Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

store bought vs beauty supply bought hair dye?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tigerlily10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerlily10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: store bought vs beauty supply bought hair dye?
    Posted: February 08 2004 at 10:58pm
hi. a lady i know works at a beauty supply store. she told me recently that i should not buy my hair color at any discount store. she said that additives are added to the product and the color isn't as great as those same products that are sold in beauty supply stores. it sounds a little fishy to me. i was wondering if anyone has heard about this. thanks for any info.
lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 5:17pm
no, this is true.  the colors sold in drugstores or grocery stores are metallic dyes that fade to a weird color.  the colors at sally's are professional, easy and more affordable than the boxes.  this is a fact.  try sally's and see, i think you will like it.
happy coloring
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 10:21am
I don't know about what lovetocolor says, it may be true, I am not a pro so I just don't know.  I do use beauty supply color though, not boxed color for the following reasons:

One good thing about getting color at the beauty supply shop is that you know what base is in the color, so if you like to live dangerously and never test strand, you are better able to just pick up a color with the base you know you need and throw it on and get good results.  You can't really do that with storebought because the color it comes out always depends on the base in the color (which boxed colors don't tell you) and what your starting color is, and whether it was previously dyed.  Not knowing the base just adds another unknown, so you really do have to always test strand.

Boxed colors cost more if you have to use the whole bottle at once (not so much if you can mix only what you need at a time).  If you can't spare any of it, you get one dye job out of a box that costs more than 5 bucks, where you can get a giant bottle of developer at Sally for about 5 bucks that you can use for years, and a bottle of dye for about 4 bucks.  For root touch ups, I use that 4 dollar bottle of dye 4 or more times, (just mixing more as I need it), so it saves a lot of money, and I never need to buy more developer.

Also, if you do decide boxed color is for you, beware of "discount" stores.  They are selling the same box, but you really do always get what you pay for.  They are selling stuff that was rejected for the regular price, possibly because it doesn't work as well because it was processed faultily, or is old and should be considered expired.  This stuff will not work as well as stuff bought at a regular store when it comes to dye chemicals.  Its generally fine for shampoo and stuff like that if it hasn't totally expired (to the point where it smells funny or has a strange texture...most shampoos have enough edta in them that this doesn't happen usually, and they last), but dye chemicals do more unpredictable things when not exactly right. 

Its like buying Cheetos at walmart.  Its the same bag, its not expired, it comes from the same factory as all the other cheetos, but they sure taste better when you buy them for regular price at a regular store.  (The company has a pretty good idea when they burn the cheetos, and the bad ones go to discount stores where they are sold cheaper).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 11:45am
i must have misunderstood your question.  i thought you were wondering if anyone else had heard about the store brand vs beauty supply products.  i had and said what i had heard. 
happy coloring
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 8:15am
Oh no, I wasn't trying disagree with you or imply that your post was unrelated.  I was just saying I didn't personally know of what you spoke and had no opinion on that, but that I had other reasons why beauty supply shops were better, so I was going to talk about those.  No malice intended - Embarrassed

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 10:07pm
oh, no offense taken.  sorry if my reply sounded abrasive.  i truly didn't mean for it too.  i am going to cosmotology school in october and am reading a friends text book....they talked about the metalic dyes in there.  boy is there alot to know!!!!  i thought i knew alot about color, let me tell you, i don't know jackTongue...i know some stuff but it can really get involved.  i will talk to you later.
happy coloring
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 3:41pm
I am a hairstylist, and personally in my experiance with using both products, the profestional products are far better, they grab onto the hairs cuticle and penatrate deeper into the cortex, therefore last longer. I have had clients saying drugstore colours dont last long and often dont cover gray hair too well, but this is only with my experiances.

KarenSmile
karen sanderson
irishroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 6:53pm
Hi, there is a big difference between drugstore color and professional color.
 Most drugstore color has a higher volume at 25vol versus 20vol for the normal grey coverage coloring that pros use.
Also the dyes in drugstore color has normally 75% oxidative dyes (dyes that need peroxide to develop) and 25% direct dyes, (dyes that don't need a developer and are precolored)
But the biggest thing, is the conditioning properties, the drugstore conditions with waxes & PVC a plastic versus pro color has proteins & lipids & moisturizers in them.
 - Mags Kavanaugh  http://www.askmags.com
 Educational Website for Licensed Cosmetologists

Edited by irishroyal - May 22 2007 at 7:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 8:06pm
hi ladies...i have heard some real horror stories (as i hang out in sally's)  boy,  the cosmotologists that work there don't have a good thing to say about those metalic dyes.  i over dyed my hair a couple of weeks ago...got REAL creative....hair broke off and i am conditioning like crazy....freaked me out....i have heard that i need to protein my hair but then some say that too much protein can break hair also....does anyone know how much is too much?
happy coloring
irishroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 9:26pm

The ONLY metallic dye color in the USA is a mens over the counter product, that's the ONLY one.

Yes, protein can make your hair too strong, and then it can break, but that wouldn't happen unless you used a protein reconstructor on it everyday like for 2 months.
 Fine hair has too much moisture & not enough Protein, Medium hair has equal moisture & protein and coarse hair has too much protein not enough moisture, so know when to use what on your or your clients hair.
 If you have given your clients color, perms or relaxers then most of the time they will need protein with a little bit of mositure in treatment types of reconstructors. So start checking out those treatments you give to your clients to make sure you are giving the correct one, because too much mositure can make hair strecthy to the point that it too can break & snap off.
- Mags Kavanaugh  http://www.askmags.com 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 12:34pm
is that right about the men's?  wow...i had heard that it builds slowly up on the hair shaft...man, most people in sally's tell of the metallic horrors....well, salesmanship......i am not yet a cosmotoligist, i am going to the eric fisher academy in october....i sooooo can't wait....i have really curly hair that tends to be dry and of course the BIG COLOR experiment here in my bathroom...you helped me out...it is a bit complicated though to the untrained though....thank you irishroyal.
happy coloring
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic