Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Doing my own Color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
K.E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doing my own Color
    Posted: April 24 2003 at 6:06am
Hi, This is my first time on this forum. I was hoping to get some advice from the veterans here. I am ash-brown and have heavy highlights. I just had my highlights done a week ago and the growth is already starting. I do not like the striped look and decided that I would like to be an all-over platinum (I like Pamela Lee's color) and maintain my own hair for a while. I went to Sally's and found a color I liked (Loreal Mega Blonde line - Very Light Blonde). I was told that i need to use a cream lightner on dark roots only(with bowl/brush), shampoo/dry, and then the color mixed with a 30V developer (equal parts) all over the hair. Does this sound correct? Thank you
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 3:15pm
Hi K.E.,
I have the same sort of question about changing from highlights to all over color. I don't know about doing it at home though. My daughter tried to color over highlights and ended up with a huge mess that cost a lot more to fix than just getting color would have. Be very careful. I would go to a salon if you can afford it and have the time.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 10:24pm
Hi,
I agree with Demdoll. The problem can arise when you use a cream lightner of over lapping onto the previously lightened area. Doing so can cause major damage and breakage. Also coloring this paticular color, you will need to retouch about every 3 weeks. If not....well..... you will look very cheap. ( you know what I mean)

I think you would like your highlights better if there was a lowlight to go with it. I breaks up the strip look. It also makes the darker areas not look so bad.

Good Luck
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 10:07am
I have highlights and lowlights and what happens to me is that when it starts growing out it looks greasy because the dark hair that is underneath shows through. I hate the way that looks. My hairdresser tried more lowlights last time and I hate it even more. That is why I was considering all over color but I also don't want the "cheap" look with dark roots either. It is a catch 22 to me. I would just go back to brown but now I have some gray...
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 12:29pm
About six months after i got my highlights done, I had multiple haircolors, black (natural), dark brown highlights, and light brown highlights (processed twice). It was pretty awful and I was getting tired of the highlights anyway. I ended up using a bottle of Natural Essences semi-permanent haircolor in black. Then I used a color-enhancing product (Origins Tealights) in black for a few months to maintain the color until it grew out. This worked really well for me.

oh, and I have to add.. the Natural Essences haircolor was great, especially since it doesn't have any alcohol to dry out the hair even more, and it came with an aloe conditioner that really helped my hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic