Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dye, weft! Dye!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dye, weft! Dye!
    Posted: January 31 2005 at 11:49pm
I still have a bunch of Special Effects hair dye left over from my pink/purple/red/blue hair college days. So, since I'm having so much fun with shrinkie highlights, I bought a pack of 613 human hair and went color crazy. It's just the Sassy brand from Sally's ($24 for 18"). I wonder if I can get away with cheaper hair if it's just highlights?

Here's the section of weft I snipped off before coloring. At the top, you see the colors I used (from L to R): Atomic Pink, Mixer/Toner, and Cherry Bomb. The very top is actually straight Cherry Bomb, so it's a little darker. I painted the mixture on, turned it over, painted the other side, let it sit while I cleaned up the inescapable mess, and shampooed it in cold water. I actually shampooed it a couple times because I'd hate that magenta to bleed onto my almost-white streaks. Hang it out to dry, slap on some silicone gloss (where did my CitreShine spray go?), and voila!

That's some bright hair! I can probably get about ten streaks out of it (I like thinner ones so the bond is smaller). And I still have a lot of hair left to turn all sorts of other colors.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 8:58am
Is Special Effects permanent? I used to use Manic Panic, and it was very temporary.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 11:31am
Special Effects isn't supposed to be permanent, but on severely processed hair like this, it should last quite a long time. Atomic Pink in particular lasts forever. I used it in my real hair and even bleach only faded it--it never completely came out. So at worst, I'll end up with a lighter shade of magenta. I have found that Special Effects lasts longer than Manic Panic. The Garment District is the best place I've found to buy it. Even with the super-cheap (and supposedly slow) shipping, it takes less than a week to get from NY to CA.

Oh, and I was crazy to think that would only make ten strands. I tipped them last night and made 30 from that eight or so inches of weft.
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 12:11pm
I used a few dyes to try to get funky colors but they ended up bleeding all over my blonde hair. UGH! They faded fast and didn't last. If this dye you bought works please let us know because I'd love to find something that does
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 12:46pm
Kristin, this stuff does tend to bleed a bit, some colors more than others. That's why I would recommend washing the weft a few times before tipping it. You might need to wash it like ten times until it doesn't bleed anymore. My hair is dark, so it's not much of a concern to me...if a blonde highlight turns too pink I can take it out.

I'll probably install tomorrow or Thursday, so I'll report how the color is holding after a couple weeks of washing.
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 1:33pm
Can't you mix some developer with temporary colors to make it more permanent?

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 5:47pm
Hopefully I'm not taking this too O/T, but I've heard there are much more potent crazy colors available in Europe than the United States. I heard they're not FDA approved here, but they produce a lot of the Manic Panic and Special Effects shades but last much longer.

Does anyone know about this?
:)
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 7:05pm
AfroPuffs, I've never tried mixing veggie dye with developer, but I don't think it would do much. And in this case, developer wouldn't help, since it's purpose is to lift the cuticle, and this hair is so cheap I'm sure that if it even has much cuticle left, it's been blown wide open. I just know that with damaged hair, veggie dye is usually one of the best things to use because it stains the hair instead of going through the oxidative process.

And Jenny, I don't know about non-FDA approved dyes or anything, but I know it's a lot easier to get dyes we classify "professional" if you live in the UK. I know Supervixxen is always recommending Redken Shades EQ to people looking for permanent bright red color who also happen to live in the UK. She can get it here because she has a cosmetology license...it's a similar situation to how folks in the UK can get ProStyles and we in the US can't.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 7:09pm
OK, I get it. Thanks for the info.! :)
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 7:17pm
I washed the hair that I dyed many times (more than 10 for sure). I didn't finish until the water went clear as I washed it. Anywho, They still bled and faded completely out in just a few washes. I think it was Manic Panic or something else from Sallys....

Let us know in a few washes how it goes.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 12:51pm
Here's the one week update on the neon pink hair. Up until an hour ago (and I'll get to that story in a sec) the pink was as neon as ever. I can't tell if the color bleeds when I wash because the color on the rest of my hair is still turning the water pinkish.

As of right now, it's faded to a medium pink, but that's because I used One n' Only Curl Remover this morning (the same folks who make Color Fix). It really faded all of my haircolor, but my hair is straight...now to see how long it stays that way. Anyway, you should not put a chemical straightener on cheap BSS hair...I only did because I was too lazy to take the three strands out, and I figured if I ruined them, oh well, I've got lots more. So, I think after the curl remover, the cheap pink-dyed strands are close to melt-down, but they're still pink.

I do think it's worth a try to buy a bottle of Special Effects if you want to turn some human hair funky colored. Not all colors last really well, however. I know for a fact that Atomic Pink lasts forever--it takes bleach or some other chemical to remove it. You'd have to test other colors to see how they last, but it's only like $10 (including shipping) to buy a bottle from the Garment District (see link above) and there are lots of color samples at www.amphigory.com/special_effects_hairdye.html (click the color name for the pictures)

On a side note, the 613 streaks I bought from Doc Locks would go wavy and poofy after washing, like my real hair, but the BSS hair stayed perfectly straight (this is, of course, before using the curl remover).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic