Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair treatment for guys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 9:32am
"Harsh" shampoos can cause your scalp to get oily faster, because the scalp overcompensates when the oils are removed too effectively or too quickly. A harsh shampoo can also roughen up the surface of your hair strands and cause more tangles, or cause dryness of the ends whether the scalp is dry or oily.

A gentle shampoo normally reads "sodium laureth sulfate" as the second ingredient. Nothing with the word "ammonium" or "lauryl".

HTH :)
Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 7:38am
you lost me during your last reply... i got confused sorry...

so thats why my hair is thick... its because all my shampoos have ammonium thing in it... do you think steryl alcohol is bad for hair? what other ingredients should i look out for when buying shampoos or conditioners? regular shampoos really are bad... thanks for telling me this ill watch out for this ingredients next time :D

so this are my questions. isnt having an oily scalp good at least your hair wont look dry right? compared to mine, mine is dry and dull looking. how do you make your scalp more helathier ?

thanks!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2004 at 9:43am
thick = lots of hairs per square inch. That's usually genetic though...

Other than what I listed there's not much else that is bad for hair. Hair can stand a lot of abuse, especially Asian hair. Among the shampoos I've used, the only ones that dried out my ends and clogged my roots were ones like Pert Plus (heavy-duty) and Head and Shoulders (heavy-duty).

Stearyl alcohol is what they call an "emollient" or "humectant". It moisturizes the hair, basically, and makes it feel smooth.

HTH :)
Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 7:44am
btw what do you mean moisturize? i mean isnt using conditioner supposed to moisturize your hair and make it softer? moisturize means making hair soft right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 11:12am
Hey Verion

Hair has simple needs, really. I don't mean to make you paranoid or make your life more complicated :) Hair only needs three things in my opinion: (1) conditioner(s), (2) gentle shampoo (actually only the scalp needs shampoo. Some people don't use shampoo at all and just conditioner), and (3) oil, if a person has long hair.

Humectants like stearyl alcohol basically attract moisture to the hair shaft. Like glycerin, for example, if you leave it on the table it will turn into a blob because it sucks the moisture from the air

(1) Moisturizing ingredients prevent hair from drying out, and classic Asian hair tends to get dry faster than Caucasian or other kinds of hair. Hair that is TOO dry can break. Dry hair also tends to be more responsive to static.
(2) Moisturizing ingredients will probably make hair seem "bouncier" which in some cases might make hair LESS soft, but will make hair healthier, that's for sure. It depends on what you want to sacrifice.
(3) Certain combinations of conditioners will weigh hair down if a person has too much volume. Likewise, certain combos of conditioners can make fine hair limp.
(4) Moisturizing ingredients provide some protection before a chemical treatment.

HTH
Anais
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 4:04pm
i dont think head and shoulders is that bad. it is a dandruff shampoo, so its good if you have mild to medium dandruff. its a shampoo i use once a week to keep my dandruff in check.
ARGHH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2004 at 8:38pm
Claribuzz is right... I'm sorry I made the assumption. Although Head and Shoulders is probably too drying for everyday use, a periodic weekly "keep in check" use is a GREAT idea! I'm gonna give that a try sometime for my own dandruff (mine STICKS like the D.ickens to my scalp!! It doesn't flake off!)

Thanks a million!

Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 9:35am
you know i never thought of using head and shoulders again because i thought my dandruff days are over cuz i dont itch... cept maybe when i use water based gel... do you think i should use dandruff shampoo too once a week?? although head and shoulders do have a cool effect on the scalp... minty :)

in terms of long hair do you think hairs up to shoulders need to use oil like you said? i think when one dont use shampoo and just depends on conditioner i think hair wont get soft or manageable... im not sure though...
so basically when my hair gets dry, i just use a leave on conditioner like hair polisher that at the same time cures my split ends... never known if it does do the things it says though... :(

what do you mean with static?? i mean even though i use pantene conditioner my hair looks dry after like 5 hours or so... it wont last till night... maybe conditoner would never work for my hair... :(

regarding the number 2 answer of anais what do you think is better hair condition? what makes hair more beautiful to look at and easier to manage?

as always, thank you for helping me.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 7:44am
Originally posted by verion verion wrote:

you know i never thought of using head and shoulders again because i thought my dandruff days are over cuz i dont itch... cept maybe when i use water based gel... do you think i should use dandruff shampoo too once a week?? although head and shoulders do have a cool effect on the scalp... minty :)

in terms of long hair do you think hairs up to shoulders need to use oil like you said? i think when one dont use shampoo and just depends on conditioner i think hair wont get soft or manageable... im not sure though...
so basically when my hair gets dry, i just use a leave on conditioner like hair polisher that at the same time cures my split ends... never known if it does do the things it says though... :(

what do you mean with static?? i mean even though i use pantene conditioner my hair looks dry after like 5 hours or so... it wont last till night... maybe conditoner would never work for my hair... :(

regarding the number 2 answer of anais what do you think is better hair condition? what makes hair more beautiful to look at and easier to manage?

as always, thank you for helping me.

well if you dont have dandruff might as well dont use it, if you want minty feeling shampoo, might as well by pepermint oil or eucylaptus oil, add them to shampoos that you like or by minty shampoos
static is when the hair seems never to fall down str8. its has life of its own : D.

a better hair condition is when you accept your hair as it is. just a gentle shampoo, suitable conditioner, protected from the sun, healthy die will mnake hair easy to managed
ARGHH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 10:44am
"Healthy" and "manageable" hair has to do with what you DON'T do, not what you DO with your hair. For healthy hair in the long run, I second Claribuzz's suggestion about good diet:

--eat a balanced diet and take a daily mulivitamin.

Also, you can...
--minimize your use of heat tools (includes blow drying)
--minimize your use of hair dyes and exposure to chemicals (e.g. perms and relaxers)
--if you tie your hair back, use a neutral colored hair-tie instead of a real rubber band
--I mixed you up with another guy and thought you had shorter hair :) So it's shoulder length then? Do you plan to grow it longer? cut it? keep it the same length? The thing is, ideal haircare does change if you are planning to grow longer.

But otherwise keep it as simple as possible. Complicated routines are often unnecessary.

Oh,.. and about Pantene... if your hair doesn't like Pantene, stop using it and likewise you'll want to avoid L'Oreal and Fructis conditioners too. They have a common ingredient type and that's probably what's making your hair feel dry. Plastics can sometimes keep the moisture OUT. As for what to use instead... all of these have NO plastic coating ingredients: Suave Naturals, Biolage's Conditioning Balm, White Rain Classic Extra Body, the original VO5 flavors... or you can layer them too, a Suave Naturals and a V05. Even better, they are both cheap.

Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 7:10am
what do you think are signs you have dandruff except having itchy feelings? i recently watched home infomercial, do you think buying those revo styler would be good for the hair. im kinda thinking to give it to my ma.. what do you think?

hi calribuzz i do hope that my hair is easily managed... im hoping to have the hair of korean guys those straight down hair with the cut in the middle of maybe side... thats what i like now i dont know how to even get that though in my place i see lots of people with hair like that... its so frustrating :(

multivitamin?? what can i eat that could make my hair better?? is there a way liek that?

yeah i do plan to make my hair longer because im trying to look like someone i see on korean tv here. my hair is kinda on shoulder length at back and at the front reach the neck almost.

you know im also stupid i dont even know if the shampoo or conditioners im using is useful for my hair or not... :( any help?

BTW THANKS A LOT FOR ALWAYS HELPING ME!!! THANKS!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 10:51am
There are two kinds of dandruff: the kind that flakes off and the kind that sticks to your scalp oil. Hypothetically, if I go for a month without a hairwash, I could run my nail across the scalp and get a thick paste that doesn't dissolve.

A Revo styler is just another money gimmick in my opinion. You can get the same effects with a boar bristle brush for five dollars. The Revo just saves having to use wrist motion to brush. Which I think is ridiculous.

As for products: If it makes your scalp produce less oil, than it is a good shampoo. If it makes your hair feel bouncy, free of static, and not dry, then it is a good conditioner. If you want to increase your chances of buying the right product, read the ingredients. I've outlined a few things about ingredients in my above posts.

A multivitamin is just a vitamin tablet you can buy at a drugstore like Payless or a supermarket like Safeway, Albertsons... even Walmart has multivitamin tablets. Include lots of protein and vegetables in your diet: fish, eggs, nuts, broccoli...

Hope this helps.
Anais
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 7:45pm
hey anais, with my tropical weather here, if i dont shampoo after 3 days, my hair produce the same undisolve gunk if you scratch the scalp. YUCK!!

verion, do you mean cut in the middle or side..... is parting the hair right. If you want to make it part, you either have to brush it and part in everyday for like 15 minutes or get a relaxer to help you part in that area.
you can always create you own version of the style.
ARGHH
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 10:10am
Ok i found out i have a good shampoo though the one i do use have that ammonium laureate thing... well i have a wrong conditioner... since it made my hair bouncy only after the first 3 hours then after taht no more... the ahir is dry like i just used a shampoo. protein hmm?? ok im looking for that multivitamin :D do you think i should use conditioner more rather than shampoo or do them both together?? how many times for a week what do you think?

btw claribuzz where did you part your hair?? yeah i part in the middle just like those koreans did. i thought you said relaxing is bad for the hair how could the use of relaxer help me? do you think buying a relaxer and doing it on my own will be good for me provided i read the manual? oh yeah the only thing i cant do is to let the white scalp be mroe prominently seen when i part my hair so i have like a thin line of white only :(

thanks for the help!!
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 3:07am
well.. you should you a conditioner right after a shampoo. washing and condition your hair 3 times a week i sufficient. hmm you want bouncy hair... i think you may need more than just shampoo and conditioner. you need to boost it with some hair treatment. Anais has great ideas for hairtreatment. a friend of mine wanted soft hair, so he went and got VO5 hot oil. he does it like twice a week and he liked the results. maybe you need some body to your hair to make it nice and bouncy. What shampoo are you using now? I think you should look for hair products with protein components in them.
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 9:49am
well about the suggestion of products that anais said. im currently searching it here in our place :)
actually im in a doubt of whether i like a flat down hair like those korean actors.... or maybe let my hair have a bouncy one so it wont look like lifeless... is this v05 hot oil a conditioner that can be bought on stores? so your friend now have beautiful hair?
hair product with protein on it? what do you suggest? about my shampoo and conditioner? well i borrow from my sis. she uses Citre both for shamp and cond.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 11:41pm
Vo5 hot oil treatment is availble in most supermarket and drugstore. my friend has very fine hair, so he wanted softness with it, so he uses the oil treatment. if i am not mistaken there is a version of the oil to provide bouncy hair.. try it.
ARGHH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2004 at 9:41am
Shampoo is only necessary for the scalp. Conditioner is usually only necessary for the length of the hair. You should only shampoo as often as your scalp needs it. (if the scalp feels greasy and itchy or otherwise nasty, then shampoo it) But as Claribuzz said, always ALWAYS condition after shampoo. Whether you use conditioner separate is up to you, but ALWAYS use it after shampoo.

I don't know... You could do shampoo on Sundays (or substitute a day) and Conditioner Only (CO) on Tuesdays and Thursdays... that's just an example. Shorter hair has different needs than longer hair, so you'll have to find out what works best for you. Try a weekly routine and keep track in a journal for a month.

Me, I CWC (condition, shampoo, condition) every 5 days and might condition-only in between those days. Others may do shampoo+conditioner every 3 days and conditioner-only in between. If you're shampooing less often, it takes about 2-3 weeks for the scalp to adjust. Then the scalp will naturally produce less and less oil.

If you're looking for shampoos and conditioners with protein, then you'll want to stay away from oil treatments because protein and oil usually react to make the hair feel brittle. You'll want to just pick ONE of them.

Hope this helps :)
Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 10:06pm
hi! i thought relaxing is bad for the hair? why did you said it could help my hair? soft hair and bouncy hair? which is better? im confused which is more better to look at and managed?
oh yeah i found schwarzkopf here and bought a moisture shampoo for my hair since you suggested maybe my hair lacks moisture because of its dryness. do you think after using the whole shampoo my hair would improve? because right now im afraid mayeb i spent money that could not help my hair. also is it supposed to be that after using that shampoo when my hair is wet it feels like it has plastic in it? is this supposed to be the case?
thanks for readign my question and for helping me :)
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 12:43am
relaxing is good for some asian hair because it makes it softer by softning the shaft of the hair. if done properly and you condition well, hair is transformed. this only work if you have short hair but want the flatness of longhair.
ARGHH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic