Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair coming out at roots, why why why?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair coming out at roots, why why why?
    Posted: January 16 2005 at 3:05pm
Well, if any of you have been reading my other threads, you know that I put in a few test strands using the fusion method. Well everything has been great for a week, then all of the sudden when I was inspecting them this morning, I noticed a bunch of my natural hair had come out at the roots! Does anyone know what causes this? Thinkng about it, I may have bonded them too close to the scalp, BUT the hair has grown enough so that the the bonds aren't close to the scalp anymore. So why 'all of the sudden', sometime within the past 3 days, did my natural hair start coming out at the root! I would have thought that if the bonds were too close to the scalp, that would have happened earlier, instead of now that the hair has grown and the bonds aren't close to the scalp anymore. Anyone have any ideas?
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 3:35pm
If they were placed too close to the scalp to begin with that may have caused your hair to be pulled out even though you say it's grown a bit.

The way you brush it matters too. I always hold mine in a pony-tail to brush out the ends and I use an extension brush on the scalp. If you don't use an extension brush you may be getting the brissles caught in between the bond and your scalp (ouch!)...

What about tight up-do's? These can also affect your extensions.

One last thing... maybe try putting less hair in the bond so it's not as heavy. Your hair might not be able to support the weight of the extension.

I hope that helps,
Kristin
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 3:43pm
Everything Kristin said.

Also, having too little hair in a fusion bond will tear it out at the roots because there's not enough to support the weight.

Revaluate this head of extensions and consider having them all removed pronto. Leaving them in with an ongoing problem could be devestating.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 3:46pm
I'm sorry to hear about this, Bird.

And I have to agree with AMM; I think you should take them out as soon as possible.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide to do. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 3:49pm
I only have 3 strands in right now. I was testing them out before I put a whole head in. I am going to take them out and put in a few more test strands further away from the scalp. Someone on another thread mentioned 1/2 inch from the scalp. Does this sound right? I also read somewhere to make the partings about 1/4 inch. What do you think?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 3:52pm
Whew...they were only test strands! Excellent!

I think the 1/4 partings sound good. I don't know about 1/2 inch from the root though. That actually sounds too far away to me, but of course, I don't do fusion. I'm sure others will be able to advise you better. Good luck! :)
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 3:58pm
1/2 inch sounds kinda far... I usually go about 1/4, just so there's no tension.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 5:29pm
That may have been me that said 1/2 inch. Sorry I never did too well in math! Yes I believe the normal application is 1/4 inch. But personally I have to attach them a bit further do to the fact that my hair is thinner, finer and more sparse in areas. So my sectioning has to be a bit bigger. If I attach them 1/4 inch from the scalp the are way too tight and pull far too much, which is way worse than attaching them a bit further from the root. But I would say from looking at a ruler they are not a full 1/2 inch from the scalp. Sorry girls....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 6:02pm
So Sherrie, what size is your sectioning? Maybe I should try bigger sectioning too. Oh, what method are you using too? Just curious.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 6:38pm
Bird I just do them just a little bigger than the 1/4 inch normal size. I dont do any hand fusion at ALL anymore, so please dont take my comments as gosspel, as my comments are from memory and you know what they say about age!...... I gave up on the hand fusion cause the preglued wand fusion was so much easier! I just think the preglued strands took alot of the work out of it...always the right amount of glue always uniform size bonds etc......(I took the easier route)
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 6:51pm
ohhh, I have the preglued strands with wand fusion currently and so do the other ladies that I do regularly. I still do some weft bonding but usually anyone who continues wearing extensions want to go to the methods that last longer, just for the convience of not redo-ing every 5 weeks or so. I totally intend to switch over to the shrinkies and synthetic, but I think I still have a bit of experimenting and learning to do with the synthetic, so my next set ( which Im over due for) will either be another wand/fusion set or I may go back to the weft/bond temporarily.
purrmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 12:30pm
This 1/4" from the head rule has got me thinking - When I get pinchbraids done, they are done right at the scalp. There is some slight tension for a couple of days, is this ok or asking for problems?
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 12:45pm
I think your ok, I think pinchbraid are supposed to be put in right to the scalp, to avoid slipping. Jenny has pinchbraids so Im sure she can answer that one better than I can.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 1:36pm
Hey Purr,

Having some tension for a few days after getting pinchbraids is perfectly normal; it happens to me all the time. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's actually painful (in which case, of course, something would be wrong). The braids loosen up so fast--in a matter of days--that they really need to done quite close to the scalp.

The fact is, I don't think there's the same risk with pinchbraids of going too close to the scalp as there is with fusion simply because it's not as easy to get them as close as the bonding glue. While you're braiding the hair downward with the extension hair and tying the string, some natural loosening seems to occur anyway, because you're braiding in a downward motion. I'm probably not explaining this very well; it might be clearer what I mean if you look at Rae's tutorial: http://www.hairalchemy.com/tutorial/index.html
I'm not an expert on pinchbraids at all, but that's my theory.

That said, it's very possible to do other kinds of braiding--like cornrows--too tight, but in that case, the hair is being braided right up against the scalp, instead of with loose hair in the downward direction in which the hair grows.

Anyone who has done this method and has more expertise, please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's my best guess.

:)
lisa lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 11:24am
Hi BirdOfEden, After what I went through with fusion, I would have to say stay away from that particular method all together. I don't think where you apply them is gonna make a big difference as far as them pulling out your own hair. I would suggest any type of microlink method where the links are clamped onto your hair, and when they do slide out, they make take a few pieces of your own hair but not all of the hair that the extension is attached to. Also, when you have maintenance, it's so much easier, and less damaging to the hair. Hope this helps!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic