Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frustrating Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LiLxPsYcHoxKaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiLxPsYcHoxKaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frustrating Hair
    Posted: December 11 2003 at 5:08pm
Hi everybody! I'm new, as you might tell, and don't be fooled by the "strange" screenname. I have a real problem with my hair and it frustrates me so, hence the subject title.

I have thick coarse hair and it never is straight. It's frizzy too but I don't really want to use hairspray and gel because it's got alcohol in it. My hair is parted to the right and sometimes my bangs go really wavy and away from the rest of the hair and totally ruins my hairstyle.

The main problem, however, is that my ears stick out. If I wear my hair in a ponytail it really makes me look silly. How can I use the ears to my advantage instead of making me look like a fool? I would really appreciate it very much!! Thank you in advance all.
With a moo moo here and a moo
moo there, here a moo there a moo
everywhere a moo moo!
Veiled Lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veiled Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 1:49pm
My hair is very straight, completely straight and black. I wear it short.
If your ears stick out more than you like you can of course get surgery to pin them back.
Shy of that, you can either wear your hair long and cover them, wear your hair short but get a style just long enough to cover your ears, or do as I often do and wear a headscarf and arraign the scarf in a way that it just goes over the top of your ears then tie it back gypsy style.
Modesty and Submissiveness is a
virtue
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 4:53am
I've ALWAYS found myself thoroughly frustrated by my asian-natured hair. To clarify, that's straight, black, thick and incredibly rigid hair.

Pardon me if I am mistaken, but comparatively speaking, there is hardly anything thing you can do with asian hair. Caucasian people are allowed more flexibility in what they can do with their hair - they are virtually suited to all hair colours from start to end of the spectrum. It makes me very jealous.

Furthermore it is the very nature of our hair to be stiff, rigid and impossible to control. It means while short it sticks out (inevitably giving the "electric" look") and if left long it becomes very uncomfortable as it is hard to part the hair away from the face. Sometimes I fancy perming it.

Now I'm a guy (and a straight one at that) - so solutions involving delicate hair products and loads of time aren't quite the thing for me.

I just wish there was a way around asian hair!

Comments? Suggestions? All of which would be very much appreciated.
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 11:42am
I'm not Asian but there are so many beautiful Asian women with long straight hair.
And if you are a guy who is growing his hair long, just get it cut in a way so that it doesn't hang in your face. I mean c'mon, there are many Asians with cool looking hair!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 11:44am
I think Asian women look cute in short pixies and bob cuts too!
Asian guys look cool if they grow those Fu Manchu goatees.
Veiled Lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veiled Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 3:08pm
I'm Chinese-American and I have never felt my hair was a problem to deal with no matter what length I wore it and I have worn it at all lenghts.
Modesty and Submissiveness is a
virtue
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 4:08am
Well...it helps to hear that girls.

But I'm still open to any suggestions. I guess what I really want is control over my hair. Even the strongest hair products would have difficulty taming my hair!

Oh, and just as well, although this mightn't be the appropriate thread, I've been experimenting with different eye colours through te use of contact lenses - after trying everything, it seems asians are limited to browns, greys and possibly greens. Can you help me out here?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 1:27pm
Why would you want to wear contact lenses of different eye colors? Wouldn't it look strange for an Asian to have blue eyes for example, unless you are of mixed race heritage.

I wouldn't worry about your hair. Just get a hair cut that looks good on you. If you get a good haircut, it shouldn't matter whether you have "Asian" hair or "Caucasion" hair. And grow one of those Fu Manchu goatees and miustaches, Asian guys look cool with those!
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 1:03am
I've ALWAYS found myself thoroughly frustrated by my asian-natured hair. To clarify, that's straight, black, thick and incredibly rigid hair.

Pardon me if I am mistaken, but comparatively speaking, there is hardly anything thing you can do with asian hair. Caucasian people are allowed more flexibility in what they can do with their hair - they are virtually suited to all hair colours from start to end of the spectrum. It makes me very jealous.

Furthermore it is the very nature of our hair to be stiff, rigid and impossible to control. It means while short it sticks out (inevitably giving the "electric" look") and if left long it becomes very uncomfortable as it is hard to part the hair away from the face. Sometimes I fancy perming it.

Now I'm a guy (and a straight one at that) - so solutions involving delicate hair products and loads of time aren't quite the thing for me.

I just wish there was a way around asian hair!

I'm not asian, but my hair has those EXACT properties. It is bone straight, sticks straight out or hangs straight down, is fine, and is MURDER to bleach colors out of it. Gah. What i need now is a good bleach.
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 1:10am
Actually, with the contacts, browns - particularly hazels and honeys look smashing on Asians, as do greys. Obviously blue, on most Asians would appear strikingly unnatural. But that's where you need to be selective! As I've always been. (I wear prescription lenses so it's also for a practical reason.) Contacts are often an accessory, but while you are wearing prescription you may as well experiment with colours.

Also with me, I have slightly "Caucasian-inclined" features even though both my parents are Asian - so that's to be taken into consideration as well.

And ultimately the hair, I'll have to find ways to overcome the rigidity of it and hopefully new styles too (that suit me!).
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2004 at 4:10am
I've seen Asians wear blue contacts successfully-- just the other day at the Asian grocery, the woman at the checkout was wearing like baby-blue contacts, and they looked great on her. She also has bleached-blonde streaks in her hair, though, so I doubt she's very concerned over what looks natural or not.
More awesome than a manatee!
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2004 at 10:18am
Hi Peter,
I read your problems, and it is a common problem to asian people, but every problem has its soloutions. There are many things you can do with asian hair. Yes asian hair is thick and rigid, because of this, it is very durable than caucasian hair. We rarely hear stories of limp, weak, asian hair do we, unless they are on medication or chemotherapy. You said that we have little choice on our hairstyle and haircolours. Have you done your research? Look at the Japanese, Korean or Chinese hair industry. You will see we can do anything with our hair that caucasian people do, sometimes even more. If you want blonde hair go ahead, if you have the right skintones. Beachgirl looks great in her blonde hair even though she is asian.
About your problems, I will try to answer as much and as accurate as I can.

1) you quoted "Furthermore it is the very nature of our hair to be stiff, rigid and impossible to control. It means while short it sticks out (inevitably giving the "electric" look") and if left long it becomes very uncomfortable as it is hard to part the hair away from the face. Sometimes I fancy perming it. "

Perm is actually the sollution to create movement in stiff asian hair. You can perm it slightly so that it will have movement. I see many Japenese and Chinese men perm their hair to create the style they want.

2)"solutions involving delicate hair products and loads of time aren't quite the thing for me"

sorry dude, if you want to look like a million bucks, you better spend some and add loads of time look like one.
re
I wear contacts too. I have dark brown eyes. Since I really dont want to scare anyone at my college
I chose brown. It made my eyes lighter in colour and it matches with my dyed brown hair hair. Actually I just pour peroxide and leaf it for 30 minutes and rinse. It lightens your hair to a brownish shade with a tint of orange. Try Freshlooks Colourblends contacts. They are good because it uses your own natural eyecolour to enhance the shade you are wearing. I am wearing brown and it enhancess my brow eyes. My sister wears amythiyst. The purple colurs blends in naturally with her dark eyes.

Hope I help you a little
AmberEyedAzn2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberEyedAzn2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2004 at 3:45am
hi,
I am asian as well, and my hair isn't fine but it isn't coarse or thick either. I haven't really had a problem with it at all, except that it has some fly aways which tick me off.

As for hair dye, i've gone from blonde to now reddish tones. My skin is fair and is "alright" with even bleached blonde colors. So try a whole bunch of colors if you desire. I also got compliments on my hair even when i was a blonde. So anything is possible.

They do have gels that are non alcohol these days and you can try it, if you wish. Other ways to make your hair less frizzy, is to use Redken products and or frizz-ease. Garnier Fructose is a good brand for hair relaxer related products.
Keri W.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic