Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair tonic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair tonic
    Posted: April 25 2003 at 5:18am
anybody heard about this Japanese hair tonic called "KAMINOMOTO"?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 1:17pm
Never heard of it.

What's in it and what does it purport to do for the hair?

I'd be interested to know, if anyone can enlighten us.
Uzi

papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 3:01pm
I got curious so I did a search. I found a website that was only in Japanese, but it looks like it's a company that makes beauty (including hair) products.

Altho, specific to the hair tonic, I did find this: Kaminomoto Hair Tonic. It looks like the only place I can find it is in Singapore. The ingredients are rather interesting. Isn't Salicyclic Acid used in acne medication? I'm not sure I'd want that in my scalp.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 3:32pm
Salicylic acid is indeed used in low concentrations as a blemish treatment and, from what I have read, can degrade the hair shaft over time, though this product probably doesn't have enough of it to do that.

Either way, the first ingredient listed in this tonic is denatured alcohol--NOT the coconut-derived fatty alcohols like cetyl, stearyl and cetearyl which are good conditioning agents. This can dry out your hair and scalp with repeated use. Also problematic for the scalp is menthol, which produces a tingling feeling but is a skin irritant. I definitely wouldn't use this product on my own head; yikes!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 1:41am
started using it yesterday. it says here that it consists of Kamigen E+K which restores proper scalp function by stimulating blood circulation and also activates segmentation of the hypodermic cells for re-growth.

it's in liquid form, greenish in color, alcohol base as it dries quickly after i apply it. smells really strong like a cheap perfume, even find myself holding my breath when applying it lol

well, hope it'll help me with my falling hair although it's not really excessive. i just freak out everytime i see some hairs on my pillow when i wake up.

"We have both lost ourselves, but sometimes we reveal the most when we are least like ourselves."
-Anais Nin
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 1:41am
will get back after a few weeks to report for the result :)
"We have both lost ourselves, but sometimes we reveal the most when we are least like ourselves."
-Anais Nin
joec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2004 at 11:54pm
Salicilic acid is also used in the automtive industry under the brand name stop leak wich is put into leaky radiator,and it stops leaks!
Its a liquid or crystal mixed with water,that drys hard as glass.
I have no idea why it's in a hair care product?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic