Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Color Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Color Problem
    Posted: February 19 2003 at 12:16am
I went to a new salon today & took a chance on getting highlights done. I''ve had foil highlights & lowlights done before & it turned out fine. I''m a brunette and I guess my hair has some natural red tones, which I actually like. I''ve only done coloring & highlighting for about 3 yrs and have not been consistant really so it''s still sort of a new thing for me. I''ve got a few gray hairs so I''m usually just doing something to cover them up and at the same time try and keep up, somewhat, with todays looks.

My problem is - I do not look good as a blonde. My hair turns ashey and my skin tone is olive so I think I look almost green.

I went and bought some Loving Care Color Creme - Level 1 - Auburn. I have not opened the box yet. I thought I''d search for some advice about using that first. I just really want to get rid of the ashey look and I don''t look bad with the auburn hair. Since its not a permanent color, will this product be okay to use on my hair?
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 2:58am
Hi! I'm pretty new to the world of hair coloring myself, but I have a friend who regularly uses Level 1 colors to give her color a boost. They're pretty gentle (unlike permanent color), and so it probably won't hurt your hair. However, if you're going from blondish to dark auburn, the color probably won't last more than a couple of shampoos, so you'll probably have more of a strawberry blond color until it all washes out back to blond. Still, its a good way to try out a new color without fully committing to it (wish I would've thought of that before I dyed mine black! Now its stuck this way!) If you have olive toned skin, then dark colors like auburn or plum or even black would probably look good on you.
Good luck to ya!

Inga :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 9:13am
Hi Jak,

I assume level 1, is semi-permanent, I'm learning this by reading some of y'alls posts, here. Which of course is better then the alternatives, if you are going to color at home.

My first? Question is; Why are you not calling your Stylist and letting her know that your highlights are too ashy? She can do a multitude of things to shift the tone of those highlights and it doesn't have to be complicated.

It sounds to me like you are going to try toning your hair at home, that can be risky. You just paid to have your hair weaved, if your not happy with the tones I'm sure your Stylist would want to know. (I know would!) If your Stylist doesn't see you regularly, it can be hard to give you that perfect weave, She just may need to tweak a bit.
This is common with color, especially highlights. Call her... and if you lose warm tones and get ashy too fast, pay a little more and have a sealer put on your hair after it is toned to perfection.

If you are determined to try the Auburn box color... I'm going to suggest that you do a strand test, before you put a color called "Auburn" on your pre-highlighted hair...To do a strand test choose a good size piece of hair underneath, and pick the lightest piece you can find. You need to see what basetones (pink, orange, or worse) your going to pull on the blondest hair.

Good Luck Girl let us know how it goes
jak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 10:51am
Thanks for the replies! Sophie, to answer your first question, the stylist I went to basically scared me off. I doubt I will ever go back and I guess I'm being too "nice" to call her back and let her know how I feel about my hair. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever told my stylist "oh this looks fine" and walk out, go home, look in the mirror and say "okay, what did she do to me!" My husband says it looks fine, but then he always wanted me to be more blonde. I just know that it does not go well with my skin tone and green eyes, etc. I think I'm just all green now!

I just moved to this area (TX Hill Country) and tried a nearby salon. I was a bit leary anyway but I needed my hair done. I know now I will have to drive into San Antonio or Austin to find a more professional place. My stylist was a little spacey and it only got worse the longer I sat there.

So, that is why I didn't call back and really, the only reason I am thinking about a home remedy is that I'm afraid a professional color corrector may cost much more than I want to pay right now.

I will try the strand test and if it looks too scarey, I will suck it up and go pay a pro!

Thanks for the advice!
JAK
jak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 10:57am
By the way....
the Loving Care is definately not permanent. The Level 1 only last 6 to 12 shampoos which is why I thought I give it shot.

Also, when I made the appt with the stylist, I asked for foil highlights and when I got there the stylist said "that's not my thing" and used a cap.

Isn't the foil process better that pulling through a cap? The results are a bit blotchy in some spots where she didn't pull strands through.

JAK
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 12:12pm
I am probably way off here, but I've been told that if your hair is colored with permanent color it is more porous and will grab the color, and sometimes that semi-permanent color won't completely wash out especially if it is a darker color. I would check on that first before you go ahead.

If someone knows if this is true or not true please let me know.

Sometimes a change takes time for us to get used to it. And hair reflects differently in different lighting. Go outside, check it out in different places, and never trust florescent lighting... it is the worse. Did I spell that right?

Anyway, be careful and don't get impatient. Choose wisely and please let us know what you did, and the outcome, so we can learn from your experience.

wittils
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 12:18pm
I forgot to mention...

I personally think that a foil wrap is more gentle than a cap and pulling the hair through. Yeeeks. I have done it, but it's harsh. I would never do it again, and I would never let any one else do that to me. Only because my hair is so baby fine and I handle way more careful than anyone else would take time to do. And I just think the wraps are more natural looking if done right and just little tiny sections. Its pretty when done right. And nope I have never had that done but have always wanted to.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 1:34pm
I agree with you, Wittils. If you were to use a perm. color, then a semi over it, it will really grab the color.
Don't use permanent, then permanent again. Permanent color "lifts" your color, then adds the new color. So, when the new color fades, you are left with a lighter color each time.
Trust me... I kept using perm. colors, and every time the color turned out darker than before(I used dark blonde...turned out dark brown), then when it faded, it got lighter than when it faded before.
I had a corrective color. The hairdresser used a fill, then a semi. perm color. It has been a month and the color has only faded a little, like she said it would.
So, I suggest you use a semi. perm color that is a little darker than you want, so when it fades a little, you'll have the color you want. HTH!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 2:23pm
Hi Guys...Jak, I hear you...all you can do is follow your instincts when it comes to a new stylist...I agree you may want to find a stylist you can feel great about and trust...

If you see someone with great hair, you love their color and maybe its even similar to your hair...Ask them who does their hair. Word of mouth is the BEST way to find a great stylist.

And Wittlis You said that right...When a weave is done right ...It is awesome Although I will use a weave/cap (and that has to be done right too) when the situation is right for it.

I think, what happens so many times when you try a NEW salon, if you don't request a spicific Stylist, (hopefully a stylist that has been reccomended to you) you will end up with the stylist in the salon who is not busy........And if they're not busy there are usually only a couple of reasons for that....They are NEW or They are not great at what they do.

Now this is not always the case....but most of the time its true. sorry for rambling

Wittils and AmandaP are right about pourus hair grabbing

Tootles
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 11:49pm
Hi,

One thing you must remember is that if you are using Auburn over highlighted hair, you may end up with pink hair. The lightness in your highlights will pick up the base color of your auburn.

If you are afraid to talk to your stylist, talk to the manager/salon owner. We very much want to know and you will be helping that stylist learn from there mistakes.

When stylist makes mistakes we make "discoverys"
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic