Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

? FOR JENNY RR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LISA LISA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LISA LISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? FOR JENNY RR
    Posted: March 02 2005 at 2:05pm
I haven't had time to read much on here lately and I noticed the new picture you have. Is that your hair?????? If so, it's absolutely beautiful. It looks like mine did when I had the extensions in. I don't remember what technique you use, and I was wondering if you have a hard time keeping them in without sliding out every time you take a brush to your hair. I was starting to wonder if maybe having the hair (24") so long was the reason they kept coming out. What do ya think? I really don't want to put them back in but I CAN'T STAND the way my hair looks. It's amazing how just having beautiful hair makes you feel so much prettier. I don't even want to really go out and do anything because I feel so ugly. My own hair grows so slow, I know it would take a few years to get any kind of length on it. Thanks Jen! Oh yeah! do you do the maint on your hair?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 7:20pm
Hey Lisa,

It's good to hear from you. If I remember correctly, the last time you posted, you were looking for a bag to put over your head. You're sounding a bit better now; I'm glad to hear it. I believe others were recommending clip-in extensions, which are certainly an option for you.

If you're still interested in trying another nonremovable method, I would recommend pinchbraids or heat seals (if you want it done in a salon); for DIY, I would recommend extendtubes or shrinkies. My hair in the pic is pinchbraided synthetic hair (a mix of Dome and PlastikHaar brands). I'm extremely happy with the hair; I've tried about 10 brands of human hair, and I like this hair better so far, and it's a fraction of the price (like $13 to $28 a bag). Fina, Merguthrie, and Kalika have also used this same basic hair (with a few variations on color and texture), and we're all pretty pleased, so you may want to check out those show-offs too.

Like you, I had a terrible time with hairlocs and GLs; I don't like either of those methods at all. Afterward, I switched to pinchbraids, which are much gentler on the hair; plus, they never slip (at least mine don't), so I recommend it highly. And it has nothing to do with the length of the hair--mine in the pic is 28", and I haven't lost one yet. That said, any of the other methods I mentioned above may also be good options for you. Another plus? Even if you get your hair done by someone (rather than DIY), the whole thing will probably cost you about one-fifth of the price you were paying for those other brands.

Anyway, there's lots of info. here on these methods if you're interested. If you want to give your hair a break, that's certainly understandable, and you could enhance it with clip-ins when you feel like it. But if you feel that you want to try extensions again, don't feel like there are no options--sometimes it takes a lot of shopping around to find the best method for you.

Good luck! :)
LISA LISA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LISA LISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 5:33pm
Thanks for the info Jen! Yep! After finally deciding if I wanted to wear paper or plastic, I decided on the paper bag. :-) Can you tell me what the difference is between Hairloc's method and extentubes? I think the extentubes are the one's I bought from Hairpiece.com when I bought the kit to do them myself. Anyway, they didn't stay in my hair any better than the Hairloc's. It seems like the pinchbraids would really pull on your hair. How long have you been doing this method? I wish you and Amm lived by me and would start having classes on all this extension stuff. You both seem to be so UP on the latest and greatest methods and supplies. Anyway, thanks again Sweetie. I wish I could figure out how to put my pictures on here so you could see the difference. Maybe some day! :-)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 7:24pm
Well, the major differences between the hairlocs and the extendtubes would be: A) price; B) the ability to maintain extentubes yourself as needed; C) the lack of copper in extendtubes (and therefore lack of copper-related tarnish and damage); and D) the fact that there have been numerous compaints about damage under the shell with hairlocs, while I have heard no such complaints about the extentubes.

Now, if the extendtubes tend to slip too, that's not the best case scenario, but at least you've got the tools and supplies to replace them as needed. If you need to replace 10 a week or so, that's kind of a drag, but it's certainly better than paying someone thousands of dollars to do it. Some people have lots of slipping with extendtubes, while others have none, so it seems to depend a lot on hair type and your care/styling regimen.

As far as the braids pulling on the hair, I don't think they do so more than any other method. I've been wearing pinchbraids for over a year now, and I'm very pleased. They are much safer, imo, than hairlocs or fusion.

Good luck! :)
lisa lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 12:23pm
Hey Jenny, Unfortunately I was losing about 6 or 7 extensions a day. And I was EXTREMELY careful when brushing my hair, washing, etc.....Far too much work to have to mess with on a daily basis, or even once a week for that matter. As far as the pinchbraids, how many extensions would you say you lose a week?
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 12:52pm
Hey LisaLisa....where are you based?, I think I remember u saying in a previous post that ur based in the UK!?.....maybe i'm wrong!

xx
It doesn't have to be natural to be fabulous!!!/
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:26pm
SPP: I thought Lisa was in CA, but I'm getting hazy on the details lately. :)

Lisa: You were losing 6 to 7 extendtubes a day!? When did you install them? (The last I remember, you'd just removed the hairlocs and were leaving your hair alone for awhile.)

Anyway, with that kind of slippage, clearly the extendtubes are not an option for you. If you want to resell your supplies, I imagine you'd be able to do so on this board.

As far as the pinchbraids, I never lose them. Seriously. Well, I actually lost one immediately after installation a couple of months ago, but losing one in a year's time is a dream as far as I'm concerned. This said, I can't guarantee that you'll have the same results, but I do think it's quite a bit more secure than the linking methods.

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic