Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

does dawn really work??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peaches_41314 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peaches_41314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does dawn really work??
    Posted: March 09 2005 at 3:59pm
Recently pulled my black hair through a cap and streaked most of it blonde turned out badly so dyed it dark brown but it has red tint and orange look.. Will non ultra dawn liquid soap help fade the red and orange or could it completly take it out of my hair...
peaches_41314 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peaches_41314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 2:37pm
well i used it and it took some of the brown dye out and where i had blonde streaks in my hair it brought them out a little but it never took the red tones out of my hair..
atomicblue View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomicblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 2:39pm
I heard prell works really good as well as Tide..
irishroyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 9:52pm
Clairol makes UNcolor for permanent color emoval that is more gemtle to use on hair then bleach.
detergents will not take out color completely, after you use the UNcolor then tone with Clariol Complements demi permanent it doesn't contain ammonia so it's more gentle then permanent color.
PetaPixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetaPixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 12:42pm
don't use dawn -- it will dry out your hair immensely. I can't stress this enough.

Is your goal to remove the brown and have blonde hair?

If so, if you used a non-vegetable, *not* feria, permanent hair dye, apply some color fix. you can get it at sally's. You may need to apply 2 or 3 times, but if you have some time to kill and are willing to deep condition in between uses and spread it out over two or three days, this would be your best solution.

Hot oil, any clarifying shampoo, and hot water in the shower all help, as all dye will eventually fade.

Best bet though is to colorfix to an acceptable level, tone, or lightly bleech and tone, then use a color depositing shampoo or conditioner to counter act whatever orangieness might remain untill your hair is strengthened

Good luck
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 11:11pm
The problem here is that you're trying to fade something you cannot fade. That red/orange color is NOT the haircolor. It is the pigment in your hair. When you bleach black hair, it goes red, then orange, then yellow. You can use ColorFix to remove the brown dye, but your hair will probably just be orange underneath. You can then bleach the resulting orange lighter if you want blonde (bleach it yellow and tone it). Or if you just want brown hair that's not reddish, you can use an ash brown dye of the same level or darker that your hair is now.

If you want to color the highlights, but not the rest of your hair, use a semi-permanent ash brown. It will help neutralize the red tones without lightening the black hair.
LisainCalif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisainCalif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:47am
I agree, you need to use an ash brown to neutralize it.
Good luck,
Lisa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic