Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how to turn dark brown hair to honey blonde??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honeybee22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeybee22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to turn dark brown hair to honey blonde??
    Posted: February 24 2005 at 6:39pm
Please help!!
My natural hair color is dark brown.. I want to color my hair to honey blonde. How can I do this at home, and without using bleach. Please recommend a good color. Thank you so much..

I love this place
You guys rock!!!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 7:29pm
You can't. The only way to get from dark brown to honey blond is to bleach.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 7:42pm
how dark do you define darkbrown?? almost black? If it is, then youll have a tough time getting the results you want sans bleach.
Sara
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:35am
When you say "do this at home" and bleach, I always feel inclined to say "don't use household bleach". Maybe that's not what you meant anyway, but just in case. Use hair bleach from the beauty supply shop, then get a toner or dye to use over it.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Eryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 8:23pm
I don't have a solution for you, but I do have a question in relation to the original question....
My natural color is dirty dish-water blonde, and recently I've gone to a dark brown w/black, red and blonde foiled in. I would love to go to an almost platinum w/some darker streaks and then put some peek-a-boo dark pink streaks in....any suggestions on how to do all this without doing too much damage to my hair??
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 9:41pm
You probably can't at this point. Black doesn't come out well, and all those other colors, who knows? No matter what you try, you're going to have different results all over your head. Even if you can lighten it enough, the condition will make it look anything but healthy.

I recommend a classy platinum wig for the times when your own hair just doesn't do it for you.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Veronica F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Honeybee22 Honeybee22 wrote:

Please help!!
My natural hair color is dark brown.. I want to color my hair to honey blonde. How can I do this at home, and without using bleach. Please recommend a good color. Thank you so much..

I love this place
You guys rock!!!

Actually, bleaching ISN'T the only way to go blond. They have high-lift blonding services but since ur new to coloring I'd be against u doing it at home. Seriously, call up a good hair salon and tell them abt ur situation. Tell them that u wanna go to a honey blonde and if they couldd get u their using their range of high-lift blondes through the color line they use. (Most color lines nowadays have high-lift blonde range.)
Also, the good thing abt using the blond shade from a "high-lift" series w/ the 30 or 40 vol. developer is that it keeps orangey hues and brassiness at bay, that is if u have a dye from a really good *professional* color line used on ur hair!
Just for the record, I have naturally BLACK resistent hair and a stylist used schwarzkopf's igora royal hair color in my hair w/ 30 vol. developer and it lifted 9 levels in 45 mins!!!
Other stuff didn't work on my strand tests that i bought from sally's.
So, pleeese go to a pro for this, and u can have the color of ur dreams!!!
Good luck and I hope i've helped, becuz I know how much it sux when u can't gte hte hair ur looking for! hehe.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 12:06am
If u *really* wanna do this at home tho...(sorry for posting again i missed the part where u said that u do wanna DIY!) Then I recommend u go to sally's and get a blonde shade from the clairol complements Line and the "Pure White" Clairol creme developer in 40 volume. Next, snip off a strand of ur hair from the back of ur head and follow the directions as usual, and apply it to the strand. After the color has processed, check the strand test and when its washed and dried and its wht ur looking then u could proceed w/ coloring, but try to get a friend to help u! However, If its not wht u want or if u get no results u COULD try returning the developer and maybe the color sally's for a refund, also the back of ur head is where hair is the most resistent but hopefully u should be able to get the results ur looking for!!!
HomeBleacher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeBleacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 2:08am
Bull****! It is scientifically impossible -- IMPOSSIBLE -- to go from level 1 black to level 10 blonde without bleach (and even with bleach it's difficult).

There's a lot to learn about color science but one basic rule is you can get 1 level of lift per 10 volume of peroxide, and that maxes out at 5 levels with double 40 volume. And that only works when you start at level 4 or above.

Honeybee, don't try and do it without bleaching or you will have very brassy gold-orange hair.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 3:46pm
I'm sorry, but I HAVE gone 8/9 w/ out bleaching, cuz high volumes lift and deposit color. And the product i use (schwarzkopf) is like any other color in that it DOES NOT contain any bleaching agents!!!
So its not bull, its newer technology that enable pple to have option BESIDES bleaching the hair.
Schwarzkopf is also lower in ammonia, which I like.
BUT, there are colored-bleaches too, i.e. CHI Infra high-lift blondes for dark haired pple.
If u don't believe me Check it out at http://www.behindthechair.com/displaysection.aspx?ITID=2
Moreover, if u read their msgboard u'll see the stylist constantly discussing level of lift, through color not bleach, a lot of them claim they only really use bleach for highlights.
I'm not saying all of them do this, but a good majority now w/ more improved color than there was a few years ago!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 4:39pm

Actually, bleaching ISN'T the only way to go blond. They have high-lift blonding services but since ur new to coloring I'd be against u doing it at home. Seriously, call up a good hair salon and tell them abt ur situation. Tell them that u wanna go to a honey blonde and if they couldd get u their using their range of high-lift blondes through the color line they use. (Most color lines nowadays have high-lift blonde range.)
Also, the good thing abt using the blond shade from a "high-lift" series w/ the 30 or 40 vol. developer is that it keeps orangey hues and brassiness at bay, that is if u have a dye from a really good *professional* color line used on ur hair!
Just for the record, I have naturally BLACK resistent hair and a stylist used schwarzkopf's igora royal hair color in my hair w/ 30 vol. developer and it lifted 9 levels in 45 mins!!!
Other stuff didn't work on my strand tests that i bought from sally's.
So, pleeese go to a pro for this, and u can have the color of ur dreams!!!
Good luck and I hope i've helped, becuz I know how much it sux when u can't gte hte hair ur looking for! hehe.
[/QUOTE]

I would say that if her hair is ATLEAST a level3--that by using a 40volume with a level 5 gold will get her pretty good results.
Not everyone can successfully do this though...There will be no way to know except to do a strand test. Yes, some people can lift many levels and turn out a beautiful color(as you seem to be one of them), but the majority of people tend to lift to oranges or reds,and are entirely too brassy and are unable to GET past those tones without bleach.
Sara
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by InnamorataItaliana InnamorataItaliana wrote:

I would say that if her hair is ATLEAST a level3--that by using a 40volume with a level 5 gold will get her pretty good results.
Not everyone can successfully do this though...There will be no way to know except to do a strand test. Yes, some people can lift many levels and turn out a beautiful color(as you seem to be one of them), but the majority of people tend to lift to oranges or reds,and are entirely too brassy and are unable to GET past those tones without bleach.

Yes, since everyone's hair is different, but i was slightly annoyed when that other poster mentioned that its bull**** cuz and that its quote IMPOSSIBLE to do this, when OBVIOUSLY it is not But of course bleaching is the only thing that will get dark haired pple to whiteblonde.
So, strand tests are the best thing to do, i agree. Also, I'm guessing red is easier to achieve (even really light) due to the nat. tones in a brunnette's hair? I mean a lot of pple claim hicolor helped them get the non-brassy honey blonde so it really depends.
Sorry if i seemed carried away, i just get excited when i get to give advice on lifting color! hehe Plus i like reading wht behindthechair.com has to say, even tho non-pro's like myself probably aren't supposed to be there!
irishroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 9:54pm
Since you want to go from dark brown level 3 in most companies to a honey blonde which starts at level 6 and honey is a warm blonde with golden red undertones, you can get this with a highlift color level 12 or highlift/ ultra series in most lines with double amounts of 40vol developer, so 2oz. of color to 4oz. of developer, this will give you a honey result, you MUST use the coolest possible tone they have like Ash, Blue or Blue/Violet.
Clairol has Complements 12A permanent color and you would mix that with the Clairol Creme developer.
Apply 1/2 inch out from scalp down thru the ends, then after 25 minutes apply it to the scalp area and the total timing is 45 minutes.
You would apply this ONLY to virgin hair, if you already have color on your hair, then you ONLY have one choice and that is bleach.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by irishroyal irishroyal wrote:

Since you want to go from dark brown level 3 in most companies to a honey blonde which starts at level 6 and honey is a warm blonde with golden red undertones, you can get this with a highlift color level 12 or highlift/ ultra series in most lines with double amounts of 40vol developer, so 2oz. of color to 4oz. of developer, this will give you a honey result, you MUST use the coolest possible tone they have like Ash, Blue or Blue/Violet.
Clairol has Complements 12A permanent color and you would mix that with the Clairol Creme developer.
Apply 1/2 inch out from scalp down thru the ends, then after 25 minutes apply it to the scalp area and the total timing is 45 minutes.
You would apply this ONLY to virgin hair, if you already have color on your hair, then you ONLY have one choice and that is bleach.

Hehe, this is EXACTLY wht I tried to convey, but i was too lazy to go into the detail of bases like u did! Lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 8:18am
Originally posted by irishroyal irishroyal wrote:

I think if she uses an ash tone to get honey--theres a good possibility its going to turn green. She doesnt neccessarily need to use cool tones, warmer ones may turn a bit brassy--but the brassiness will fade out given a couple days.
HomeBleacher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeBleacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 12:44pm
Okay, first of all, you keep changing your story. Originally it was "I have naturally BLACK resistent hair and a stylist used schwarzkopf's igora royal hair color in my hair w/ 30 vol. developer and it lifted 9 levels in 45 mins." Then later you say, "...But of course bleaching is the only thing that will get dark haired pple to whiteblonde."
Well, what do you think going from BLACK to Level 10 is?!

I'd be willing to bet you are NOT a natural Level 1, and you did not lift to Level 10. More likely you went from 3 to 9, at most.

And if you want to hear it from an expert, look no further than the articles on this very site:

Quote eth is adamant about the fact that double process blonding is the only guaranteed method to achieving a balanced, rich, blonde result on Level 4 (light brown) color or deeper. "Although many colorists use a high lift 'single process' permanent haircolor formula to create blonde results," she notes, "this ineffective method often results in an unattractive, 'school bus yellow,' golden-orange brassy result. Why? Because even the most effective high-lift blonde formulas do not thoroughly remove the underlying warm (orange and gold) pigment present in most natural darker hair. Some colorists think that use of a 40-volume developer and a high-lift shade equal that of a lightener -- and this is a mistake."

-- http://www.behindthechairs.com/displayarticle.aspx?ID=101&ITID=2
irishroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 1:05pm
If you use an Ash based color (which can be gray based or green based) on a darker level 3 and under, you won't get a green color because of the underlying or contributing pigment that the natural hair gives to any formulation, so if you brought up a NL-3 to took that up to a level 6 the underlying pigment at a level 6 is orange, so:
Orange + green, would give you a neutral /warm color
or
Orange + gray, would also give you a neutral/warm tone.
The underlying pigment is more contributing then the artificial color, so she would end up a warm neutral which is the honey color she wanted anyway.
If she uses a Neutral artificial color, the end result would be very brassy, because the neutral isn't strong enough to counter the underlying pigment of orange.
Adding up your pigments helps you not make a mistake and you can check your formula without coloring the hair first and having to do corrective color in the long run. - Mags Kavanaugh
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by HomeBleacher HomeBleacher wrote:

Okay, first of all, you keep changing your story. Originally it was "I have naturally BLACK resistent hair and a stylist used schwarzkopf's igora royal hair color in my hair w/ 30 vol. developer and it lifted 9 levels in 45 mins." Then later you say, "...But of course bleaching is the only thing that will get dark haired pple to whiteblonde."
Well, what do you think going from BLACK to Level 10 is?!

I'd be willing to bet you are NOT a natural Level 1, and you did not lift to Level 10. More likely you went from 3 to 9, at most.

And if you want to hear it from an expert, look no further than the articles on this very site:

[QUOTE]eth is adamant about the fact that double process blonding is the only guaranteed method to achieving a balanced, rich, blonde result on Level 4 (light brown) color or deeper. "Although many colorists use a high lift 'single process' permanent haircolor formula to create blonde results," she notes, "this ineffective method often results in an unattractive, 'school bus yellow,' golden-orange brassy result. Why? Because even the most effective high-lift blonde formulas do not thoroughly remove the underlying warm (orange and gold) pigment present in most natural darker hair. Some colorists think that use of a 40-volume developer and a high-lift shade equal that of a lightener -- and this is a mistake."

-- http://www.behindthechairs.com/displayarticle.aspx?ID=101&ITID=2

ok, IN that case u would lose the bet, becuz guess what? I have black black hair AND I went to a level nine NOT ten! Grrrr, first of all level 9 as in light light red, not BLONDE! I never have tried to dye my hair blonde so don't make assumptions, also i was just trying to help plus I wasn't contradicting myself, becuz level nine is NOT white blonde, white blonde is level 12 or something w/ a violet toner. There's a difference. Honey blonde is around level 6.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic