Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Malaysian Method

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malaysian Method
    Posted: February 05 2005 at 8:17pm
I think awhile ago someone had asked about the Malaysian method, and it was unclear exactly what that was. Here's a link I found anyway:
http://malaysianmethod.tripod.com/

:)
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 8:34pm
Oh come now. The Malaysian Method? It looks like a regular braided track to me. She probably just doesn't integrate synthetic in the braid which is what makes it thick. So what? A woman named Dena at hairpiece did a thing on me called a 'pole weave' using strong black string in the braids and it looked just like that. The tracks were super thin and flat and the wefts were sewn right on them. It was awesome. I explained the process to my usual track weaving stylist (who is black), she practiced a little on her wig head, and presto chango: she learned it on her own.
And this gal is charging people $750 to do that?! This business really is a license to steal sometimes.
BTW, Jenny, you do find an amazing amount of information!! I've learned so much from the links you've supplied I can't tell you.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 8:41pm
That's cool. I really don't know much about tracks, but I've seen a few salon websites referring to this technique, and I had no idea what it was--do they do this sort of thing in Malaysia? Who knows. There are so many names for similar methods and hair, it's dizzying. I have seen pictures of "pole weaving" before, and this does look very similar.

By the way, I wasn't at all suggesting that anyone should buy anything from that website. I pasted the link just to show people what the "Malaysian method" apparently refers to.

:)
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 8:45pm
Of course not! I think everybody knows that, Jenny. And anyway - think anyone on this board would fork over their money anywhere without thoroughly investigating first?! LOL
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 9:34pm
I certainly hope they wouldn't. But every once in a while, we have someone stop by who's paying like $3000 for extensions that are ruining their hair. Or someone who thinks their $50 platinum extensions are geniune Russian hair because their stylist said so. Or others who are just one step away from setting their heads on fire. (That's when we have to do an intervention--LOL!) :)
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 9:44pm
I think the 'Malaysian Method' was created by a stylist named Lisha Coleman. www.lisha.com

I haven't tried the Malaysian method, but off of the Lisha website I did buy the video tape on the 'Secure locking ' method and the custom Ingetration. Both were very informative and seemed like good methods. I just couldn't seem to the the secure locking method to stay in very fine hair, but it is a unique way to make a track in hair. The integration tape is great.

All of Lisha's tapes are pricey, but I am able to write it off as a business expense.

I very highly considering purchasing the video on how to do the micro illusion method. I love learning new hair extension stuff.
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:22am
The Malaysian Method.........

Is created by taking a small piece of hair and making a small
ponytail. Start threading around it about 3 times creating a knot
which is your anchor. Then sew another two times curving your
needle up through the 3 circles you just made. When it's
secure, split the ponytail in half and go up through the knot with
the thread two or three times.

Once the anchor is totally secured start weaving in and out
along the hair line like your basket weaving. Use one hand flat
against the clients head as close to the hair line as you can
while weaving in and out very close to the scalp with the other.
You do this until you get all the way around the head. The
thread must be kept very taunt around the hairline at all times
or you will have slipage if you leave it too loose. When you get
to the finish point on the other side make another ponytail
creating your second anchor.

Once completed, start backstitching over the weaved thread
making your track more secure. Keep backstitching over the
weaved thread until you get back to your first anchor you made.
This is how each tracks is created. Then sew on your weft,
hand tied being the better choice for the flatest look. You can
leave some of the clients hair out between tracks then make
your next track. You may prefer to use a straight needle for this
method. This method used to be called The Laser Weave.

Metalgirl~I so happy to hear you like the Integration video. I
have been planning on getting that one for the longest time. I
have 4 of her videos already. I really like her videos!! $$$$

Sorry to go off subject, but I actually wanted to ask you
personally about Shrink Links. I just got an e-mail from them
about taking the course. I wanted to ask you if you saw any
damage with this method at all. I want to do the safest method
possible for fine, thinner type textures that can't handle fusion.
Would you recommend I go on the course or do you know
another course that would be better for this hair type. I'm
weaved out!! Would love your input.....thanks

Edited by Save~A~Stray
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 10:17am
thats interesting that the video in the tripod link is under $50. But Lishas video is $175. It looks like the same video.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 11:14am
hmmm I sent an email off to the tripod link at the top of the thread and it got returned to me, unknown user address....bummer I really was interested, but not at $175.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 12:52pm
Save-a-stray's description is exactly the same as the pole method only using one piece of string instead of three. The result is the same. It did not last three months, that's for sure, but it did last 6 weeks which for my fine hair was a world record. I suppose it would have lasted 3 months, but as my hair grew out, the wefts hung like a curtain and drove me crazy. At 6 weeks I couldn't stand it anymore. If a person's hair grows very slowly like some black women's hair, it could last much longer, that's true.
The only drawback was the garbage hair I bought at - yes, hairpiece - which was toasted at 6 weeks.
It was handtied weft, but the usual matted dried doghair after about a month.
You know, if there was a person near me who did this method, Malaysian or whatever, I would go there - it really is a great method- long lasting, non damaging. If any of you stylist ladies are interested in learning it, you really should cuz you could sell the hell out of it. $850 sounds a bit steep, tho - that Dena charged $60 a track and I had 4.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 1:01pm
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 2:40pm
Save-A-Stray,

Does the name 'Save - a Stray' refer to animals? If so, that's very cool. I have apopted many rescued animals, which includes my 2 dogs, cats,****atiel, and 2 donkeys!

Anyway, I totally feel that the shrink link method is a good one. I wore them personally for about 3 years, and my hair is very fine and thin, and I was no worse for the wear. I have not seen breakage an any client, and I have been doing this method (among others) for about 5 years or so.

The only downside of this method is that if the client is very oily or they are in water a lot (swimming, etc) these will tend to slip out faster. For most people, they do stay in the hair very well for about 10-12 weeks, and as that 12 week theshold comes near, they do tend to slip out at a faster rate, but that's ok, you don't want anyone wearing any kind of extensions longer than 12 weeks anyway.

If the hair is very thin, you want to be careful in your sectioning, because if you don't use enough hair to which you are attaching the perma plug, you could get 'root pull'. But that is not unique to this system, it could happen to any extension if you don't take enough hair in your section.

That's why I now personally prefer wefts on myself, because I like to wear a lot of hair (8 ounces) and I really don't have enough natural hair to attach 8 ounces of any strand method extension, so I use clip in's. Extensions have not damaged my hair, my hair is just genetically bad hair.

MB sells really great quality hair, which they get from Extensions Plus, or you can provide them with another source of hair, which they make into their 'perma plugs' The perma plugs are tipped with hard plastic and stays in tact and doesn't melt under heat, so you can reuse the hair for 1-2 years. And yes, the hair is decent enough to last 1-2 years without getting tangled and matty.

I have expiremented with using hair that I pretipped myself with Liquid Gold, and I find that hair sheds over time with this method. With the perma plug's hard platic tip keeping the hair in tact, this hair does not shed at all over the duration of wearing.

With removal, you just reheat with flat iron and it all comes right out. They have a residue remover that you spray on the residue, rub with cotton sqaure, and it comes right out.

Also, before you put them in the hair, it's important (and I'm sure they would tell you this) to wash the hair 3 times with dish soap. If you don't do this, the shrink links could slip out prematurely.

I really haven't had any problems with this system or company. Soon I guess they are going to start working the hair shows to 'debut' this product (15 years in the making) and they asked me if I'd like to work the shows with them doing demos, etc.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions if you have any.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 7:32pm
Metalgirl~ Thank you so much for your reply, you are an
extremely helpful person I see on the board. Very much
appreciated!!

Yes, I am involved in animal rescue. I just do it independantly,
trapping strays and taking them to be spayed and neutered.

I really want to go on that course now. I am all amped up !! I
am only interested in using top quality hair. I tried looking up
Extensions Plus....do they have a website or do you perhaps
know the location? I will travel to go get some good quality
hair.Thanks again for your reply

Edited by Save~A~Stray
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:16pm
Save-a-stray:

That's wonderful you are with ferrel animals! Right now, my dog and I are in a 'pet partner' training course to become certified so we can go visit sick/disabled people in hospitals. I love animals and I like the thought that healing can be achieved thourgh the loving energy of animals.

Anyway, back to hair:

Extension Plus
17738 1/2 Sherman Way
Receda, CA 91335
(818) 881-5611

They have a website homepage, but it's been under construction for some time now.

You will have to send a copy of your cosmetology license before they will send you a price list.
maliburum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maliburum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:22pm
Hi ladies subject title caught my attention. I am interested in learning new ways of doing extensions also. I was wondering if it was ok to suggest a video trade off between members? If this is not a good thing by the admin, then I understand but I think it might be helpful for someone that maybe has videos that they have watched and no longer need.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:31pm
Syren~Sorry if my post wasn't clear. It is just one thread that is
threaded around the base 3 times or so to make a secure
anchor. It's not like three pieces of string wrapped around it.
They have so many different names for methods that it get
pretty confusing. I always hope I'm not going to go on a new
course and I already know the method, that its just been called
something else. I love learning new methods!! I can't get
enough!! The only videos I have bought are Lisha Coleman's
which I do recommend buying. I have bought all of the Hair To
Go weave collection. They are homemade videos but are pretty
good for picking up different weave patterns. I like the Perfect
Hair Extension video as far as methods go. The videos are
quite entertaining to watch. My next purchase will be the Micro-
illusions and the Integration videos. If I find any other good
tapes I will be sure to post and let you all know about it.

Edited by Save~A~Stray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:47pm
Metalgirl~ Isn't it the great most rewarding job ever.

Thanks for the info of the hair company. I will look into getting
some of their hair. I will have to send them my New York
License for now. I moved to LA last year and applied in august
for state board testing. I called them in november and they said
my date would come shortly....I'm still waiting!!

Edited by Save~A~Stray
Skyeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:57pm
Hi Save a Stray,

Thank you so much for providing how-to info on the Malaysian Weave. I have some questions regarding the Malaysian Method- hope their not too confusing. I'm about to get out my mannequin head and practice and I really want to learn this method. Exactly how many knots do you make at each anchor? Is it one before you split the ponytail and one after? Also, when you bring the thread back to the other side to the first anchor, do you have to follow the same "basketweave" pattern you did on the first run? What do you mean by "backstitch"? When you come back to the first anchor, do you knot it again?
skyeam
Skyeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 8:57pm
Hi Save a Stray,

Thank you so much for providing how-to info on the Malaysian Weave. I have some questions regarding the Malaysian Method- hope their not too confusing. I'm about to get out my mannequin head and practice and I really want to learn this method. Exactly how many knots do you make at each anchor? Is it one before you split the ponytail and one after? Also, when you bring the thread back to the other side to the first anchor, do you have to follow the same "basketweave" pattern you did on the first run? What do you mean by "backstitch"? When you come back to the first anchor, do you knot it again?
skyeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 9:18pm
Skyeam~ I will come back in a few and talk you through the
exact method,....amount of knots and things for sure!!

Edited by Save~A~Stray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic