Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bohyme and remy hair -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hellokitty2 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellokitty2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bohyme and remy hair -
    Posted: December 09 2004 at 5:53am
what is the difference between remy and bohyme hair?
hellokitty2 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellokitty2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 9:04am
i know there are some really knowledgeable hair people on this website... does anyone know the difference? i am really curious
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 10:34am
Virgin Remi hair is hair that has not been processed. It's cut off the donors head, wefted and then sent to you. All the cuticles are in the same direction, no processing has been done on the hair except being treated for lice. The hair usualy comes from India and comes in two colors either darkbrown or grey since this is the natural hair color of the donors. Once you receive the hair you can bleach it, perm it and color it any color of your choice.

Now Bohyme hair says it's remi hair but I dont' think it is. It's obvioulsy been processed because it comes in an array of colors so it's been dyed somewhere along the line. Bohyme is just the brand name.

I've really only heard good things about Bohyme, but I've never used it myself. I've read that Bohyme strips the hair of it's cuticles and processes it and I've read they keep the cuticles in tact. So I don't know.

Hope this helps.
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 12:58pm
The way I've understood it is that Remi is just a grade of hair... not to mean virgin, but just to mean of premium quality.

Here's what I've heard:
Extension hair is gathered in two ways, one by putting it in a pony tail and cutting it off keeping all the cuticles in tact; and second by collecting in from brushes and bagging it (I heard that somewhere and I know that sounds pretty bad!).

Then there's a few ways it is processed:
Just as we can go to a salon and bleach our hair in 20min, a lot of companies also use harsh chemicles to process their hair to get hair that was once black to be an entire array of colors. This strips the hair and makes the texture horrible! They then put a nice layer of silicon over the hair which makes it soft and beautiful.... this is what we see when we buy it..... A couple washes and the silicon layer is gone and we have a huge mess!!!!

The difference with Bohyme is that they don't do this 20minute process.... The chemicles are too harsh on hair. Instead they use very gentle chemicles and the process takes 10 days to get the color out.... much better! This gentle and long process is great for the hair and allows the quality of it to be the best there is out there. They then can put whatever colors they want back into it and make the variety of colors you see it sold in.

I've tried tons of hair and I will only use Bohyme (which is remi) hair.

-Kristin
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 4:19pm
Remi, Cuticle, and Virgin is all the same. It's high quality hair that comes from one donor and the cuticles lie in the same direction. It is the best hair available. It comes in the colors from the donor which is usually black, dark brown, light brown or grey.

Cuticle and Virgin hair have not been processed. If hair has been colored or processed it is no longer Virgin but can still be called Remi if the cuticles are still facing the same direction.

You can do a search on the net and they will all tell you the same thing

Bohyme, while I've heard is a very good brand of hair, has been processed and is no longer virgin hair. And I question whether it's really remi hair due to how they describe how their hair is collected and processed.

If you enter "Bohyme Hair" in google. The very first search results tells you this about Bohyme:

We are a distributor of BOHYME® hair and we believe hair quality begins with raw materials and step-by-step quality control. BOHYME® hair is made from healthy and youthful hair, which goes through extensive control methods to ensure exceptional quality. Since cuticles are the main reason hair tangles, their exclusive method ensures all hair cuticles are removed so no tangling occurs. Because of their endless efforts to ensure the best, BOHYME® hair will always deliver:

This above description is clearly not Remi, Virgin, or Cuticle hair.

Also because Bohyme hair has been colored and comes in array of textures, it's obviously processed and In my opinion begins a gray area as to whether it should be called Remi

You can even go to the Bohyme website and they say they they collect their hair strand by strand and inspect it to make sure the cuticles face the same direction. If you cut a ponytail of an indian girl, and sew it up I'm not sure how the cuticles would change direction. I think they do just as they say, collect it strand by strand but the chances of cuticles getting turned around is high so they process it.

Again, I don't really question the quality of Bohyme hair because I've only heard good things about it and I'm even going to order some and try it out but it's my opinion that they've found a way to process the hair so it's of good quality.

Also the price of Bohyme hair is not reflective of true Remi hair. For example here are two sites that I know are 100% remi and they average $50 an ounce or $200 a pack versus Bohyme's $80 a pack.

http://blissenterprisesonline.com/products.htm

http://www.worldviewdesign.com/optimalhealthweightloss/optimal7.htm

Also another reason why I don't think Bohyme is Remi hair is because they say you can do braids with it and you can't do micro braids or pinch braids with hair that is Remi because you have to fold the hair and once folded the cuticles are in oposite directions which will cause massive tangling. You can only do braids or fold hair that have cuticles removed.

Here is a link that further explains remi hair
http://www.agapecollection.com/store.htm

Again, I think the Bohyme brand may be pretty good but I question if it's true Remi or just really good processed hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 9:52pm
(edited)

This is what is printed on my packages of Bohyme hair:

"BOHYME is the name trusted by top salon professionals worldwide. It is the first 100% remi human hair available in the market, the highest quality available to you and your customers. Remi hair is exclusive to the BOHYME line of 100% human hair. BOHYME begins by selecting the best raw materials. We only use healthy and youthful hair, which goes through our extensive control methods to ensure exceptional quality. Each strand is hand picked strand by strand to ensure the cuticle layers are aligned in the same direction so no tangling occurs. Because of our endless efforts to ensure the best and use of the most advanced technology, BOHYME will consistantly deliver: Superior quality, full body, lusted, and a long life."

That's a different than what Afropuffs said above.... The package says it has cuticles... not that it strips the hair of them.... Hmmm....

Afropuffs, I googled what you said to above and didn't find your quote. Can you please send me the link so I can check it out?

Price doesn't always=quality and as you can see from this site many people have spent thousands of dollars on crappy hair.

Good luck!

-Kristin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 10:01pm
Check out Bohyme.com

You'll find my quote on there....

AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 11:30pm
Google the words "Bohyme Hair" and its the first search result. You can't miss it.

After doing more research on this, it's my opinion that Bohyme is a really good quality hair but it is not Remi hair.

This paragraph came directly from the main supplier of Bohyme hair SuperHairFactory

Q: Do you carry high quality human hair for braiding?

A: YES, we do carry some textures for braiding, such as 20" Yaki and 20" Natural wave. However, the other textures are excellent for braiding too. What you need to do is just to cut the hair off the track before braiding. Most of our hair braiding customers use this high quality human hair for micro-braiding or tree-braiding. Back to top

You can NOT do micro braids with Remi hair that has the cuticles all facing in the same direction. You have to fold the hair and now half of the hair's cuticle is facing in the opposite direction and it would tangle like nobodie's business.

Also you can't color or perm Bohyme hair. Bohyme hair may have the cuticles all facing in the same direction but they do some kind of processing that either seals or removes the cuticle because it's difficult to change the color and texture of the hair and Bohyme does not recommend coloring it. True Remi vendors encourage it.

Also according to superhairfactory.com The hair is from mixed origins. It is not cut from one donor. They get the hair from multiple sources and attempt to align the cuticles in the same direction(a process that I think is impossible but okay) But they admit to doing "special processing" In my opinion they do this "special processing" to ensure a cuticle is not facing the opposite direction.

True remi hair is cut from one donor, wefted and mailed to you. The odds of the cuticles getting misaligned are slim therefore there is no need to do this "special processing" that Bohyme does.

But anyway, I ordered a few packs of Bohyme hair to check out. I hear it's good hair and I'm anxious to try it but It's my opinion that it's not Remi hair but yet a very good processed hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 12:01am
I guess we differ on our definiton of Remi which I don't believe is ment to mean "virgin" hair and instead to mean of "premium quality". It seems like you think Remi means virgin... I don't know the true answer to that but I know Bohyme is processed and it still says Remi so in my opinion Remi couldn't possibly mean virgin.... maybe someone could help us figure this out down the road....

If it was virgin hair it would be next to impossible to get a consistant color when ordering it. If you ordered one package and expected it to be all one doner I would think the entire package would have different shades in it (I know my natural hair color gets much lighter on top from sun exposure).

I've also been told that you can braid with bohyme hair but you need to make one piece that folds over longer than the other and snip the shorter one a little under where the braid is that way the cuticles are all going one direction... If you wanted to fold it back over and have equal lengths on both sides you would need like 30" hair or even longer just to get shoulder length extensions.... This way makes little sense unless you can find 40" hair to get a decent 18" extensions.

As for the what you said about google'ing it, I tried again and I can't find what you're talking about with removing cuticles.... a link would be nice

I would also tend to believe Bohyme's home page (bohyme.com) over one of it's distributers....
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 2:10am
I wish I had some knowledge to throw in to the mix but I am completely confused on this issue. There are so many web sites with conflicting information that it''''s difficult to tell what the actual definition is for both types of hair.

All I know is that I''''ve spent an unreal amount of money on certain types of hair only to find them to be the cheapest quality. I''''ve spent less and had better. And then I''''ve ordered the exact same type, color, and length from the same company and not had them be the same.

It''''s a damn crap shoot sometimes.

AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 8:20am
Yes we can agree to disagree.

But like I said, I'm willing to at least try Bohyme hair. I've explored your position but you aren't willing to even attempt to explore mine so I'm spent.

I personally don't think you've really read what I wrote so I'm not going to spend much more time on this subject. Because I clearly said that you CAN braid with Bohyme hair and you agreed but are still debating me on that.

I provided you with links that defined Remi. "Hair with cuticles in tact and all face in the same direction." Bohymes hair obviously has the cuticles removed because you can't color it or alter the hair with say a curly perm.

If Bohyme works for you Krisitn then that's all that matters. It's my opinion that Bohyme shouldn't be called Remi Hair because the cuticles, while may have faced the same direction at some point, in the end are no longer present because if they were, you'd be able to color it, perm it and you couldn't braid with it.

As far as the link. As I stated before, it's the first result after you enter "Bohyme Hair" It's a suppliers site that's been authorized to sell Bohyme hair.

https://www.venushairworld.com/cart/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1234&Product_Code=48418516&Category_Code=1

But in the end, if you find this hair works for you then that's all that should matter. I have used pure Remi hair and now I've ordered the Bohyme hair so that I be an informed user and decide for myself which is the best hair for me. I just may find that Bohyme is the best thing in the world but I still would be reluctant to call it Remi hair as I define Remi to be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 4:45pm
For some reason the link wouldn''t open from my house but I checked it elsewhere and it finally did (yay!).

I''m not trying to not see your side, I''m just trying to get it figured out for my own benefit. I would like to know all there is to know about extensions so if something I thought was true isn''t, I would like to know.

I have been investigating it further because I do want to know what exactly Remi means... I even posted it yesterday on another chat room....

Here''s what I was told:

---I thought it meant that all the hair in a bundle had been cut from the same head, thus requiring less processing. I can''t see how it could be virgin when you can order it in any of the standard colors- and I''ve never seen anyone with #27 hair naturally. At the very least, Remy''s got to be dyed. Mind you, I''m no expert on this- I just think I read that somewhere once...

---At one time it meant that it was virgin unprocessed cuticle hair, all cut from the same head. Now days, from my understanding there are about 3 different grades of remi hair.
Standard remi- hair is in the same direction. Not necessicarily all from the same head. May have the cuticle removed. And is dyed.
Cuticle remi- still has the cuticle, has been dyed.
Virgin remi- has cuticle, has not been dyed.

You can check it for yourself at:
http://p080.ezboard.com/fhair18356frm6.showMessage?topicID=999.topic

Jennifer_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 5:07pm
I don't have much to add here, either. But I'm suspicious of companies that claim their hair is virgin or all cut from the same head when it's wine-red or platinum blonde and 28 inches long. I just don't see how that's possible without tons of dyeing and bleaching, which, of course, would seriously damage the cuticle--not to mention straightening, perming, relaxing, and so on.

I also don't see how all the hair from one person's head would stay in tact after processing and distribution, and then be enough for another person's head, but I suppose it's possible.

I agree with AMM that these things are a bit of a crap shoot. I've paid lots of money for hair that wasn't so great, and have been pleasantly surprised with some cheaper kinds. I think a lot of it depends on your own hair and taste.
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 6:10pm
Edited because I misread.

But Bohyme,Remi, or whatever else. I think all hair is trial and error. What works for one may not work another.

When it comes to weave, because it's no longer attached to the follicle, we can't expect it to be perfect. So people have to use what works for them.

When my bohyme arrives I'll report back on how I like it
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Jennifer_R Jennifer_R wrote:

I don't have much to add here, either. But I'm suspicious of companies that claim their hair is virgin or all cut from the same head when it's wine-red or platinum blonde and 28 inches long. I just don't see how that's possible without tons of dyeing and bleaching, which, of course, would seriously damage the cuticle--not to mention straightening, perming, relaxing, and so on.

I also don't see how all the hair from one person's head would stay in tact after processing and distribution, and then be enough for another person's head, but I suppose it's possible.

Hi Jennifer. This is my point exactly. Bohyme hair is collected strand by strand, dyed, and texturized. The cuticles have obviously been compromised.

When I order Pure Remi hair. It only comes in the color of the donor which is usually Dark brown since it comes from India. You can only order it in straight or wavy and if you want color or texture to it, you have to have it done. Some places will do it for you though for extra cost but they no longer consider it virgin. But with pure remi, it's literally cut off the girls head, immediatly wefted, and mailed out. No processing except treatment for lice is done.

Jennifer_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 6:38pm
Interesting. Is there a lot of difference between the way these types of hair look and feel? Would it make sense, for example, to buy Remi virgin, if you just have to dye or perm it yourself anyway? Or does it make more sense to buy the hair pre-treated? What's the cost difference? And what have you had the most luck with? (Again, I'm not very knowledgable about different kinds of hair. I've used hisandher cuticle, which I thought was great, but I've also gotten hair that's pretty good for a much better price....)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 7:01pm
(edited)

As to above with stating you can do braids with it.... I was just simply saying how I've been told to do it so it doesn't fold over and become a tangled mess....

I just was unsure as to if remi=virgin=cuticle.....

Never the less, I plan on finding out because I simply want to know..... I'm not saying you're wrong... Infact, I appreciate your input...

I'll let you know when I find out anything.... we'll see, maybe you're right....

AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 8:14pm
I apologize. I misread your post. I thought you said "I'm not trying to see your side". I'll edit my post.

But good luck on your quest to define Remi hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 8:49pm
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Jennifer_R Jennifer_R wrote:

Interesting. Is there a lot of difference between the way these types of hair look and feel? Would it make sense, for example, to buy Remi virgin, if you just have to dye or perm it yourself anyway? Or does it make more sense to buy the hair pre-treated? What's the cost difference? And what have you had the most luck with? (Again, I'm not very knowledgable about different kinds of hair. I've used hisandher cuticle, which I thought was great, but I've also gotten hair that's pretty good for a much better price....)

Well I personally like pure virgin remi because it doesn't tangle and matt like beauty supply store hair. I wear my hair dark so the remi hair from India is fine with me, I did have to dye some batches darker though because the brown was too light, but some batches were a good match. I know some girls who bleach the hair and then dye it the color they want.

But with me being black, I find the texture of remi hair is too fine when I want to wear it straight and I have blending issues. Which is why I'm eager to try Bohyme because it's been texturized to blend with black hair. If it can keep it's bounce and swing for months on end then this will be the hair for me. Regardless if it's Remi or not. I'm looking for the best hair.

As far as price differences go. Bohyme is significantly cheaper than Remi hair from India. Prices have shot up in the past few months for remi.

But in answer to your question, Remi hair from India has worked very well for me in regards that it doesn't matt and tangle. The straight was too fine so I put a curly perm in it but I'm searching for a straight brand that can blend with my hair. Beauty Supply Store Yaki brand blends but it's useless after a week.

But again it's all trial and error. Everyone has to find the hair that works for them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic