Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extensions for thinning hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DinaJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DinaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extensions for thinning hair?
    Posted: January 29 2005 at 6:57pm
I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm new to this board.
I am 42 and have female patterned baldness (basically, thinning hair, especially in the front and along the middle part). It's getting to the point where I want to do something, I just don't know what. My mom has always worn a full wig and that is one thing I refuse to do. I want it to look and be as natural as possible. I also have a large forehead so would love to have bangs. What is the safest method, if any, for extensions for my hair type? I read I should stay away from fusion because that could be too damaging. Any recommendations?
TIA!
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 7:04pm
Hi DenaJ and welcome to the board. There are wonderful and helpful people here.

Below is a link to whats called a top closure. Its supposed to be sewn in to cover the top of sewed in wefts but it can also be used to cover pattern baldness. You described yours as front and down the middle. This piece could be glued in, or even put in with micro rings.

http://www.hairpiece.com/product.asp?pf_id=APE950

There are also integration pieces, kind of like a mini wig, its very small and made for the spot you need it and you can pull your own hair through the netting to make it look very natural.

In fact, look at the front page for that piece, it has lots of good ideas.

http://www.hairpiece.com/dept.asp?dept_id=08-001
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 7:21pm
Hi Dina,

Welcome to the boards! Your question is a pretty complex one, so let me begin by saying that I think it's great that you're taking the step to find a cosmetic solution. It can be very difficult--and overwhelming--but the good news is, there are various options out there; the key is finding what's right for you.

Extensions may or may not be an option, depending on the extent of your hairloss. Extensions are primarily best for adding length, and to some extent volume, to healthy hair, but if you have significant thinning (a very wide part, bald spots), extensions will not address those issues and could, in fact, make matters worse. Also, because any extensions method puts some stress on the hair, you really need to have enough hair to begin with--without excessive shedding--for them to work out. Particualrly the hair on the top of your hair needs to be long enough and voluminous enough to cover the bonds, locs, links, wefts (or whatever method you're using) that would be attached underneath.

Without actually seeing your hair, it's hard for me to guess whether you'd be a good candidate or not. As far as bangs go, extensions would not enable you to have bangs, although a topper would. In fact, there are toppers and integration pieces that many women are using with great success that look incredibly natural and nothing like a traditional wig. I've seen some photos of toppers that look so natual that I would never know they weren't real hair. In many cases they look a lot more natural than extensions do.

As far as fusion goes, I would definitely not recommend it. Some people have success with fusion--even some people with hairloss--but it's way too risky, imo.

There are many extensions and hairloss resources on this thread: http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=2633

More specifically, I would suggest that you visit the heralopecia.com forums, under cosmetic solutions. It's a great community of women there, and they've tried lots of different methods and are very helpful. I'm a member over there myself, and have found those boards phenomenally valuable.

As you may have guessed, I've experienced some hairloss myself, although I'm now thinking it's more stress- and environment-related than genetic. That said, because my hair's quite thin, it's pretty hard to conceal the extensions, especially on a windy day. I think with my level of thinning, I can get away with extensions, and my hair appears to be growing back somewhat, so hopefully everything will improve. But for anyone with more advanced hairloss, I would not recommend extensions at all--toppers and integration pieces would be much better.

Here are some resources:
Hairloss Sites
Heralopecia: http://www.heralopecia.com/forum/
Keratin: http://www.keratin.net/forums/
Hairsite: http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php
Hairloss Groups
MSN Hair Habits: http://groups.msn.com/HairHabitsProgress
MSN Wig Support: http://groups.msn.com/WigSupport

Again, welcome to the boards, and congratulations on taking this step. Please let me know if I can be of any help, and if you drop by Heralopecia, tell the girls Jenny_RR says hi!

:)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 7:26pm
LOL--Emma and I are posting simultaneously!

One other thing about the integration pieces and toppers: You can have them woven in, too. It's not necessarily as comfortable as shaving the head and having them bonded on (which is what a lot of people eventually do), but it will enable you to preserve your own hair.

If you go over to Heralopecia, check out Miamigirl's posts--she's also a member here and just got a topper a few months ago and is having a lot of success with it. :)

Good luck!
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 9:47am
Hi Dina...the girls are right the worst thing u can do for thining hair is to wear extensions as the extensions will cause weight on the hair and it will pull out. I work at a place called LucindaEllery in London UK and we deal alot with thinning hair etc...take a look at the web site www.LucindaEllery.com we do some amazing stuff there and I'm sure if u are elsewhere in the world then there are places which carry out the same techniques we use.

x
It doesn't have to be natural to be fabulous!!!/
purrmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 10:12am
I was under the impression that Lucinda Ellery recommends extensions for people with thinning hair, as long as they have enough to cover the bonds, and as long as enough natural hair is available to support the weight of the extension strands. Am I wrong?

The main problem I see with using extensions for thinning hair is that if the hair is going through increased shedding, you lose the hair that the extension is attached too, thus resulting in further hair loss.
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 10:44am
Yeah, you've got to be careful not to put -too- much weight on the hair. But this can sometimes be as simple as just making bigger sections on the scalp to attach the extensions to.

-Rae
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 2:29pm
Lucinda Ellery use a few different techniques....true that u do need to have some hair to support the mesh frame....but i have seen practically bald people leave with a head of hair all the while the hair is proteced and left to either grow back or is left alone. For really severe cases there are other methods.

x
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 2:42pm
for thinning hair I wouldnt recommend hair extensions at all, I would recommend an intergration wig.
Aeone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 5:50am
Hi Dina :)

I also have fine, thinning hair, and I'm also going to give extensions a whirl :) Not for length, but for a bit of thickness here and there.

I wasn't so sure at first, either, but after reading all the various methods, I've decided to try out the shrinkie method first.

I can totally agree w/Jenny's comments ...Being able to wear strand-by-strand extensions really depends on the extent of your hairloss.

The heralopecia forums are also an excellent resource! Good luck! <3
Kimmyh51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmyh51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 9:08pm

I use a topper after trying varios extension methods for a year - the topper looks much more natural and costs me less - i wear it attached with a few micro links so that it stays in 24/7

with extensions I found that they are too visible - if your hair is thin on top the very area you need to thicken up - you cant because the attachments show

wehn i ook at some of the picturs of me in extensions now i think OMG how coudl i go out in public like that

also my natural hair is fluffy and frizzy as a result of the alopecia - it looks so much smoother and healthier now

noe one knows its a topper except a few friends I have told & they say my hair looks waaay better with it and that they'd never knwo if i hadnt told them

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic