Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese hair straightening questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese hair straightening questions
    Posted: August 04 2003 at 5:20pm
Hello.

Just wondering what your experiences are with Japanese or any Asian hair straightening questions:

1. How long does it last?

2. What happens when new hair grows out? Does it also look straight? I think it would look quite bizarre with wavy/curly hair on top and straight at the bottom.

3. Is there any damaging effects from it? Any maintenance that needs to be done afterwards? I am very much so a wash and go person and am hoping this will suit me.

4. Any good and inexpensive places to get this done in New York City?

Oh yeah, I'm Indian. I have very thick, and wavy hair but want it to be perfectly straight. :)

Cheers.
yvonne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yvonne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 1:54am
on japanese hair straightening...

the straight perm is a perm, afterall which means it doesn't go away. it's de-ionizing or something to make it straight from root to tip. which means no blow drying needed or combing at all really for that matter.

yes, as all perms do, it does grow up. meaning the roots will be fuzzy if you have curly hair. it's kind of a pain cuz when you go for your 2nd straightening, it often messes up sorta your first straightening (but the hair remains still a whole lot straighter than it would be if you hadn't done anything to it)

there are a couple things to watch out for tho...it's really dries your hair out, so you're usually suggested NOT to wash your hair for 3 days after the straightening in order to replenish the natural oils of your hair and also let the straightening take to the hair

this definitely works on indian hair, i've had a friend who got it done and it turned out really well.

in NYC, there are those pro salons that now do it for like 300, but i suggest you check out chinatown or korean places cuz they'll be cheaper and prolly have more actual experience doing it
korean girlie...~~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korean girlie...~~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2004 at 10:24pm
1. How long does it last? :it doesn't go away..it start to fade after 6 months

2. What happens when new hair grows out? Does it also look straight? I think it would look quite bizarre with wavy/curly hair on top and straight at the bottom.
yes..my friend and i got it done..she had.. curly hair naturally and it looks like a mess now...unless u wanna start getting it straightened for the rest of ur life....go righ ahead
3. Is there any damaging effects from it? Any maintenance that needs to be done afterwards? I am very much so a wash and go person and am hoping this will suit me. no..u do not have to care for it..it is so great now..i am a rush and go person.. so like yur hair doesn't get all frizzy if u don't dry it....i luv this straightening...

4. Any good and inexpensive places to get this done in New York City?
yes many places...go to any japanese or korean salon....or if u have a japanese or korean friend...ask them to help you...i am korean but i live in georgia...i got mine done in buford, georgia

Oh yeah, I'm Indian. I have very thick, and wavy hair but want it to be perfectly straight. in ur case...i would go to a kroean salon with a handful of 400 dollars or a credit car....and get it done every 6 months....sry...but u have no choice if u wanna get it done...
aznmitsugrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aznmitsugrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2005 at 9:32pm
i dunno if anyone's still following this post, but i had the straightening done, and it was wonderful.. yeah it dries your hair out and you can't wash for 3 days, but that's fine... i have long thick hair and only wash it every other day anyways.... i had it done in korea for about 30 bucks, it took about 4-5 hours (remember, really long hair), and i had the same results for about a year... my hair takes to a perm really well, despite it being very thick, frizzy, and wavy. it looked great and had high shine.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2005 at 10:06am
two indian girls i know in my college got it done, they look great with their smooth silky black hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic