Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair bond removing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nyc nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyc nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair bond removing
    Posted: December 30 2004 at 7:41pm
I have been wearing hair weaves for about 4 years now and usually go with the method of track hair being applied with hair bonder. I have also had the weave sewn into cornrows but usually find that method too tight and bumpy. The problem that I have with the hair bonder is that it is so hard to be removed from the hair. Can anyone suggest a really good method of removing hair glue bonder that will not damage my scalp in the process or leave a ton of bond residue? I came across liquid gold bond remover- has anyone tried this? Bonding with tracks gives a great flat look but the removal process is nerve wrecking.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:03pm
I have no experience with weaves specifically, but I've used oils to remove strand-by-strand extensions bonds before, and it works quite well. If it doesn't remove the bond completely, at least it loosens it up to the point that removal becomes much easier (if that makes any sense).

I would recommend trying vegetable oil (olive or baby oil might also work) and soaking the bonded section in that overnight. Then, try to remove them, keeping some acetone handy.

Someone else also mentioned a product called "Take Down," which apparently works quite well for removal. If you search the threads, you should be able to find it; it was only mentioned in the past few days or so.

Good luck!

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:12pm
What type of glue are you talking about? Latex is a PAIN to remove. You could try the liquid gold remover, it claims to remove ANY type of bonding glue. Oily type removers and LOTS of patience is required with latex removal. The liquid gold is a great glue and much easier to remove but I never use the LG remover, I use acetone based remover or just acetone from the beauty supply store. It works really well for liquid gold bond Ive but never tried it on latex.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:33pm
nyc nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyc nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 11:59pm
Thanks Sherrie and Jenny. Do you know if liquid gold bond can be used on track hair instead of the latex based bonder- that is what I was using. What a sticky mess!
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 10:45am
I was using the Chrissy V system of weft bonding on my clients for a while and that was a latex based bond.

The remover is acetone for that system and probably for most latex systems. If I had used oil on that adhesive it would not have done anything.

Good luck!
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 4:41pm
yeah I used chrissy v for a long time, and it is really good glue, but very EXPENSIVE and apparently only sold to licensed stylists. I was referring to the cheap latex that you can buy anywhere for a couple of bucks. Chrissy V is a whole different type of latex that is far superiour to common latex glues. I started using liquid gold awhile back. It lasts as long for me and is fairly easy to remove.

Yes LG can be used for track bonding. If you look at LG website it has lot of different methods and tips for using the liquid gold. Really good website.
http://www.liquidgoldglue.com/store.html
nyc nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyc nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 4:46pm
Sherrie, do you like the liquid gold? I went all over trying to find it in beauty supply stores and no one has heard of it. I am going to order it from their site but wanted to speak to someone who has tried it. Does it leave any residue in your hair? Does it really stick together when dry? And does it damage your hair at all?
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 5:35pm
Yeah I like the Liquid Gold. Its really inexpensive, lasts WAY longer than cheap latex. Its easier to remove than latex. Its still a little work but to remove but not nearly as bad as latex. I will say though that if you try to remove LG bond before the bond starts to get weak, its harder to get out. That stuff bonds tight! If you really want to spend the money the chrissyv is good too and a BREEZE to remove. chrissyv is the easier of the two when it comes to removal. Oh by the way I dont use the LG remover I use acetone or acetone based remover, I think it works better.
I dont know about the bonding when dry...I do know that it helps to let it set up a bit before you press the weft to your parting ...I have read that too about LG will still bond after dry but Ive never tried it. As far as damage, I think the only damage would be from being careless during removal
ilovedoublea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovedoublea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 5:48pm
I use the LG and its awesome for strength but the remover is a pain to use, its not as easy as I thought it would be so Im going to try acetone, I looked everywhere for LG and found it at 1 salon here in Vegas but Im not sure where else except the web-site.
www.JoBugJewelry.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic