Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dyeing asian hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dyeing asian hair
    Posted: March 26 2003 at 4:50am
Hello! I'm wondering how many of you asians dye your hair other than what you have naturally?

Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing people saying "why change your hair color? your hair is beautiful!" or "are you trying to be white?" or "oh it's better to stick within 2 shades of your natural color".

I never denied the fact I am asian and have no problems with my asian identity. It seems some people have problems with me dyeing my hair, esp. blonde. I've dyed in almost all colors from red to purple.

I mean, look at MANY celebrities, mostly natural brunettes, dye their hair blonde.

It's true not everyone can pull off with blonde hair. It depends on a person's features and skintone. I don't look good at all with golden or yellow tones, but if it's colored with ash or beige, then it becomes suitable.

I like it best when I had light brown with blonde highlights. People said I looked way cuter with this look. But sometimes I like unnatural look like having all over light ash blonde hair. After all, it's just hair and anyone can tell I'm asian. Why should we be any different from other groups who do it all the time? :)

I'm just curious what you guys think?
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2003 at 1:09pm
I'm not Asian, I'm Mexican-American but like many Asian people I am a brunette with jet black hair.

Only rarely have I seen natural brunettes who look better with blonde or light brown hair than with their natural dark hair. Or visa versa. My fiancee has light hair and he wouldn't look good with dark hair.

Personally I have never colored my hair I like it the color it is. But you have to do what you think is best for yourself. You may be an exception, you may look great in lighter hair.

As far as people being critical of you for not being true to your "Asian roots" by coloring your hair, it seems to me that women of every race, (and some men), color their hair these days. You see it everywhere. Too much really, at least in my estimation.That is really a non-issue with most people unless they are "politically correct" to an extreme. I wouldn't worry about that.

To me people just usually look better in their natural color, it goes along with their natural skin color and overall look beter.

But I'm sure you know best for yourself.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
Lady Maria
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2003 at 2:48pm
Hi Beachgerl

I am of Arab/Pakistani/Afgani descent and have thick, coarse, black (& a fair amount of white) hair.
In my teens and twenties I have had maroon tints, chestnut highlights, henna reds and all sorts of colours and styles in my hair. This was mainly due to experimentation, boredom and restlessness. Also, it was a good deal of fun at the time. No way was it an attempt to deny or alter my racial identity.
I am now “au naturel” and quite happy with the way my hair and skin are changing with age and complementing each other.

Anyway, this whole racial identity thing is rather dubious.
I have known people who bleach both their hair and their skin and take on a persona that is more “white”, including a rejection of their own origin and culture. This type of behaviour strongly suggests that they are uncomfortable being who they naturally are, that there is an internal struggle going on and the battleground for this struggle includes the outward appearance.

I suggest that if you truly are not seeking to “become” more like, or acceptable to, another race – if your hair colouring odyssey is truly creative expression - than ignore what everyone else may say or think. You are operating from a position of personal integrity and conscious choice.
If you are feeling at all insecure in your racial/cultural reality, take some time out. Be patient with yourself. Think deeply about the reasons behind your feelings and be honest with yourself regarding the possible outcomes of your actions to be something/one you are not and never will be.

Best wishes

Uzma
Uzi

Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 7:36pm
I agree with everything Maria and Uzma said. Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you like, politics and cultural purity need not stop you from being an individual on such matters as hairstyle or color.
I would add only one thing: ----------If you are with a guy right now what does he think? Not that you have to change your hair color or style for him but it would be interesting to know what he thought.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 8:19pm
Ditto to all of you. I agree everyone can do any color if only they knew the technique. I am happy with my copper blonde hair and planning to have it colured again. But you really must be brave to have you hair in exotic colours. Brings way to much attention unless you want them.
ARGHH
Lucinda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucinda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2003 at 1:02am
I am part Asian and part Hispanic. I have played with streaking my hair. My problem is my Asian grandmother who gets slightly freaked out that I look punk and less than a traditional Asian female. She is in her 80s and so I try to understand her position but I agree that you have to follow your own head and heart when it comes to your hair and its color.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 8:15pm
Thanks to you all who responded. I agree with most of what you said. Actually, I think natural look is beautiful for most people, but, being young, I get bored so I dye my hair as a way to combat boredom lol. I'm an artist and I work in creative field, so that gives me more freedom to look unnatural and I like "out of ordinary" stuff. However, I don't plan dyeing my hair forever... I probably would stop when I'm in my 40s and later and just return to natural looks because I want to look younger when I become older! :) Who knows? Yes, having long platinum blonde hair is very very conspicious and I felt self-conscious. It's okay for people like Pamela Anderson, but not someone like me lol.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 5:18am
I'm not Asian, but I have an Asian friend and I think asian girls are pretty =)

Actually I really like their hair I'd love to have that kind of hair but I think that many of them would suit it better if they dyed it some other colour than that browny colour, I think that blonde pic looks very unique beachgerl.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Vineman Vineman wrote:

Actually I really like their hair I'd love to have that kind of hair but I think that many of them would suit it better if they dyed it some other colour than that browny colour, I think that blonde pic looks very unique beachgerl.

Thank you! Many people've had commented on my looks. They were amazed because not too many asians or some people in general can get away with this shade lol.

Actually, there are some asians who are very gorgeous brunettes (either black or brown hair), think of Zhang Ziyi and Ling Liu. The majority of asians look good with black, brown or auburn shades than blonde.

Only exceptions I've seen are Tila Nyugen and very few others who do look good as blondes. Very few do. It all depends on personality, skintone and features to go with blonde hair. But everyone is entitled to try anything radical at least once!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 4:58pm
Beachgerl. are you Swedish! You not only have platinum hair that looks natural without dark roots showing but your complexion looks fair. Are you sure you are Asian!

Just joking of course. You look great Beachgerl. I believe you may be one of the exceptions to my rule that people look better in their natural color of hair. You are just darling with your platinum look!

I bet you look great brunette too!
Lady Maria
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 1:35am
Hehehehehe Lady Maria!!
You are too funny !!!
ROFLMAO!!
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 9:31am
Uzma,

What does ROLFMAO mean? I've seen people use that word before.
Lady Maria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 9:32am
I meant to write ROFLMAO. What does that word mean?
Lady Maria
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 9:34am
It means "Rolling on the floor laughing my *ss off".
He he - not very lady-like, I know.
Uzi

Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 5:36pm
beachgerl:

I truly find attractive dark- haired Asian lovelies, I do love those ladies, so much in fact that I married one.
I must admit however you are quite enchanting with your platinum-blonde/off white locks. About as blonde as you can get without having white hair(and please don't bleach it white, keep it the nice platinum-blonde color you have now, that's plenty light enough).
I bet you cause quite a stir on the beach, Beachgerl !
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 3:50am
Wow....
You do look good beachgirl :)
How do you ever keep you hair healthy.
You are one brave person. Not many asian I know will dye their hair platinum. But you definitely look good. But do tell us all how do you keep htat hair looking goergoeus
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 3:16pm
Thank you, Lady Maria! LOL.

claribuzz, I had to use lots of reconstructing treatments (Nexxus Emergencee is tops) and moisturizer (Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisturizer) to keep my hair in tip top shape. On other days, I use hot oil treatments. Plus, out of shower, I also use L'Oreal Nature Therapy Mega Moisture creme and glossing polish as leave-in treatments for shine and moisture every time. I hate it if my hair looked so dry or straw-like, which is the actual condition, so I make sure it's well moisturized (bleached hair lacks lots of moisture and protein). It also doesn't hurt to have very thick, coarse texture hair.

I'm telling you, platinum blonde hair is high, high maintenance. You'll have to do root touchups every 3-4 weeks. I'd not recommend it to anyone, especially those who are naturally dark haired or don't look good with blonde hair. It was fun for me for a while. I didn't remain platinum blonde very long. At least I did try everything once. ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 8:03pm
beachgerl,

You are no longer platinum blonde?

Did you go back to your original brunette color of hair?
Lady Maria
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Lady Maria Lady Maria wrote:

beachgerl,

You are no longer platinum blonde?

Did you go back to your original brunette color of hair?

Yes, I'm back to brunette and happy about the low maintenance. So I'll stick to brunette hair. :)
joec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 12:20am
Beach girl
Blonde on asian,makes a bold statement,if thats the effect your looking for thats what you will get.
Wich is just fine in the U.S.A,particuliarly in a job such as artist beutician,photogrpher,etc-etc.
In the orient it may be looked upon as odd,or reckless.
As for me I like to see bold steps in womens haircolor,as long as it compliments features,and not overwelms them.
Wich I cant see in your case.I hope I've helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic