Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Why can`t you grow your hair like that?"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Why can`t you grow your hair like that?"
    Posted: December 29 2001 at 4:06pm
I love Christmas shopping, especially last-minute Christmas shopping. Really, I do, but only because there are so many people at the stores. And among them seem to be so many women with long hair.

The other night at a store that seems to be open all of the time, a couple in their mid-50s was walking in front of me when a stunning woman -- perhaps in her late 30s or early 40s -- walked past us. She had brunette straight hair down to her knees and was turning heads wherever she went. The man in front of me turned to his wife and said, "Why can`t you grow your hair like that?" The wife, who had some sort of short permed style, gave him a terrible stare, shook her head and they kept walking. I don`t know what they said after that, if anything, because I followed the brunette for a spell, then went on with the rest of my shopping.

While I felt somewhat bad for the woman with the permed hair, obviously her husband longed for something he would never get, so I felt bad for him as well.

The bottom line for me? Ladies, you`re never too old for long hair.

Happy Holidays.
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2001 at 10:50pm
Gord - I know guys like you. I always recommend that you grow your own hair "like that". I like looking at long hair too - on guys...waggy
Be yourself - unless you suck...wags
Sobriquet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sobriquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2002 at 12:58pm
Reply to message: 24.946.1
Hi Gord;

I haven`t been on these boards forever - I return and this post catches my eye.

Around Christmas, we had some neighbors over for cards. The wife has short/coarse/straight hair she hates, and perms it regularly. Even so, she only likes her hair for about one month of each perm cycle. At the time, she was due for a perm - her hair was straight, and she had been fighting with a curling iron to get it to look nice. While she`s telling us about this, her husband pipes up with, "yeah, I want her to grow her hair out like you are (pointing to me) but she won`t do it!" Her reply is that she is a low-maintenance person. I gently pointed out that with my hair to the length it now is (28" with chin-length bangs) I don`t spend but maybe 5 minutes on my hair in the mornings. She said that at least I knew of some styles to do with my hair, and she wouldn`t know of any. She has since gotten her perm, and I know she will always have her short style. That`s OK with me, if that`s what she really wants. ( I secretly got a kick out of her husband - he actually notices my hair! LOL Does he talk to her about my hair and his wishes for her hair?)

My point of this long reply is I think most men in general prefer long hair on women. Just like what you overheard in the store - it`s too bad the husband didn`t have a more tactful way of letting his wife know his preferences. :) I`m sure she thought he was being ridiculous and unrealistic to think she grow hair from short/short to knee length - "impossible!"

Thankfully, there is more to love than hair; remember that!

Wanita
Wavy Brunette
Current Length: 29"
Goal Length: my maximum growth potential ;)
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2002 at 4:21pm
Kinda like saying "why can`t you have a body like THAT" ain`t it; after all it takes is diet and exersize.

I think most PEOPLE period appreciate the way long hair looks (as long as it`s "good" long hair). Very few people have Crystal Gayle genetics though.

I still think anyone who wants OTHER people to have long hair should be willing to grow it themselves...gabi
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2002 at 3:37am
Whoa.....guys listen up. The perfect prescription for a very COLD night in bed is this: Compare your wife unfavorably to another woman.

"Why can`t you have hair like hers?"

"Why can`t you cook like that?"

"Why can`t you dress like she does?"

Did I say "night?" Make that year. Maybe years!

Jennifer
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2002 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Jennifer Jennifer wrote:

Whoa.....guys listen up. The perfect prescription for a very COLD night in bed is this: Compare your wife unfavorably to another woman.

"Why can't you have hair like hers?"

"Why can't you cook like that?"

"Why can't you dress like she does?"

Did I say "night?" Make that year. Maybe years!

Jennifer

Points very well taken. The guy looked really grouchy and even looked grouchy, so he probably wasn`t getting any anyway and probably felt he had nothing to lose. LOL
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2002 at 9:36pm
But he did gain some "insurance"...wags
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 10:34am
I think it has to do with what looks good on you. My husband adored my long hair, yes adored... I had to cut it for medical reasons.

now, he thinks I look better and even sexier with it short. I thought it was a simpathy thing at first, until I got a lot of compliments from a lot of other people as well.

I love long hair and will help support those that want to grow it out. But I will be the last person to tell someone they need to grow their hair out or "why can`t you grow hair like that?" -- it ranks up there with hearing "Why can`t you look more like her?" or being constantly being put down because you aren`t built like barbie or a playboy bunny.

So guys....how `bout if we constantly made remarks about balding and potbellies....would that get the point across?

Trix
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic