) and big bush when dry... :(
"Come not between the nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured and thy shrivelled mind left naked to the lidless eye.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic