Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why synth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why synth?
    Posted: January 07 2005 at 8:48pm
why for long term wearing, would you go with synthetic hair?
It is what it is...
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 9:31pm
In my opinion, good quality synthetic hair looks, feels, and moves like real hair, its cheeper, and you can get it in lengths up to 50"

the only problem is you cant use hot tools on it. thats it.
juliejetson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliejetson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 9:35pm
A- If you use good quality synth, (Dome, Prohair,Trimco,Plastikhaar) And you treat it right it will last, and you cant really tell the difference between it and human extensions.

B- Its way cheaper than human hair.

C- Better color selection, None of the colors fade, ever.

Not everyone likes synth, but its worth it to try it out. Especially if you are new to extensions and you want to try them its best to start off with synth. It sucks when you dump a load of cash on Human Hair and turns out you or your scalp can't stand having extensions in. Its a good way to see if extensions are for you.
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 10:04pm
thanks for the info, do you know if you can do the shrinkies w/synthetic... because of the heat factor? Also, I've heard of attaching the heat method extensions using a hot marcel iron... the kind that you heat with a oven. That seems like it would eat up synthetic hair... anyone try it?
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 10:17pm
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 10:39pm
phew... thanks Jenny, you are so great.. I thought you were the site manager when I first started coming to this site.... you're definatly an extension trooper... thanks
It is what it is...
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 10:47pm
i am going with synth bc it is less expensive and i usually take out my extensions b4 their lifespan is over. also, i change haircolors a lot. so hair that lasts 9 months won't do me any good. three months is fine with me (if i last that long, i have no lasted longer than 6 weeks)

i love plastikhaar
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 10:56pm
I wore bonded extensions for 2 weeks... with shampooing them once in between -- yuck, they were matted and not a method good for long wear... i used human hair, i wanna say remi
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 11:19pm
LOL....No, I'm definitely not the site manager (I have no idea who is, actually)...just a lot of misspent time searching the Web and, admittedly, a complete hair freak....
OCGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 4:02am
So Bridget, are you saying that your real hair actually matted because of wearing the extensions? Will this happen if I wear shrinkies for a month a so?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 6:33am
I think Bridget meant the extensions, or Remy, hair matted, which can happen. But yes, imo, all real hair (your own) will matt a bit at the roots with permanent (not clip-in) extensions.

I can't vouch for wefts (because I've never had them), but with strand-by-strand techniques, it's just the nature of the beast: Your real hair is being grouped in little sections that you can't really brush, so if you have them in for over a month, there will probably be some matting when they're removed. Also, many of the 100 or so hairs you shed a day are going into those bonds, so there will surely be some stray hairs tangled up in the mix.

The longer you have your extensions in, the more they'll matt (which is another reason why I don't like to go more than 3 months without a tightening). Of course, some people's hair is just more matt-prone than others anyway, and if yours isn't prone to matting, you really shouldn't have any problems. If the hair is matted, just comb through it, and voila--the matting is gone. If the matting is really bad, I'm sure you could put a conditioning treatment on the roots, rinse it out, and, again, problem solved.

I've never really had a big problem with matting. As long as you separate the hair at the roots with your fingers every so often, and lightly brush around the bonds (or locs, braids, shrinks, whatever), it shouldn't be bad. The big problem is when you have a lot of matting combined with glue, because the glue can get stuck in the matting, and then it has to be sort of "picked" out, which is a big pain in the ass.

Anyway, matting is a little annoying but not a major problem, imo. It shouldn't deter you from getting extensions.

Matting of the extensions hair is a whole different story, and has a lot to do with the quality of the hair installed.
purrmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 8:56am
Another advantage of synth that I've read about is that it's half the weight of human hair, thus putting less stress on the hair it's attached to.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 9:41am
Yes, it should be lighter, too!
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 12:46pm
yes, the extensions matted... my hair felt so thin after they were out too. I think I just got used to all the weight and fullness in that 2 week time period wearing the remy. As far as I can remember the hair was a good quality, I think I spent $40 on one pack and I used 1 1/2 pks. Oil Sheen spray helps to break up the glue bonds too.
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:14pm
Just my opinion here (so take it for what it's worth), but if the extensions were matting within a week, that's not very good hair. The price ($40 a pack) isn't a lot to spend on human hair, so at least you didn't invest too much money, but they shouldn't have been matting up like that. Frankly, I doubt they were Remy (and the way "Remy" or "Remi" is defined is a whole 'nother story) given your description. Virtually all hair is defiined as Remy these days, but a lot of its not very good. Plus, there's Indian Remy and Asian Remy, the quality of the hair being quite different. And some companies call their hair "Remy" even though it's been stripped of all its cuticles, and if it has no cuticles it really won't last for more than a few months.

Again, just my opinion...:)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:29pm
And one more thing...what color were the extensions, Bridget? I'm convinced that the lighter colors are usually lower-quality than the darker colors, even within the same brand. Can you imagine what it takes to bring Asian hair up to 613 platinum blonde? It must really compromise the quality. I see what bleaching has done to my own hair (and I'm naturally dirty/dark blonde), and it ain't pretty. Again, just my opinion, but this is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to trying synth.

You also asked what's in my hair now, and it's primarily pinchbraids, with some random shrinks and microrings. I think all of these methods are pretty good for thin, fine hair, by the way. Before that, I had Hairlocs, Cinderlla, and Great Lengths (at separate times); each of those was a disaster for me (and much more expensive than what I'm doing now).

:)
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 1:34pm
you're prob. right... I didn't spend a lot on the hair because it was just for a bonding application... very temp.
I didn't know that about the remy hairs... I wish there was an easier way! good hair, and not so good hair! hehe ... and there's so many companies selling hair! I can go locally to purchase hair, but again I have a lot to learn yet! The internet is probably the best as far as variety and quality, where do you get your hair?
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 7:35am
I've gotten all my hair over the Internet and from extensionists who were installing certain brands, and I've tried tons of varieties at this point. The best hair I ever had was the Cuticle Hair from hisandher (but the color was black, so I can't vouch for what the blonde would be like, and it was very expensive--like $800 for a head's worth). The Great Lengths hair I had was quite good, too, but I paid $1200 for it (just the hair, not the installation), which is, of course, outrageous--it was good, but not THAT good.

These days, I spend anywhere from $150 to $400 for a head's worth, and honestly, the hair has ranged from decent to crappy. Oftentimes, it looks quite good after styling, but it just doesn't wear as well as the premium stuff or last for more than three months (at least not for me). In addition, I think that it not only depends on the brand you buy; you can get good batches or bad batches of the same exact brand. So it's a crapshoot.

Some reasonably priced hair that gets consistently decent reviews are Bohyeme, Glamourhair's silky straight remy (not the wavy textures), and Hairpiece's 909 and 101. I don't think any of these is the best hair in the world or anything, but I do think they're consistently good and a fair value. Sherrie also seems to get a good deal on her hair, too, so you might want to ask her.

Human hair is an expensive pain in the ass, as far as I'm concerned, so I'm hoping to have more success with synth. As a professional, of course, you'd probably want to offer both to your clients. :)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 7:42am
Oh, and one more thing I should mention: I wash, blow-dry, and curl the ends of my hair almost every day, and sometimes I flatiron it, too. So I'm sure a lot of people would be able to preserve the quality of the hair for longer than I do. Also, whether hair "lasts" or not after a few months depends somewhat on your perspective. Some people might not mind if the hair's not in the best shape, while others are more picky. Most of mine just doesn't look very good after a couple of months, so I switch it out, but I've only had one batch of hair that was literally trashed after two months. That was an Italian Minx blend from hairaddition.com; the Italian Minx's are very fine strands, so it probably wasn't a good choice for me. Some people seem to really like it, though. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic